1st year big-city prosecutor taking questions Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
sprezzatura

New

Re: 1st year big-city prosecutor taking questions

Post by sprezzatura » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:39 pm

Sorry I'm not being clear. I thought you took my "whatever else" to mean non-legal jobs in the private sector; I meant legal jobs in the private sector (biglaw, smaller firms and private practice). And yeah, I was wondering whether it's easier (or more advisable) to spend a few years in a non-government legal job before going into a DA's office. But it appears that you can go straight from law school to a prosecutor's job, so I think I've got my answer.
As for your back and forth with the other guy - TL;DR

articulably suspect

Bronze

Post by articulably suspect » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:18 pm

sprezzatura wrote:Sorry I'm not being clear. I thought you took my "whatever else" to mean non-legal jobs in the private sector; I meant legal jobs in the private sector (biglaw, smaller firms and private practice). And yeah, I was wondering whether it's easier (or more advisable) to spend a few years in a non-government legal job before going into a DA's office. But it appears that you can go straight from law school to a prosecutor's job, so I think I've got my answer.
As for your back and forth with the other guy - TL;DR
Yes, once you pass the bar you can apply and get offered a job as a prosecutor right after ls. What is advisable, would be taking certain classes and doing well in them(ie crim, trial advocacy, etc), interning at a DA's office/LE/public service related work(both in LS and before if you're not already attending ls), take part in the clinics, moot court, and don't do anything stupid between now and the end of ls that will result in a criminal record. Oh, and going to a good school and graduating top of your class won't hurt either. I haven't heard that law review, although a big deal for prospective clerks, Biglaw associates, etc., has a huge impact, but it does look good.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:48 pm

Reposting this b/c I think it got lost when the thread went AWOL...

Can a law clerk position in one county help to get you a post-bar position in a different county? I was just offered a 2L law clerk position in a district attorney's office for a large county (~1.5 million). I would love to work there after I graduate; unfortunately, there is a hiring freeze in the county that may or may not be lifted before I graduate. Even if it is, my interviewer made clear that getting a position is very competitive.

Also, any ideas on how small/mid-sized plaintiff's firms feel about students who worked in a DA's office their 2L summer?

lsb

Bronze

Post by lsb » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Reposting this b/c I think it got lost when the thread went AWOL...

Can a law clerk position in one county help to get you a post-bar position in a different county? I was just offered a 2L law clerk position in a district attorney's office for a large county (~1.5 million). I would love to work there after I graduate; unfortunately, there is a hiring freeze in the county that may or may not be lifted before I graduate. Even if it is, my interviewer made clear that getting a position is very competitive.

Also, any ideas on how small/mid-sized plaintiff's firms feel about students who worked in a DA's office their 2L summer?

Good question.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:07 pm

There is a clerk at my plaintiff's firm who worked at the DA's office her 2L year. In general, I think it is a good thing. According to the hiring attorney, he is interested in seeing litigation experience/interest. He equates that with clerk work, DA work, and general lit. work, (in that order).

He has seen a lot of finance related experience/resumes float by him, and impressive ones at that, but he says that they look like they are looking for a job, not looking at the position for something they are actually interested in.

There are really two attorneys who hire at my firm. One likes moot court experience, the other looks for journal experience.

One of the partners was a DA, so anyone with DA work gets a nod.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

articulably suspect

Bronze

Post by articulably suspect » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Reposting this b/c I think it got lost when the thread went AWOL...

Experience is experience. I don't think they care that much about where you interned, they care more about the level of exposure you got, what you did, "true believer" type, etc. If you really want to work for a DA's office there are a lot of things you can do to help you get there.

Re: the small/mid-sized plaintiff firms, I have no clue, but I woud guess that working for those firms would be the better choice if you think you want to go that route and working there is an option. I don't think 2L at a DA's office would necessarily be a deal breaker though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:24 pm

What type of employment/Where should I be applying and looking for 1L summer? I'll probably try for my local USAO but if I can't get that then should I volunteer for a DA's office? I was thinking that working in a DA's office my 2L summer would be best, especially if that's the office I would want to be at after graduation.

Any law school activities that could look good beyond the obvious? Obviously moot court is good but do DA's offices care about law review as much as others? I'd try for law review but if it's not going to be a huge difference or deal maker for working in a DA's office then I'd rather focus my energy on getting onto moot court and doing a good job there. My school also has a mock trial program. Should I do moot court or mock trial or both? Thoughts? My school's law review is write on so anyone can try for it. There is a prosecutorial externship I should be able to do with the local DA's office my 3L year. It's not where I want to end up but I'll probably try for that too for the experience.

I also go to a school where local state ties probably matter. I don't know if when I graduate the DA's office in the city I'd want to work in that is in the state my school is in will be hiring. They may or may not. If I leave and go to another out of state office in a larger city, will it look bad when applying to jobs in state?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:40 pm

Ok, so I accepted a position at a DA's office for 2L summer. Any advice on books to read, classes to take (beyond the obvious) to get pumped and kick butt so they actually offer me a job?

edgarderby

Bronze

Post by edgarderby » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:05 pm

How does someone apply for these jobs? 99% of the time I write to one, they won't even respond as to whether they are hiring or not. I don't need a big city, I just want something that pays better than minimum wage.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:48 pm

It sounds like most of the ADAs hired are new graduates. In your opinion, how would a biglaw associate with a couple years of experience be viewed as a job candidate? I am interning at a DA's office right now and I really love the lifestyle and the work, but I also want to earn as much as I can after graduation to start up a nice retirement account and not look like a gold-digger and a variety of reasons I'm not really sure of.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”