Attractive females and SA hiring

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: Attractive females and SA hiring

Postby OperaSoprano » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:30 pm

rayiner wrote:
teaadntoast wrote:
rayiner wrote: Shoes and sports cars.


That's it?

A convertible and some loafers and you'll raise the kids?


I like coupes. Convertibles sacrifice torsional rigidity and in any case wind dries out my hair. As for shoes, I prefer lace-up ones: --LinkRemoved-- .

In other words, yeah, that's it...


Points are awarded for good taste. You have the true makings of a househusband, Ray. :lol:

articulably suspect
Posts: 304
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:01 am

Re: Attractive females and SA hiring

Postby articulably suspect » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:05 pm

ejjones wrote:
prospect14 wrote:I'm being curious here, but is there any credence to the notion that physically attractive females that have unremarkable credentials from a lower T1, T2, T3, T4 school get hired in biglaw because of their looks?


Um maybe. All I can say, is I've been on several firm pages where there were a lot of attractive females, disproportionately so it seemed. I think most of them went to good schools or strong regional T2s. I don' tknow if they passed up more qualified candidates, who knows? Basically, this post is kinda ridiculous. I don't think the sexiest females from Cooley has a shot at Biglaw or any T4.


Here's what I wrote in response to your original post. You keep suggesting that I'm stretching/tweaking what you wrote into something else. Most people on here would agree that mentioning T3/4s in the same sentence as Biglaw job prospects is ridiculous.

What notion, where did the notion that T3/4 graduates with unremarkable credentials and who are attractive land Biglaw jobs come from? Yes, it probably has happened, that doesn't mean it gives credence to this "notion". WM(T3) before the shit storm placed around 5% according to NLJ. Do you think that those 5% were unremarkable? In general, T3/4 schools place very few, if any now, of their students in Biglaw jobs. With so little placing in Biglaw, does it make more sense that these individuals getting Biglaw jobs performed remarkably or unremarkably at their school? FWIW, I would guess, all thing being equal, that attractive men and women probably do have an edge on the competition.
Last edited by articulably suspect on Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
BradyToMoss
Posts: 259
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:00 pm

Re: Attractive females and SA hiring

Postby BradyToMoss » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:16 pm

This could have been a great thread given the subject matter. What a failure.

prospect14
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:54 pm

Re: Attractive females and SA hiring

Postby prospect14 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:49 pm

ejjones wrote:
ejjones wrote:
prospect14 wrote:I'm being curious here, but is there any credence to the notion that physically attractive females that have unremarkable credentials from a lower T1, T2, T3, T4 school get hired in biglaw because of their looks?


Um maybe. All I can say, is I've been on several firm pages where there were a lot of attractive females, disproportionately so it seemed. I think most of them went to good schools or strong regional T2s. I don' tknow if they passed up more qualified candidates, who knows? Basically, this post is kinda ridiculous. I don't think the sexiest females from Cooley has a shot at Biglaw or any T4.


Here's what I wrote in response to your original post. You keep suggesting that I'm stretching/tweaking what you wrote into something else. Most people on here would agree that mentioning T3/4s in the same sentence as Biglaw job prospects is ridiculous.

What notion, where did the notion that T3/4 graduates with unremarkable credentials and who are attractive land Biglaw jobs come from? Yes, it probably has happened, that doesn't mean it gives credence to this "notion". WM(T3) before the shit storm placed around 5% according to NLJ. Do you think that those 5% were unremarkable? In general, T3/4 schools place very few, if any now, of their students in Biglaw jobs. With so little placing in Biglaw, does it make more sense that these individuals getting Biglaw jobs performed remarkably or unremarkably at their school? FWIW, I would guess, all thing being equal, that attractive men and women probably do have an edge on the competition.


So you have bone to pick with me because I included the T3/4?

The thread was just an idea born from the banter in the comments sections on the abovethelaw blog, just anonymous posters stating some attractive females got a 'pussy pass' into biglaw. I'm assuming 'pussy pass' means they probably didn't have much going for them besides looks. Fine, I'll change 'notion' to gossipy rumors. Happy?

shadowfish
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon May 05, 2008 7:09 pm

Re: Attractive females and SA hiring

Postby shadowfish » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:10 pm

BradyToMoss wrote:This could have been a great thread given the subject matter. What a failure.

+1

I'm curious about what difference attractiveness makes for students who are well-situated for the job. I'm sure it's hard to tell ITE, but any thoughts? Most people at my school are quiet about callbacks, and there also aren't many people who are absolutely stunning or who are run-for-the-hills ugly (and some of the people who I would put in this latter category are on Law Review, which probably negates the effect). I'm definitely one of the less attractive people and in the bottom 10% of fashion sense, but it's hard for me to tell if I'm getting dinged b/c of ITE, bad interview, or whether they chose between me and someone with my grades based on some intangible personality assessment. I doubt they explicitly take into account attractiveness, but how someone looks affects how s/he comes across.

If someone has any info on the ATL-alleged Katten "pussy passes," though, that would be a pretty extreme example of attractiveness factoring in...

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: Attractive females and SA hiring

Postby OperaSoprano » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:31 pm

shadowfish wrote:
BradyToMoss wrote:This could have been a great thread given the subject matter. What a failure.

+1

I'm curious about what difference attractiveness makes for students who are well-situated for the job. I'm sure it's hard to tell ITE, but any thoughts? Most people at my school are quiet about callbacks, and there also aren't many people who are absolutely stunning or who are run-for-the-hills ugly (and some of the people who I would put in this latter category are on Law Review, which probably negates the effect). I'm definitely one of the less attractive people and in the bottom 10% of fashion sense, but it's hard for me to tell if I'm getting dinged b/c of ITE, bad interview, or whether they chose between me and someone with my grades based on some intangible personality assessment. I doubt they explicitly take into account attractiveness, but how someone looks affects how s/he comes across.

If someone has any info on the ATL-alleged Katten "pussy passes," though, that would be a pretty extreme example of attractiveness factoring in...


I don't think any of it is explicit, nor do I think it's uniformly bad, except as it leads to misconduct and harassment on the job. I have a well developed sense of style (it would be embarrassing if I didn't, given my alma mater) and half of TLS has met me and can better evaluate my appearance. That said, I hardly expect that any physical attributes I might or might not possess will cut me a break if I am unqualified.

I've done some reading about the impact of physical attractiveness (specifically in women) in hiring, and one author's contention was that it was seen as a bonus for positions requiring client interaction. Waitresses, receptionists/admin, PR assistants, and those employed in anything traditionally considered "pink collar" definitely get the attractiveness bump, at least according to this author. In positions requiring gravity and responsibility, however, the author believes that applicants who come across as young and pretty are at a disadvantage, whatever their qualifications. Legal practice presumably combines client interaction with considerable responsibility, so I'm not quite sure how this plays out.

User avatar
steve_nash
Posts: 256
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:35 pm

Re: Attractive females and SA hiring

Postby steve_nash » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:36 pm

BradyToMoss wrote:This could have been a great thread given the subject matter. What a failure.


.
Last edited by steve_nash on Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

02082010
Posts: 2034
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: Attractive females and SA hiring

Postby 02082010 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:37 pm

Complete off-topic, but did anyone pick up the latest Maxim with the list of the hottest college girls in America? OS, do you know the girl from FIT? Her name is Emilia. I'm sure they would get biglaw jobs even if they went to TTTs.

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: Attractive females and SA hiring

Postby OperaSoprano » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:06 am

hopefulundergrad wrote:Complete off-topic, but did anyone pick up the latest Maxim with the list of the hottest college girls in America? OS, do you know the girl from FIT? Her name is Emilia. I'm sure they would get biglaw jobs even if they went to TTTs.


Probably not, since FIT's a huge school. I wonder if she put that on her resume.

I'm 5'7" and used to be around 115 pounds. I did some fit modeling in UG (working with technical designers, and thus nothing like being photographed for men's magazines), and it's certainly not something I'm putting on my professional resume. Ten pounds heavier and much healthier, I tend to shake my head at the modeling industry in general. I'm friends with a couple of the girls who are walking for smaller designers during fashion week, and I'm glad I was never tall enough/skinny enough to jump in that snake pit. (Editorial/runway models don't even need to be conventionally beautiful, provided they have the right measurements and some sort of striking look.)

Thread derail now over. Back to discussing attractive people in the workplace.

User avatar
observationalist
Posts: 472
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:55 pm

Re: Attractive females and SA hiring

Postby observationalist » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:11 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
shadowfish wrote:
BradyToMoss wrote:This could have been a great thread given the subject matter. What a failure.

+1

I'm curious about what difference attractiveness makes for students who are well-situated for the job. I'm sure it's hard to tell ITE, but any thoughts? Most people at my school are quiet about callbacks, and there also aren't many people who are absolutely stunning or who are run-for-the-hills ugly (and some of the people who I would put in this latter category are on Law Review, which probably negates the effect). I'm definitely one of the less attractive people and in the bottom 10% of fashion sense, but it's hard for me to tell if I'm getting dinged b/c of ITE, bad interview, or whether they chose between me and someone with my grades based on some intangible personality assessment. I doubt they explicitly take into account attractiveness, but how someone looks affects how s/he comes across.

If someone has any info on the ATL-alleged Katten "pussy passes," though, that would be a pretty extreme example of attractiveness factoring in...


I don't think any of it is explicit, nor do I think it's uniformly bad, except as it leads to misconduct and harassment on the job. I have a well developed sense of style (it would be embarrassing if I didn't, given my alma mater) and half of TLS has met me and can better evaluate my appearance. That said, I hardly expect that any physical attributes I might or might not possess will cut me a break if I am unqualified.

I've done some reading about the impact of physical attractiveness (specifically in women) in hiring, and one author's contention was that it was seen as a bonus for positions requiring client interaction. Waitresses, receptionists/admin, PR assistants, and those employed in anything traditionally considered "pink collar" definitely get the attractiveness bump, at least according to this author. In positions requiring gravity and responsibility, however, the author believes that applicants who come across as young and pretty are at a disadvantage, whatever their qualifications. Legal practice presumably combines client interaction with considerable responsibility, so I'm not quite sure how this plays out.


I don't really want to comment on the whole thread, but at least regarding the bolded I will say that one of the main group observations made in my externship course last year (where everyone serving a local externship would meet to talk about what we were working on) was that many of the younger women in the class had a major problem earning respect from their clients in the beginning. The initial assumption of their clients (many of whom were older women) was that the students were just teenagers instead of women and should be treated as such. Ageism when combined with attractiveness probably makes it worse, but I think it mainly comes down to what sort of attractiveness you're talking about. If a woman is young and attractive and comes off as young and inexperienced, then they're going to have problems in the workplace no matter how attractive they are until they can figure out a way to portray themselves as mature (or perhaps intelligent and trustworthy.) They still face a higher risk of sexual discrimination in the workplace than men, but hopefully not as severe as it used to be.

Unfortunately for you women, very few can grow beards as quickly as I can. When I was 22 I took a job where I had to direct 50-year old engineers... in the first month I grew a beard and that pretty much ended my fears of being viewed as an uppity college grad.


OperaSoprano wrote:I tend to shake my head at the modeling industry in general. I'm friends with a couple of the girls who are walking for smaller designers during fashion week, and I'm glad I was never tall enough/skinny enough to jump in that snake pit. (Editorial/runway models don't even need to be conventionally beautiful, provided they have the right measurements and some sort of striking look.)

Thread derail now over. Back to discussing attractive people in the workplace.


OS, if you're ever looking for a fundraiser at school you might want to think about hosting a fashion show. They apparently do it here at the UG every year (YCRev, care to comment?) and I hear it does well. Our Law Students for Social Justice is hosting its second annual pub crawl next month which will hopefully raise enough to send a few students to do legal aid over spring break, either in Bangladesh, New Orleans, or with a Native American group in Phoenix. But assuming you can get enough of your classmates to walk, I bet it'd be a pretty funny event.

FrankReynolds
Posts: 113
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: Attractive females and SA hiring

Postby FrankReynolds » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:16 am

http://www.salvatoreferragamo.it/en/#itemId=02---5455&folderId=/en/men/shoes&


hehe those are the shoes I wear for interviews -_-

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: Attractive females and SA hiring

Postby OperaSoprano » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:45 am

observationalist wrote:
I don't really want to comment on the whole thread, but at least regarding the bolded I will say that one of the main group observations made in my externship course last year (where everyone serving a local externship would meet to talk about what we were working on) was that many of the younger women in the class had a major problem earning respect from their clients in the beginning. The initial assumption of their clients (many of whom were older women) was that the students were just teenagers instead of women and should be treated as such. Ageism when combined with attractiveness probably makes it worse, but I think it mainly comes down to what sort of attractiveness you're talking about. If a woman is young and attractive and comes off as young and inexperienced, then they're going to have problems in the workplace no matter how attractive they are until they can figure out a way to portray themselves as mature (or perhaps intelligent and trustworthy.) They still face a higher risk of sexual discrimination in the workplace than men, but hopefully not as severe as it used to be.

Unfortunately for you women, very few can grow beards as quickly as I can. When I was 22 I took a job where I had to direct 50-year old engineers... in the first month I grew a beard and that pretty much ended my fears of being viewed as an uppity college grad.


OperaSoprano wrote:I tend to shake my head at the modeling industry in general. I'm friends with a couple of the girls who are walking for smaller designers during fashion week, and I'm glad I was never tall enough/skinny enough to jump in that snake pit. (Editorial/runway models don't even need to be conventionally beautiful, provided they have the right measurements and some sort of striking look.)

Thread derail now over. Back to discussing attractive people in the workplace.


OS, if you're ever looking for a fundraiser at school you might want to think about hosting a fashion show. They apparently do it here at the UG every year (YCRev, care to comment?) and I hear it does well. Our Law Students for Social Justice is hosting its second annual pub crawl next month which will hopefully raise enough to send a few students to do legal aid over spring break, either in Bangladesh, New Orleans, or with a Native American group in Phoenix. But assuming you can get enough of your classmates to walk, I bet it'd be a pretty funny event.


You grew a beard, Observationalist? Pics or it didn't happen! :mrgreen: I just attempted to imagine you with a beard and failed. Do you know YCRev? I remember he told me he went to Vandy for UG. He's completely awesome, but back on topic.

I get treated like a damsel in distress wherever I go. I've even run into people who do a double take when I tell them I'm a law student, and where I'm going. I'm certainly not exceptional in appearance, nor do I think I behave outlandishly, at least in professional settings. Hence, if it's happening to me, it's certainly happening to many women my age. I'm hoping that a high enough first year GPA will force people to treat me as a responsible adult, which I am most of the time.

Do you know what your female classmates did to get themselves taken more seriously? I honestly am a little bit worried about this, though I know it should be the least of my worries.

I also have to say that a fashion show sounds like fun. I know a few people who would participate...

FrankReynolds
Posts: 113
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: Attractive females and SA hiring

Postby FrankReynolds » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:07 am

OS: Attractive, well-dressed girls definitely seem to be taken less seriously. My guess is that the majority of girls in law school project a high level of sophistication--perhaps for the same reasons you are worried about people not taking you serious. Many tone down their makeup and attire for class. And I I have seen a few attractive, well-dressed girls being moderately discriminated against by female professors.

Fortunately, job interviews bring everyone on a level playing field, since everyone needs to dress up. I wouldn't worry about it too much, as it seems the weird looks you get are coming from those outside the legal profession. As you guessed, within the legal profession your grades have the capacity to speak very highly of your intellect. Sure, you will always come into contact with some people who just think you got the job because of XYZ, but that is just an unfortunate aspect for many groups, and all you can really do is overlook it and work hard. You seem to be very sociable, and that is a big chunk of doing well in the legal profession once you acquire the basic skillset.

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: Attractive females and SA hiring

Postby OperaSoprano » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:37 am

FrankReynolds wrote:OS: Attractive, well-dressed girls definitely seem to be taken less seriously. My guess is that the majority of girls in law school project a high level of sophistication--perhaps for the same reasons you are worried about people not taking you serious. Many tone down their makeup and attire for class. And I I have seen a few attractive, well-dressed girls being moderately discriminated against by female professors.

Fortunately, job interviews bring everyone on a level playing field, since everyone needs to dress up. I wouldn't worry about it too much, as it seems the weird looks you get are coming from those outside the legal profession. As you guessed, within the legal profession your grades have the capacity to speak very highly of your intellect. Sure, you will always come into contact with some people who just think you got the job because of XYZ, but that is just an unfortunate aspect for many groups, and all you can really do is overlook it and work hard. You seem to be very sociable, and that is a big chunk of doing well in the legal profession once you acquire the basic skillset.


Frank, thank you for sharing your own observations. You are right, it is mostly people outside of the legal profession who question my desire to go to law school. I'm drawn to the law in part because people can succeed through their own merit, not only because of family connections or money. I think the advice about dressing simply for class is right on the mark. I know that respect can be earned, and I hope to merit that of my professors and classmates. I've met many wonderful people so far, and have yet to come across discrimination within my law school.

FrankReynolds
Posts: 113
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: Attractive females and SA hiring

Postby FrankReynolds » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:44 am

(Frank is a character on Always Sunny in Philadelphia -_- but...)

It's all up to you--I wouldn't worry so much. Just dress in a way that makes you comfortable. For most girls, that seems to be spending less time getting ready in the morning for 9am classes! But some people feel better or more confident if they get all pretty ;]

No one in law school should have extra stress about how people are gonna treat them based on what they wear!

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: Attractive females and SA hiring

Postby OperaSoprano » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:51 am

FrankReynolds wrote:(Frank is a character on Always Sunny in Philadelphia -_- but...)

It's all up to you--I wouldn't worry so much. Just dress in a way that makes you comfortable. For most girls, that seems to be spending less time getting ready in the morning for 9am classes! But some people feel better or more confident if they get all pretty ;]

No one in law school should have extra stress about how people are gonna treat them based on what they wear!


Oh, my ex really loved that show. :D

Fortunately I don't have any 9am classes, so I'm spared that. I'm probably too unsubtle to be anything else, so I suppose I had better be what I am.

Thank you for the encouragement, though. Off to bed- tomorrow is the first Law Students Against Trafficking meeting. I seriously need to beware of any and all entities with the acronym LSAT...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273582
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Attractive females and SA hiring

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:31 am

There is one mid-law firm in Chicago that has not hired any entry-level associates except women that are at least "8's" for several years.

I also know personally of two very attractive students in my class who got callbacks (#'s and firms) last year that were highly inconsistent with how their class rank and credentials were typically doing.

So yeah, it absolutely happens unless you want to be willfully blind about it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273582
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Attractive females and SA hiring

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:There is one mid-law firm in Chicago that has not hired any entry-level associates except women that are at least "8's" for several years.

I also know personally of two very attractive students in my class who got callbacks (#'s and firms) last year that were highly inconsistent with how their class rank and credentials were typically doing.

So yeah, it absolutely happens unless you want to be willfully blind about it.


Out the firm. Unless you work at the firm I don't see how you can suffer any negative consequences from outing it.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Attractive females and SA hiring

Postby rayiner » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:There is one mid-law firm in Chicago that has not hired any entry-level associates except women that are at least "8's" for several years.

I also know personally of two very attractive students in my class who got callbacks (#'s and firms) last year that were highly inconsistent with how their class rank and credentials were typically doing.

So yeah, it absolutely happens unless you want to be willfully blind about it.


Out the firm. Unless you work at the firm I don't see how you can suffer any negative consequences from outing it.


+1.

articulably suspect
Posts: 304
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:01 am

Re: Attractive females and SA hiring

Postby articulably suspect » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:55 pm

prospect14 wrote:
ejjones wrote:
ejjones wrote:
prospect14 wrote:I'm being curious here, but is there any credence to the notion that physically attractive females that have unremarkable credentials from a lower T1, T2, T3, T4 school get hired in biglaw because of their looks?


Um maybe. All I can say, is I've been on several firm pages where there were a lot of attractive females, disproportionately so it seemed. I think most of them went to good schools or strong regional T2s. I don' tknow if they passed up more qualified candidates, who knows? Basically, this post is kinda ridiculous. I don't think the sexiest females from Cooley has a shot at Biglaw or any T4.


Here's what I wrote in response to your original post. You keep suggesting that I'm stretching/tweaking what you wrote into something else. Most people on here would agree that mentioning T3/4s in the same sentence as Biglaw job prospects is ridiculous.

What notion, where did the notion that T3/4 graduates with unremarkable credentials and who are attractive land Biglaw jobs come from? Yes, it probably has happened, that doesn't mean it gives credence to this "notion". WM(T3) before the shit storm placed around 5% according to NLJ. Do you think that those 5% were unremarkable? In general, T3/4 schools place very few, if any now, of their students in Biglaw jobs. With so little placing in Biglaw, does it make more sense that these individuals getting Biglaw jobs performed remarkably or unremarkably at their school? FWIW, I would guess, all thing being equal, that attractive men and women probably do have an edge on the competition.


So you have bone to pick with me because I included the T3/4?

The thread was just an idea born from the banter in the comments sections on the abovethelaw blog, just anonymous posters stating some attractive females got a 'pussy pass' into biglaw. I'm assuming 'pussy pass' means they probably didn't have much going for them besides looks. Fine, I'll change 'notion' to gossipy rumors. Happy?


So the ATL thread suggested that attractive females with unremarkable credentials from lower T1, T2, T3 and T4s were getting Biglaw jobs? I don't have a bone to pick with you, where's the link? I guess it makes perfect sense that students from schools where Biglaw firms never hired from or particpated in OCIs, would be landing Biglaw jobs now that firms have cutback and limited their hiring to certain schools, vast majorityof which aren't lower T1, T2, T3, T4s. Of the people getting interviews, I'm sure there are instances where attractive females with a lower class rank from a T14 beat out less attractive, but more qualified candidates.

User avatar
observationalist
Posts: 472
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:55 pm

Re: Attractive females and SA hiring

Postby observationalist » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:13 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:You grew a beard, Observationalist? Pics or it didn't happen! :mrgreen: I just attempted to imagine you with a beard and failed. Do you know YCRev? I remember he told me he went to Vandy for UG. He's completely awesome, but back on topic.

I get treated like a damsel in distress wherever I go. I've even run into people who do a double take when I tell them I'm a law student, and where I'm going. I'm certainly not exceptional in appearance, nor do I think I behave outlandishly, at least in professional settings. Hence, if it's happening to me, it's certainly happening to many women my age. I'm hoping that a high enough first year GPA will force people to treat me as a responsible adult, which I am most of the time.

Do you know what your female classmates did to get themselves taken more seriously? I honestly am a little bit worried about this, though I know it should be the least of my worries.

I also have to say that a fashion show sounds like fun. I know a few people who would participate...


I grow beards all the time. Just posted bearded pics from India on Facebook... by the end of the trip one of the autorickshaw drivers said that, at first glance, I looked like a Muslim from the Middle East. A sikh I became friends with was also very impressed with my beard, though his was much better since he'd been growing it for like six years. When I was 22 it was very easy to pull off being 32 just by growing a (nicely trimmed) beard.

In the externship class we tossed around the idea of women dyeing their hair gray and adding crows' feet to their eyes to look older, but I'd be very surprised if anyone thought that wasn't a joke. You'll probably develop a more 'lawyerly look' over time, once you get some experience in legal settings and see how people carry themselves.

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: Attractive females and SA hiring

Postby OperaSoprano » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:49 pm

observationalist wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:You grew a beard, Observationalist? Pics or it didn't happen! :mrgreen: I just attempted to imagine you with a beard and failed. Do you know YCRev? I remember he told me he went to Vandy for UG. He's completely awesome, but back on topic.

I get treated like a damsel in distress wherever I go. I've even run into people who do a double take when I tell them I'm a law student, and where I'm going. I'm certainly not exceptional in appearance, nor do I think I behave outlandishly, at least in professional settings. Hence, if it's happening to me, it's certainly happening to many women my age. I'm hoping that a high enough first year GPA will force people to treat me as a responsible adult, which I am most of the time.

Do you know what your female classmates did to get themselves taken more seriously? I honestly am a little bit worried about this, though I know it should be the least of my worries.

I also have to say that a fashion show sounds like fun. I know a few people who would participate...


I grow beards all the time. Just posted bearded pics from India on Facebook... by the end of the trip one of the autorickshaw drivers said that, at first glance, I looked like a Muslim from the Middle East. A sikh I became friends with was also very impressed with my beard, though his was much better since he'd been growing it for like six years. When I was 22 it was very easy to pull off being 32 just by growing a (nicely trimmed) beard.

In the externship class we tossed around the idea of women dyeing their hair gray and adding crows' feet to their eyes to look older, but I'd be very surprised if anyone thought that wasn't a joke. You'll probably develop a more 'lawyerly look' over time, once you get some experience in legal settings and see how people carry themselves.


Oh my goodness, you carry off a beard quite well. I think you should grow it another six years... I do think it makes you look... not exactly intimidating, but certainly like someone whom anyone would respect.

In my case, I could dye my hair brown and gain 50 pounds. Well, I don't know if the last part would be physiologically possible for me, but I'll never know unless I try. :lol:

I continue to live in abject envy of your many adventures. I hope I make it to India before I die.

User avatar
cvs114
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:38 pm

Re: Attractive females and SA hiring

Postby cvs114 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:31 am

just my thoughts.. don't rip me apart, please. haha, but I think I'm a above avg attractiveness, I go to a T1 law school, speak fluent spanish, made deans list but am certainly not top 10% nor did I try out for law review - I got a few big firm interviews but not ONE callback. So I used to think this held true... maybe still if it came down to myself & someone who looked like a one-eyed troll with the same credentials, it may help but I really think with today's economy and the competitiveness to get jobs it just doesn't matter anymore. Which honestly, could be a good thing.

but side note, I had pink-eye the week of the interviews and had to wear glasses and couldnt wear any make-up and pretty much looked like hell, soo actually now that I think about it maybe it does still hold true. haha. Regardless I don't think it should. I know I wouldn't want to be hired soley on the basis of looks, looks fade and then what - you lose your job?!?

adamlippes
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:04 am

Re: Attractive females and SA hiring

Postby adamlippes » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:15 am

I'm pretty sure Davis Polk only hires attractive people. This suspicion was confirmed by abovethelaw, so now it's fact.

Also, DeadRinger's first post in this thread...

180.

User avatar
Mickey Quicknumbers
Posts: 2177
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: Attractive females and SA hiring

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:34 am

easy on the eyes +1
6' 2" +1
often wears bowties to professional events -2

I'm about even with the world




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.