Attractive females and SA hiring

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Attractive females and SA hiring

Postby rayiner » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:30 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
Matthies wrote:Unfortunately I was not born or hot or female, if I was I would have just married a lawyer rather than going through all the work to become one. Well in a state where you get half at least.


Too close for comfort... seriously.

Me: Shit, I want to go into public interest, but I have ginormous loans. If IBR goes away, I am screwed.

Well meaning friend: I have the perfect solution for you!

Me: You do?

Well meaning friend: Yes! Plenty of Fordham grads go into biglaw, even ITE. Just marry one of your classmates and prosper!

Me: *(()@$)^&)@)&....

I can assure you that this conversation actually happened. (In fact, I heard this from several people.) I didn't go on a profanity bender, but I definitely let the speaker know that I was not about to spend $225k to become someone's trophy wife. I do have several female friends who would jump at such an opportunity, unfortunately. I'm sure you were joking, but it definitely happens.


I don't see your objection to this. I'd love to be a trophy husband. :lol:

Seriously, biglaw-bound TLS chicks. Just continue to buy me pretty things and I'll cook and clean and take care of the babies!

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: Attractive females and SA hiring

Postby OperaSoprano » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:35 pm

Matthies wrote:Belive me if I could have married into it instead of taking the bar I would have. You need to study at NYU or Columbia law libray and find yourself a graduating SCOTUS clerk, get married, have him pay for school, then dump him when you graduate. Problem solved. Starter marrgies are all the rave these days anyway


Not happening, lol. I've sworn off T14 boys forever. Someone had better hold me to it...

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: Attractive females and SA hiring

Postby OperaSoprano » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:38 pm

rayiner wrote:I don't see your objection to this. I'd love to be a trophy husband. :lol:

Seriously, biglaw-bound TLS chicks. Just continue to buy me pretty things and I'll cook and clean and take care of the babies!


Ah, Ray, I would pay good money to see that. All your children would be solving complex equations and building the Notre Dame Cathedral out of K'nex by age two.

User avatar
teaadntoast
Posts: 252
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:31 pm

Re: Attractive females and SA hiring

Postby teaadntoast » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:40 pm

rayiner wrote: I don't see your objection to this. I'd love to be a trophy husband. :lol:


Spoken like someone whose gender hasn't been valued primarily in terms of physcial attractiveness or procreative capacity for, oh, centuries.

:mrgreen:

rayiner wrote: Seriously, biglaw-bound TLS chicks. Just continue to buy me pretty things and I'll cook and clean and take care of the babies!


Define "pretty things."

User avatar
Dead Ringer
Posts: 151
Joined: Mon May 12, 2008 2:07 pm

Re: Attractive females and SA hiring

Postby Dead Ringer » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:12 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
teaadntoast wrote:
Dead Ringer wrote:I see OS is adding some more posts to her all time most moronic. You better be prepared to take what you can get ITE, and I doubt you are subtle enough to even know whether you are being hired for your looks or not.


I believe the bolded portion is what OS is referencing and I have to say that, yeah, absent any additional clarification it looks a lot like somone saying "put up and shut up because there isn't anything better out there right now."


I sort of found the clarification when he explained what about OS' opinion he was objecting to. She was talking about being hired in part because of her looks, not because the interviewer asked for the blow job and she went with it.


Yeah, you understood me. Of course no one should have to tolerate sexual overtures if they are unwanted. I know it would be naive to assume this and other SH is always unavoidable or that a good recourse is always available. You have to do your best to combat it.

This is different than worrying about whether looks or even flirtation helps one get and keep a job in the absence of any uncomfortable situations. Being able to eat/pay rent trumps that concern.

User avatar
BradyToMoss
Posts: 259
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:00 pm

Re: Attractive females and SA hiring

Postby BradyToMoss » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:13 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
Matthies wrote:Unfortunately I was not born or hot or female, if I was I would have just married a lawyer rather than going through all the work to become one. Well in a state where you get half at least.


Too close for comfort... seriously.

Me: Shit, I want to go into public interest, but I have ginormous loans. If IBR goes away, I am screwed.

Well meaning friend: I have the perfect solution for you!

Me: You do?

Well meaning friend: Yes! Plenty of Fordham grads go into biglaw, even ITE. Just marry one of your classmates and prosper!

Me: *(()@$)^&)@)&....

I can assure you that this conversation actually happened. (In fact, I heard this from several people.) I didn't go on a profanity bender, but I definitely let the speaker know that I was not about to spend $225k to become someone's trophy wife. I do have several female friends who would jump at such an opportunity, unfortunately. I'm sure you were joking, but it definitely happens.


I find it pretty difficult to believe that "plenty" of Fordham grads are getting jobs in NY ITE.

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: Attractive females and SA hiring

Postby D. H2Oman » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:15 pm

BradyToMoss wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
Matthies wrote:Unfortunately I was not born or hot or female, if I was I would have just married a lawyer rather than going through all the work to become one. Well in a state where you get half at least.


Too close for comfort... seriously.

Me: Shit, I want to go into public interest, but I have ginormous loans. If IBR goes away, I am screwed.

Well meaning friend: I have the perfect solution for you!

Me: You do?

Well meaning friend: Yes! Plenty of Fordham grads go into biglaw, even ITE. Just marry one of your classmates and prosper!

Me: *(()@$)^&)@)&....

I can assure you that this conversation actually happened. (In fact, I heard this from several people.) I didn't go on a profanity bender, but I definitely let the speaker know that I was not about to spend $225k to become someone's trophy wife. I do have several female friends who would jump at such an opportunity, unfortunately. I'm sure you were joking, but it definitely happens.


I find it pretty difficult to believe that "plenty" of Fordham grads are getting jobs in NY ITE.



I heard the only ones getting jobs were the attractive females.

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: Attractive females and SA hiring

Postby OperaSoprano » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:23 pm

BradyToMoss wrote:
I find it pretty difficult to believe that "plenty" of Fordham grads are getting jobs in NY ITE.


Depends on what you mean by "getting jobs." Plenty of Fordham grads are currently getting jobs (unless you're insinuating that half the class is unemployed), though I would certainly argue that the biglaw metric has changed, and hiring is down. We don't know how bad things are yet. The top of the class seems to be fine, even now. It remains to be seen what will happen with the top quarter to third+, who were traditionally safe for biglaw. Regardless, "plenty" is a subjective measure, and this was not my personal claim. I'm going to wait until I have numbers before claiming anything.

The argument is unchanged, except that my friend might now urge me to follow Matthies's advice and expand my husband shopping to neighboring schools. My personal ban on T14 boys is in effect, though. In light of past misadventures, the answer is no. :lol:

User avatar
teaadntoast
Posts: 252
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:31 pm

Re: Attractive females and SA hiring

Postby teaadntoast » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:31 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:My personal ban on T14 boys is in effect, though. In light of past misadventures, the answer is no. :lol:


*raised eyebrow*

User avatar
joshikousei
Posts: 190
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:38 pm

Re: Attractive females and SA hiring

Postby joshikousei » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:31 pm

coughothernon-lawgradschoolscough

User avatar
teaadntoast
Posts: 252
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:31 pm

Re: Attractive females and SA hiring

Postby teaadntoast » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:35 pm

joshikousei wrote:coughothernon-lawgradschoolscough


What's that?

Did you say, "med students?"

Pearalegal
Posts: 1433
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:50 am

Re: Attractive females and SA hiring

Postby Pearalegal » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:44 pm

teaadntoast wrote:
joshikousei wrote:coughothernon-lawgradschoolscough


What's that?

Did you say, "med students?"


No, it takes them forever to start making money. Go i-banking, or...wait till the economy recovers and go i-banking.

User avatar
actorlaw
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:36 am

Re: Attractive females and SA hiring

Postby actorlaw » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:53 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
BradyToMoss wrote:
I find it pretty difficult to believe that "plenty" of Fordham grads are getting jobs in NY ITE.


Depends on what you mean by "getting jobs." Plenty of Fordham grads are currently getting jobs (unless you're insinuating that half the class is unemployed), though I would certainly argue that the biglaw metric has changed, and hiring is down. We don't know how bad things are yet. The top of the class seems to be fine, even now. It remains to be seen what will happen with the top quarter to third+, who were traditionally safe for biglaw. Regardless, "plenty" is a subjective measure, and this was not my personal claim. I'm going to wait until I have numbers before claiming anything.

The argument is unchanged, except that my friend might now urge me to follow Matthies's advice and expand my husband shopping to neighboring schools. My personal ban on T14 boys is in effect, though. In light of past misadventures, the answer is no. :lol:


I guess that leaves Cardozo, St. Johns, or - if you want to cross the river - Rutgers... or you could be a trophy wife for one of the New York Law School kids...

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Attractive females and SA hiring

Postby rayiner » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:05 pm

teaadntoast wrote:
rayiner wrote: I don't see your objection to this. I'd love to be a trophy husband. :lol:


Spoken like someone whose gender hasn't been valued primarily in terms of physcial attractiveness or procreative capacity for, oh, centuries.

:mrgreen:


I'm sure I'd feel differently if I was socially coerced into getting a high-paying job because my gender has been valued primarily based on ability to support a family for, oh, centuries.

teaadntoast wrote:
rayiner wrote: Seriously, biglaw-bound TLS chicks. Just continue to buy me pretty things and I'll cook and clean and take care of the babies!


Define "pretty things."


Shoes and sports cars.

User avatar
teaadntoast
Posts: 252
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:31 pm

Re: Attractive females and SA hiring

Postby teaadntoast » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:09 pm

rayiner wrote: Shoes and sports cars.


That's it?

A convertible and some loafers and you'll raise the kids?

User avatar
joshikousei
Posts: 190
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:38 pm

Re: Attractive females and SA hiring

Postby joshikousei » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:14 pm

rayiner wrote:
I'm sure I'd feel differently if I was socially coerced into getting a high-paying job because my gender has been valued primarily based on ability to support a family for, oh, centuries.


i laughed. :)

User avatar
teaadntoast
Posts: 252
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:31 pm

Re: Attractive females and SA hiring

Postby teaadntoast » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:18 pm

rayiner wrote:
teaadntoast wrote:
rayiner wrote: I don't see your objection to this. I'd love to be a trophy husband. :lol:


Spoken like someone whose gender hasn't been valued primarily in terms of physcial attractiveness or procreative capacity for, oh, centuries.

:mrgreen:


I'm sure I'd feel differently if I was socially coerced into getting a high-paying job because my gender has been valued primarily based on ability to support a family for, oh, centuries.


I got nothin'.

:lol:

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Attractive females and SA hiring

Postby rayiner » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:26 pm

teaadntoast wrote:
rayiner wrote: Shoes and sports cars.


That's it?

A convertible and some loafers and you'll raise the kids?


I like coupes. Convertibles sacrifice torsional rigidity and in any case wind dries out my hair. As for shoes, I prefer lace-up ones: --LinkRemoved-- .

In other words, yeah, that's it...

articulably suspect
Posts: 304
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:01 am

Re: Attractive females and SA hiring

Postby articulably suspect » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:41 pm

rayiner wrote:
teaadntoast wrote:
rayiner wrote: Shoes and sports cars.


That's it?

A convertible and some loafers and you'll raise the kids?


I like coupes. Convertibles sacrifice torsional rigidity and in any case wind dries out my hair. As for shoes, I prefer lace-up ones: --LinkRemoved-- .

In other words, yeah, that's it...


Need a shoehorn to get your lace-ups out of your mouth. You sound like an ass on a couple of levels.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Attractive females and SA hiring

Postby rayiner » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:53 pm

ejjones wrote:
rayiner wrote:
teaadntoast wrote:
rayiner wrote: Shoes and sports cars.


That's it?

A convertible and some loafers and you'll raise the kids?


I like coupes. Convertibles sacrifice torsional rigidity and in any case wind dries out my hair. As for shoes, I prefer lace-up ones: --LinkRemoved-- .

In other words, yeah, that's it...


Need a shoehorn to get your lace-ups out of your mouth. You sound like an ass on a couple of levels.


What on earth are you talking about?

articulably suspect
Posts: 304
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:01 am

Re: Attractive females and SA hiring

Postby articulably suspect » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:00 pm

:lol:

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: Attractive females and SA hiring

Postby dresden doll » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:13 pm

ejjones wrote:
rayiner wrote:
teaadntoast wrote:
rayiner wrote: Shoes and sports cars.


That's it?

A convertible and some loafers and you'll raise the kids?


I like coupes. Convertibles sacrifice torsional rigidity and in any case wind dries out my hair. As for shoes, I prefer lace-up ones: --LinkRemoved-- .

In other words, yeah, that's it...


Need a shoehorn to get your lace-ups out of your mouth. You sound like an ass on a couple of levels.


Lolwut? Sounds like a man fit for the altar to me.

articulably suspect
Posts: 304
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:01 am

Re: Attractive females and SA hiring

Postby articulably suspect » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:17 pm

Who me?

prospect14
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:54 pm

Re: Attractive females and SA hiring

Postby prospect14 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:16 pm

ejjones wrote:
Yeah, a little. Seemed like more of a joke. Obviously you post here, that doesn't mean this thread should be taken seriously or that you have any credence because you have x number of posts. Cooley is a T4, so you did stretch that far by including T4s in your initial post. If I had thrown in non-ABA schools, than you could suggest that I took what your post stated and went beyond what was written.

Also, I said any T4, but what I should've said is any T2/3/4. Even before the economic shit storm, T3/4 grads didn't have a shot and a very small percentage of T2s placed into Biglaw, so posing the question as to whether one's attractiveness could put a T2/3/4 JD in a Biglaw job is a bit ridiculous. Has it happened, probably.


I included T4's because there are some that do place in their certain/local market at firms that pay that market rate (for example William Mitchell in MN), I'm not totally discounting them just because they are in that tier.

Why are you stretching my question further? All I asked was there any truth to that question. I'm not asking if it happens with regularity or how many have gotten a shot. You said probably. Then that leaves the possibility that it does, doesn't it? I don't see it as a ridiculous question if it does indeed happen.

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: Attractive females and SA hiring

Postby OperaSoprano » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:26 pm

actorlaw wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
BradyToMoss wrote:
I find it pretty difficult to believe that "plenty" of Fordham grads are getting jobs in NY ITE.


Depends on what you mean by "getting jobs." Plenty of Fordham grads are currently getting jobs (unless you're insinuating that half the class is unemployed), though I would certainly argue that the biglaw metric has changed, and hiring is down. We don't know how bad things are yet. The top of the class seems to be fine, even now. It remains to be seen what will happen with the top quarter to third+, who were traditionally safe for biglaw. Regardless, "plenty" is a subjective measure, and this was not my personal claim. I'm going to wait until I have numbers before claiming anything.

The argument is unchanged, except that my friend might now urge me to follow Matthies's advice and expand my husband shopping to neighboring schools. My personal ban on T14 boys is in effect, though. In light of past misadventures, the answer is no. :lol:


I guess that leaves Cardozo, St. Johns, or - if you want to cross the river - Rutgers... or you could be a trophy wife for one of the New York Law School kids...


My roommate says it would be good for my inferiority complex.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.