hawaii

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

hawaii

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:56 pm

has anyone here interviewed with a hawaii law firm?
do these firms only take people with ties to hawaii?
I would not mind working there, as I have had good experiences there. But I have no personal or professional ties at all.
the other day one of the firms try to set me up with an interview with them (video conference), even though they only have my resume and cover letter (no transcript)

Georgiana

Re: hawaii

Postby Georgiana » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:has anyone here interviewed with a hawaii law firm?
I would not mind working there, as I have had good experiences there. But I have no personal or professional ties at all.
the other day one of the firms try to set me up with an interview with them (video conference), even though they only have my resume and cover letter (no transcript)

I've talked to some people (and done a little research) regarding legal employment in HI. They do want you to have ties to the area in some way (this is true of most markets ITE anyway). Also, the compensation for lawyers in HI is not market rate. It is quite a bit lower... just something to think about. If they are willing to interview you, why not do the interview and see what comes out of it. Make sure you have a better "why HI" than "the weather is great/I like the beach/I was there on vacation this one time..."

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:35 pm

Georgiana wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:has anyone here interviewed with a hawaii law firm?

I've talked to some people (and done a little research) regarding legal employment in HI. They do want you to have ties to the area in some way (this is true of most markets ITE anyway). Also, the compensation for lawyers in HI is not market rate. It is quite a bit lower... just something to think about. If they are willing to interview you, why not do the interview and see what comes out of it. Make sure you have a better "why HI" than "the weather is great/I like the beach/I was there on vacation this one time..."

Your not kidding. About half the market rate (~$80K). Would be a pretty sweet deal to live in Hawaii if they paid more (even a $100K would be pretty reasonable to get to live in Hawaii).

emergencybarbie

Postby emergencybarbie » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:39 pm

for almost any kind of employment in HI it is pretty essential to have connections. They don't pay as well and the COL is pretty high. But I agree Georgiana, if they are offering the interview you've got nothing to lose by doing it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:35 am

actually the pay is a little higher. not bad, though, if you really like the place (how many law firms pay 80K to 90K??? )

I just wonder if they interview many people.... I dont no ties at all. unless being asian is one advantage.

lawyeredup

Postby lawyeredup » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:09 am

As a Hawaii resident I would excercise extreme caution before you move there. Be sure that it is what you want because it is EXTREMELY difficult to leave the island once you have an established residence.

I love it there. The culture, the people, the food, the nightlife, of course the beaches......

Not everyone feels this way though. You have to remember that the distance from Hawaii to the mainland is the same as from California to New York. It is the most isolated land in the world, and you need to prepare to not see your family/mainland as often as you are used to.

PM me if you have specific questions.

Hope this helps

liannel

Postby liannel » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:42 am

Even if you are not from Hawaii, you can get a job with a firm in Hawaii. UH has on campus interviews held twice per year, one month per semester. The firms come to the schools and the students attend the interviews there. Many of my classmates who had NO ties to Hawaii and were not from Hawaii got jobs in their 2L summers (summer before 3L year). It all depends on your grades, how you interview, how your resume and cover letters are, etc.

So, the rumor is incorrect. Just because you are from the mainland doesn't mean that you won't get hired by firms in Hawaii.

Eco

Postby Eco » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:04 am

You can write your memos on the beach and your girlfriend will be wearing a coconut bra. Go for it.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:22 am

liannel wrote:Even if you are not from Hawaii, you can get a job with a firm in Hawaii. UH has on campus interviews held twice per year, one month per semester. The firms come to the schools and the students attend the interviews there. Many of my classmates who had NO ties to Hawaii and were not from Hawaii got jobs in their 2L summers (summer before 3L year). It all depends on your grades, how you interview, how your resume and cover letters are, etc.

So, the rumor is incorrect. Just because you are from the mainland doesn't mean that you won't get hired by firms in Hawaii.

These people attended UH for law school though, that's kind of a tie.

Return to “Legal Employment”