The New Northwestern AJD Program's Effect on OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TTT-LS

Re: The New Northwestern AJD Program's Effect on OCI

Postby TTT-LS » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:37 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JustAnotherPoster

Postby JustAnotherPoster » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:32 pm

Sounds right, the only thing I could add is the cost of living for the third year (most likely showing up in student loans). I agree, as I think many students will, that the tuition should be reduced or frozen to at least reflect a weaker economy. If law firms are paying less for lawyers, then schools should be charging less for the degrees. Common rant, just had to say it. :)

david33mba

Postby david33mba » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:56 pm

I've been seriously considering the AJD program and was happy to find several of them posting here. I would like to pose the following question to the AJDs:

Did you choose the AJD program over a higher-ranked school? If yes, which school(s) and why?

I have an MBA and would like to know more about the AJD program. I've read all the materials online, but I would like to hear from the students. I imagine it would be helpful for others considering the AJD as well.

Thanks in advance for your time.

FrankReynolds

Postby FrankReynolds » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:09 pm

if I had an MBA and 5+ years of WE, I am pretty sure I would choose the AJD unless I wanted to be an academic/clerk/judge. I would only choose a higher ranked school if scholarships made up for the extra year off loss of income.

Law schools really should get rid of this model that is intended to create academics and start creating lawyers.

Full Summer + Fall Semester + pressure on professors to get grades out by mid-January, where schools can do an EIW for summer positions seems to make a whole lot more sense than what is going on now. Getting the ABA to reduce credit requirements to like 70 hours would be hard though lol.

Not only does it make much more sense for creating corporate lawyers, but it would be much better for those interested in joint-degrees.

thecalvin

Postby thecalvin » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:15 pm

I'm a current Northwestern AJD student and this thread recently came to my attention. I'm glad to see some constructive Q&A here. But for those of you who are just seeing this thread now (like me), please keep in mind that a significant amount of the foregoing information is dated. The most recent post here is from Sep. 2009--2.5 yrs ago. Now that one full class of AJDs has graduated and three full classes have experienced life as law students (as well as the OCI process), we have more information to share.

Please feel free to reach out to me with specific questions about the program.

aparachl

Postby aparachl » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:19 pm

sorry for multiple posts but not sure which thread is actually active:

1) was there ever a change made to this no curve issue for AJD? If an AJD class now has 40 students, will it be curved?
2)have any of the AJD's that you know in their interviews said that they do not plan to practice law after the program? It seems that everyone talks about the fact that this would be fine but from what I saw online, the jobs taken by the class seemed to all be with legal firms. Having a business background already, I would look to do the MBA separately as part of executive program down the road and do not want to stay in law school for 3 years.
3) have you heard of anyone getting in without interviewing? I was not able to apply before the deadline.
4) in the summer semester, does the program intentionally cover less or require less work for AJD so that folks can realistically get through it? everyone says 1L is crazy to being with, so doing it in 4 months seems almost impossible without some stuff being cut out (more than just a few less elective classes)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:32 pm

aparachl wrote:sorry for multiple posts but not sure which thread is actually active:

1) was there ever a change made to this no curve issue for AJD? If an AJD class now has 40 students, will it be curved?
2)have any of the AJD's that you know in their interviews said that they do not plan to practice law after the program? It seems that everyone talks about the fact that this would be fine but from what I saw online, the jobs taken by the class seemed to all be with legal firms. Having a business background already, I would look to do the MBA separately as part of executive program down the road and do not want to stay in law school for 3 years.
3) have you heard of anyone getting in without interviewing? I was not able to apply before the deadline.
4) in the summer semester, does the program intentionally cover less or require less work for AJD so that folks can realistically get through it? everyone says 1L is crazy to being with, so doing it in 4 months seems almost impossible without some stuff being cut out (more than just a few less elective classes)?

1) Curved.
2) Not sure why you would get a JD if you do not want to practice law. I could have understood if you had majored in the wrong field, and you would want the JD to "open doors," but since you already have work experience, why go through a JD when you can go through an MBA. In any case, my overall impression is that AJD's go to law firms.
3) On the overall program, yes. On the AJD program... not certain. A few years ago, the school had to convince people to go to it, if that is still the case, I doubt they will care about the interview thing.

4) You are not doing 1L in four months. Ok, 1L at NU has 6 mandatory classes (contracts, torts, property, conlaw, crimlaw, civpro), 2 mandatory writing courses, and 2 optional courses taken in the spring. As an AJD, you will take the two writing courses during the year, not during the summer. Additionally, two of the mandatory courses will be taken in the Spring, together with fellow JD's.
SO, all you are taking in the Summer, with just AJD's is four mandatory courses, usually contracts, torts, property and civpro. Two of those courses last all summer, whereas the other two are done at an accelerated pace, consecutively.

Diclaimer: I am not an AJD, but I think I know a decent amount about the program.

Return to “Legal Employment”