Maybe it won't be so easy to get a Government Job...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Maybe it won't be so easy to get a Government Job...

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:48 pm

I work for Legal Aid in New York. Last year we hired 40 students, this year we are hiring 7 or so.

Cavalier

Re: Maybe it won't be so easy to get a Government Job...

Postby Cavalier » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:52 pm

New York is more ****ed than most places, to be fair.

articulably suspect

Postby articulably suspect » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:17 pm

Cavalier wrote:New York is more ****ed than most places, to be fair.

Although I think it's pretty bleak in most regions of the country, it's not very accurate to use NYC as a basis for how challenging placing in a govt job is going to be. I think most people are already on board with the notion that govt/pi work is going to be more difficult to get than it was a few years ago, especially in Chicago, NYC and DC.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:59 pm

DOJ (honors program) is hiring less than 100 people this year. The basic requirements are clerkship or prior biglaw experience.

You can still get into the DOJ as a summer volunteer though, if you are willing to work for free and compete with the tons of other 2Ls at T-14s who got locked out of OCI.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I work for Legal Aid in New York. Last year we hired 40 students, this year we are hiring 7 or so.

In a world of 200+ aba approved law schools, pumping out 40,000 NEW lawyers a year, when was it easy to get a gov't job with nice hours, job safety, good experience and nice exit options or a pension to look forward to? Please, someone, tell me when that was easy, in ANY economy..

They were always shit hard to get, just a lot harder now...

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:25 pm

wait, jobs are hard to get?

--ImageRemoved--

underachiever

Postby underachiever » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:26 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I work for Legal Aid in New York. Last year we hired 40 students, this year we are hiring 7 or so.

In a world of 200+ aba approved law schools, pumping out 40,000 NEW lawyers a year, when was it easy to get a gov't job with nice hours, job safety, good experience and nice exit options or a pension to look forward to? Please, someone, tell me when that was easy, in ANY economy..

FBI?

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:27 pm

underachiever wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:

FBI?

I really hope you aren't being serious.

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:DOJ (honors program) is hiring less than 100 people this year. The basic requirements are clerkship or prior biglaw experience.

The honors program doesn't hire people with "biglaw experience," unless you're referring to students who have worked as summer associates. DOJ honors program only hires students and law clerks. Having a summer associate position on your resume will not itself significantly increase your chances of getting an honors program spot.

Return to “Legal Employment”