Still no-response from a lot of Direct Send

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
nylaw23

Still no-response from a lot of Direct Send

Postby nylaw23 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:54 am

Just wondering what people's experience has been with your direct send mailing campaign? I sent out mine at the end of July and have heard from only 20 of the 60 (all very thoughtful rejections). Is that the normal response rate for right now? Do you think they will send out a mass rejection once they fill up their summer class? Anyone from last year that had experience dealing with direct send, please share.

Anonymous User

Re: Still no-response from a lot of Direct Send

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:25 pm

nylaw23 wrote:Just wondering what people's experience has been with your direct send mailing campaign? I sent out mine at the end of July and have heard from only 20 of the 60 (all very thoughtful rejections). Is that the normal response rate for right now? Do you think they will send out a mass rejection once they fill up their summer class? Anyone from last year that had experience dealing with direct send, please share.

I sent around 25 anywhere from 2-6 weeks ago. About 6 had the courtesy to tell me they weren't interested, 4 scheduled screening interviews or just straight to the call-back interview, and I've heard nothing from around 15. I did my best to target the letters, but a lot was just inserting firm name X into the blanks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
nylaw23 wrote:Just wondering what people's experience has been with your direct send mailing campaign? I sent out mine at the end of July and have heard from only 20 of the 60 (all very thoughtful rejections). Is that the normal response rate for right now? Do you think they will send out a mass rejection once they fill up their summer class? Anyone from last year that had experience dealing with direct send, please share.

I sent around 25 anywhere from 2-6 weeks ago. About 6 had the courtesy to tell me they weren't interested, 4 scheduled screening interviews or just straight to the call-back interview, and I've heard nothing from around 15. I did my best to target the letters, but a lot was just inserting firm name X into the blanks.

I direct-mailed 24, got 4 rejections, 2 interviews, the rest were silent. Not sure if they're waiting until callbacks are over before calling/rejecting, or if they're just not bothering to respond.

amped

Postby amped » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I direct-mailed 24, got 4 rejections, 2 interviews, the rest were silent. Not sure if they're waiting until callbacks are over before calling/rejecting, or if they're just not bothering to respond.

I had a similar result, although maybe a higher proportion of rejections. I'm not sure why you haven't called to follow up. I followed up on all mine about 2 weeks after I sent them. Employers won't get mad if you call to check the status of your application and make sure it was received. Granted, I think this process just speeds up the rejections/gets you an actual rejection letter. If firms are really interested, they will call you.

laborday

Postby laborday » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:08 pm

When you "direct send", do you use email or regular mail? And do you send to the recruiter or the hiring attorney? Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:02 pm

laborday wrote:When you "direct send", do you use email or regular mail? And do you send to the recruiter or the hiring attorney? Thanks!

I use regular mail unless the firm website directs you to email it. Send to the recruiter

Return to “Legal Employment”