Thinking about picking up an addiction...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Thinking about picking up an addiction...

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:46 am

I got to a T-20 school and I was denied for both of my employment opportunities today. I feel like if I pick up doing coke, meth, or drinking during the middle of the day I will have an excuse for my situation. Anyone have any advice in this area?

(I've already tried becoming addicted to weed. Not debilitating enough. Does not provide valid excuse for situation)

Thanks for your responses in advance!

Leeroy Jenkins

Re: Thinking about picking up an addiction...

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:49 am

Whoever posted this deserves to be outed.

M51

Postby M51 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:52 am

You are not thinking clearly.
Only pre-failure addictions can explain the failure, post-failure addictions are just a pathetic coping mechanism.
Also, I don't see why addictions are a better excuse than ITE, or poor interviewer. Most people prefer these explanations over fake addictions. They also generally generate more sympathy (which is what you're going for, correct?)

Wait a couple of weeks until you're thinking clearly again, before you decide this matter.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:54 am

Alcoholism seems to be popular....I would advise against it however, people might assume things.

blackacre

Postby blackacre » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:57 am

prezidentv8 wrote:Alcoholism seems to be popular....I would advise against it however, people might assume things.

I feel like there are too many people and examples of people doing ok while still being an alcoholic. So really I think the hard drugs are the best option. I think it is also important that I need to be able to "kick" the new addiction if anything does end up happening with jobs.

Thanks for the responses guys! It is really helpful to have different views on my situation.

M51

Postby M51 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:02 am

blackacre wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:Alcoholism seems to be popular....I would advise against it however, people might assume things.

I feel like there are too many people and examples of people doing ok while still being an alcoholic. So really I think the hard drugs are the best option. I think it is also important that I need to be able to "kick" the new addiction if anything does end up happening with jobs.

Thanks for the responses guys! It is really helpful to have different views on my situation.

... :? so much for keeping anon.

blackacre

Postby blackacre » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:05 am

M51 wrote:
blackacre wrote:

You have to be smarter than the machine? Why didn't anyone tell me this?

Leeroy Jenkins

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:12 am

So, which T20 are you at?

M51

Postby M51 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:21 am

Lxw wrote:So, which T20 are you at?

Pretty sure he's a 1L and at a school not all that close to the T20.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:30 am

M51 wrote:
Lxw wrote:So, which T20 are you at?

Pretty sure he's a 1L and at a school not all that close to the T20.

If this is the case, today has been officially redeemed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:24 am

I have an online gambling addiction, it only exacerbates any stressful situation. Unfortunately at this point I wish it were a coke addiction, I would have a lot more money and the extremes in my life would be far less severe. In the end, trust me, just suck it up and don't develop potentially life altering habits.

articulably suspect

Postby articulably suspect » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:39 am

blackacre wrote:
M51 wrote:
blackacre wrote:

You have to be smarter than the machine? Why didn't anyone tell me this?

Seriously, there's a giant disclaimer at the top of the page in orange. I hope you already got a head start on the addiction thing and that explains this oversight. Oh, don't get addicted to anything.

Return to “Legal Employment”