"noting" on LR Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

"noting" on LR

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:55 pm

making LR at good schools is prestigious.

some schools allow people to write notes (assuming they skip the write-on and/ or do not have top 1L grades) to get published and become LR members... I guess not many people would bother, though.

do judges/ hiring partners look down on people who get on LR via this method? (because they don't have good 1L grades?)

ChattelCat

Bronze

Re: "noting" on LR

Post by ChattelCat » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:making LR at good schools is prestigious.

some schools allow people to write notes (assuming they skip the write-on and/ or do not have top 1L grades) to get published and become LR members... I guess not many people would bother, though.

do judges/ hiring partners look down on people who get on LR via this method? (because they don't have good 1L grades?)
the only problem with "noting" on is that you would only be a member for your 3L year and would not be eligible to be an editor... I have no idea if it's really looked down on. I don't see how getting a note published in law review would ever be a bad thing though!

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:do judges/ hiring partners look down on people who get on LR via this method? (because they don't have good 1L grades?)
They may prefer higher grades, but law review membership can only help offset lower grades. That is, law review membership will never be a liability (regardless of whether you were selected by grades or "noting"). Some employers will probably be more impressed that you wrote on (via a note) rather than simply being selected for good grades.

TheCure0013

New

Post by TheCure0013 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:30 pm

Not enough comments on your AutoAdmit thread?

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:40 pm

ChattelCat wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:making LR at good schools is prestigious.

the only problem with "noting" on is that you would only be a member for your 3L year and would not be eligible to be an editor... I have no idea if it's really looked down on. I don't see how getting a note published in law review would ever be a bad thing though!
Some schools allow you to get an board position if you note on early enough (for example, at UoC, if you note on by the end of December, you're eligible).

Some schools don't allow people to grade-on, or do a mix of grade-on and write-on; hiring partners and judges don't know how you made LR, they just see the resume line. Granted, OCI people aren't going to see the resume line in time--noting on's main benefit is for clerking and the post-clerkship application process.

Law Review is Law Review. It is never going to be "bad" to be on it. That said, there is a very, very low success rate. Again, going off Chicago, they generally have one or two, SOMETIMES three, people a year actually complete the process, out of the 50 or so who display interest.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:55 pm

completing the process, as in getting published?

I don't know how many of us are interested, but the official record shows that no one has ever noted on. the LR manager told me that so far no one has actually availed himself/ herself of this method.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:completing the process, as in getting published?

I don't know how many of us are interested, but the official record shows that no one has ever noted on. the LR manager told me that so far no one has actually availed himself/ herself of this method.
No, completed the process as in "wrote a publishable Comment." At most schools, the Comment doesn't need to actually be published for you to complete the requirements. Generally Law Reviews don't have enough Comment spots available to publish all of the staffers' Comments.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:02 pm

I guess most people are not motivated enough.
If the LR has a blind review policy (which every LR should have) for the 'note' section, and if LR publishes, like, 1/2 to 1/3 of all the notes submitted, then the chance of noting on is actually pretty high.

chipmunk

New

Post by chipmunk » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote: some schools allow people to write notes (assuming they skip the write-on and/ or do not have top 1L grades) to get published and become LR members... I guess not many people would bother, though.
Be aware: my school only allows you to note on to LR if you participate in the write-on competition. I don't know how many other schools have this requirement, but it's something to ask about.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

amped

New

Post by amped » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:02 pm

chipmunk wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: some schools allow people to write notes (assuming they skip the write-on and/ or do not have top 1L grades) to get published and become LR members... I guess not many people would bother, though.
Be aware: my school only allows you to note on to LR if you participate in the write-on competition. I don't know how many other schools have this requirement, but it's something to ask about.
Vanderbilt is the same.

tetrahydrocannabinol

New

Post by tetrahydrocannabinol » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote: I don't know how many of us are interested, but the official record shows that no one has ever noted on. the LR manager told me that so far no one has actually availed himself/ herself of this method.
This is not surprising. I would guess it is a pretty arduous process to write a full blown note during a semester in addition to your classes with no guarantee of actually getting onto law review (just think about the time consumption there to write a 40 some page note). With that said, I really want to try it because getting published during law school is huge -- one hell of a thing to have on your resume.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:48 pm

I dont think so ...
some of our seminar classes require students to write a 30--40 paper in lieu of an exam. some of my seniors should have submitted their paper to law review to try their luck....

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:15 pm

I have a question:

do members have to send preliminary outlines to journal editors for approval (of the topic), before turning in the completed notes in the end?

I have heard this is the case at some schools. If so, then won't it be much harder to note-on? even if the submissions are blind-reviewed, the note editors surely remember which topics were approved and would tend to reject those notes written by people who are not already journal members.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:I have a question:

do members have to send preliminary outlines to journal editors for approval (of the topic), before turning in the completed notes in the end?

I have heard this is the case at some schools. If so, then won't it be much harder to note-on? even if the submissions are blind-reviewed, the note editors surely remember which topics were approved and would tend to reject those notes written by people who are not already journal members.
The process is different at every school. At mine the student writers must get approval from the designated board member to write on a particular case/topic. Later, that board member will read each student's first draft and make suggestions. However, I believe that the board member in charge of student writing usually abstains from sitting on the panel for selecting which ones are published. As you might imagine, she is too familiar with who wrote each article.

Nonetheless, I would be surprised if there is any nepotism displayed by the panel. They truly want to select the best articles for the publication as a whole.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:40 pm

do your schools' law reviews have submission seasons for "notes"? like, even if you submit a note in, say, november, no one will read it until next spring???

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:like, even if you submit a note in, say, november, no one will read it until next spring???
At my school notes are due in November and published in Winter/Spring/Summer.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”