video conferencing

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

video conferencing

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:01 pm

have you ever relied on video conferencing facilities to interview with a law firm? is it a blatant sign that the law firm is not that interested in hiring the candidate?

Anonymous User

Re: video conferencing

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:32 pm

VIDEO CONFERENCING IS AMAZING! I JUST HAD A VIDEO CONFERENCE INTERVIEW! IT WENT SO WELL!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:36 pm

The government does it sometimes when they don't want to foot the bill to send you to Washington for an interview. I'd imagine small law firms might do the same, for the same reason.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:37 pm

I had one for a screening interview. The partner turned off the camera for his end, so I was looking at a black screen the entire time. Very hard to focus when you are sitting there in a suit staring at a screen with a disembodied voice. I much prefer telephone interviews because at least you are both similarly situated.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:00 pm

I had one with a foreign office. It was more about the time flying than the expense. Nevertheless, I would try to avoid it if possible. My experience was less than ideal, there was a slight lag which made it very difficult to lead a conversation and the interviewer and I ended up talking over each other. Also, it just seemed much more difficult to connect with the interviewer than a phone interview but that could just be my inexperience with doing VC in a business setting.

TheFriendlyBarber

Postby TheFriendlyBarber » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had one for a screening interview. The partner turned off the camera for his end, so I was looking at a black screen the entire time. Very hard to focus when you are sitting there in a suit staring at a screen with a disembodied voice. I much prefer telephone interviews because at least you are both similarly situated.

That's extremely unprofessional.

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:00 pm

I did one and it was about the cost of travel. I'm in city X, they're in city Y, it's a screening interview, and they weren't coming on campus to interview anyone but still wanted to interview me. At that point it's either phone or VC or asking me to take a $500 plane ride for a screener. And I think it's actually a sign that they ARE interested, because it would have been easier just to reject you.

Anyway, I prefer phone over VC, the lag sucks and unless you're used to them, you're likely to be a lot more uncomfortable than in-person or phone.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:42 pm

i did a video screener. it wasn't bad at all, though the lag one of the above posters mentioned did take some getting used to. didn't seem to matter much, though, as I got a CB and subsequently an offer from them.

Glock

Postby Glock » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:52 pm

You can't take anything out of them asking for it. It means nothing.

Video has upsides and downsides. There is often lag, it can be a bit funky for a conversation to flow. Saves time and expense, and you are being judged on a lot less on video.

I did about 4 video conference interviews. One was atrocious. It had major lag and kept disconnecting and reconnecting randomly. The reconnection were sudden so all of a sudden you were eavesdropping on their conversation. On one of these reconnections I heard "-----his face look bright orange or what? Is that the camera or a bad spray tan? *laughter*. OH! HI THERE, ARE YOU BACK?"

I did receive two callbacks from video conferences. It can go fine.

Return to “Legal Employment”