How do you research firms for callbacks? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
bradley

New

How do you research firms for callbacks?

Post by bradley » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:57 pm

Everybody always says to research, research, research. How do you do this and what are you looking for?

AmicusCuriae

New

Re: How do you research firms for callbacks?

Post by AmicusCuriae » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:36 pm

Vault, Chambers, google generally. Know their key/top practice areas (chambers is helpful for this), rough idea of where their offices are (heavy east or west coast? International? Only London?). If your firm provides a list of interviewers in advance, know what group the interviewer is in and where they went to school. Has the firm been in on any really high profile cases lately (google)?

chipmunk

New

Post by chipmunk » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:04 pm

I agree with the above poster. The goal of research is to be able to ask educated questions in the interview and give good responses to questions about why you want to work there. The firm's website, Vault, and Chambers should be enough to get you there. Anything else is overkill.

AmicusCuriae

New

Post by AmicusCuriae » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:11 pm

I think another important thing to know is what practice groups are prevalent/active in the office in which you are interviewing. If the firm doesn't do litigation/tax/antitrust/employment, etc. out of the office you're interviewing for, you might want to know that. Use their website and see what the bulk of the attorneys in the office practice.

NewHere

Bronze

Post by NewHere » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:07 pm

Look at their website and/or news stories/Vault/Chambers long enough that you can
(1) Answer the question "Why do you want to work for us?" and
(2) Come up with two or three questions about the firm.

If the firm gives you a list of interviewers, it's also a good idea to look at their firm profiles, so you have a general idea of what they are doing and what their background is.

In theory you could come up with questions about the firm even without looking at their website, but it looks better if you can tie your questions to something you do know about the firm or the interviewer, so you come across as well prepared. ("I read that the firm has an X practice. What kind of clients do you typically work for in that field?" "I saw you were involved in Y. Can you tell me more about that?")

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”