A Proposal Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
wiseowl

Silver

A Proposal

Post by wiseowl » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:12 pm

there are way too many 0Ls and 1Ls on this new forum yelling "FLAME" every time an anonymous poster comes in and states job market results contrary to that 0L/1L's understanding/dreams.

it serves no point. quit it, or this part of the board will quickly become AutoAdmit Lite.

thanks

Drummingreg

Bronze

Re: A Proposal

Post by Drummingreg » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:45 pm

Someone had to do it...

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:00 pm

Are there? I searched for "flame" in legal employment and saw only three individual instances:

1) Someone with top 10% at T14 plus hard science PhD had no callbacks. I and a couple of other people called flame.
2) One poster called flame a couple of times in the T10 thread.
3) People called flame on the pics thread.

Nobody called flame on people claiming below median at CLS was "carnage", or on TTT-LS when he described the situation at NU. Multiple 1L's rebutted the poster in the T10 thread.

Consdering the number of posts here (the callback thread is 20 pages) the number of unique instances of people calling flame are low. Somehing about windmills...

SteelReserve

Bronze

Post by SteelReserve » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:59 pm

I agree with rayiner's point.

The basic rule has never changed, and all 0/1Ls need to know it: Top students at Top schools in Top Journal with Top personality get Top jobs.

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:18 pm

rayiner wrote:Are there? I searched for "flame" in legal employment and saw only three individual instances:

1) Someone with top 10% at T14 plus hard science PhD had no callbacks. I and a couple of other people called flame.

Nobody called flame on people claiming below median at CLS was "carnage", or on TTT-LS when he described the situation at NU. Multiple 1L's rebutted the poster in the T10 thread.

Consdering the number of posts here (the callback thread is 20 pages) the number of unique instances of people calling flame are low. Somehing about windmills...
what is your evidence that 1) is flame?

its just that those three were the main threads i've clicked on here in the last three days and they've all had this common component. coincidence? perhaps.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

srb

New

Post by srb » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:36 pm

wiseowl wrote: A proposal
I don't. I'm sorry, I just can't be tied down right now.

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:37 pm

srb wrote:
wiseowl wrote: A proposal
I don't. I'm sorry, I just can't be tied down right now.
well, if you love something set it free

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:52 pm

But if 1Ls stop posting in here, you'll have no one to talk down to. :?

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:56 pm

CE2JD wrote:But if 1Ls stop posting in here, you'll have no one to talk down to. :?
Hullo CE2JD

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hbb

New

Post by hbb » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:59 pm

rayiner wrote:Are there? I searched for "flame" in legal employment and saw only three individual instances:

Searching for the term "flame" doesn't capture this gem from the Gov't Attorney thread:
Alfonso Soriano wrote:I don't believe the OP in what their saying. If you take a look at this thread

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&start=50

The same user, with the same amount of posts and join time are asking questions like their some UG student who doesn't know a lot. Unless someone joined at the same moment and made the same amount of posts I simply don't believe OP is who he says he is. Perhaps I'm off base, but I believe I'm correct.

TTT-LS

Silver

Post by TTT-LS » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:13 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SteelReserve

Bronze

Post by SteelReserve » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:17 pm

The search also does not capture my link to the following really awesome YTMND: http://dhalsim.ytmnd.com/
TTT LS:

Is it embarrassing that I found myself craving the ability to download this tune to my ipod to go with daily run sessions?

TTT-LS

Silver

Post by TTT-LS » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:22 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:12 am

wiseowl wrote:

what is your evidence that 1) is flame?

its just that those three were the main threads i've clicked on here in the last three days and they've all had this common component. coincidence? perhaps.
If (1) is not a flame he is at least unrepresentative of the norm. I may be a 1L but I've been talking to law students/people at law firms for months now so I'm not completely clueless. I know at least one hard sciences PhD at a lower T14 who got a 1L SA this summer (post Lehman). Shit is bad, but that dude is still at best an outlier. Hell, even CE2JD thinks he's a flame and that dude was scared of being an EE at MVP even before the OCI news came out!

Since (3) has nothing to do with employment statistics, you're basically left with just a few posts calling flame. Out of hundreds of anonymous posts in the employment thread, the vast majority of which have gone completely unchallenged. It's hardly a phenomenon that merits the creation of a separate thread.

Your general point is well-taken. Most of my 1L friends IRL have no idea what the economy is like. However, the most prevalent tone by far on TLS is one of realistic negativity. It's been that way for months now, and indeed, has been that way as long as I can remember. The TLS meme was that nothing outside the T14 was worth sticker even during the boom. What more can you really expect? It's unreasonable to think that you'll see a complete absence of dissenting opinions in an open forum.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”