Offers Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
raveler

Re: Offers Thread

Postby raveler » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:09 pm

philo-sophia wrote:
Did you actually tell them who else you're considering? I've been trying to deflect the question.

I'm also not sure why firms ask that--are they less likely to want you if they have competition? Firms tend to be pretty elitist, so maybe having other options makes them want you more.

sometimes it's an indicator of whether you're making informed decisions or just going off of vault rankings. If you tell someone you're interested in private equity, they're going to think it's pretty strange if you say you're not interested in Simpson. If you tell someone you're interested in venture capital and they ask you where you're looking, and you then rattle off the V10 without mentioning an interest in Wilson Sonsini, they know you're just going off of vault rankings and haven't researched at all.

This is sort of unfair ITE . . . I mean, I looked at plenty of shops that are strong in my preferred practice area but god knows I didn't get callbacks at a lot of them. The places where I did I guess speak to an interest in my practice area but all in all are pretty random.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:52 pm

Quote:
Did you actually tell them who else you're considering? I've been trying to deflect the question.

I'm also not sure why firms ask that--are they less likely to want you if they have competition? Firms tend to be pretty elitist, so maybe having other options makes them want you more.

sometimes it's an indicator of whether you're making informed decisions or just going off of vault rankings. If you tell someone you're interested in private equity, they're going to think it's pretty strange if you say you're not interested in Simpson. If you tell someone you're interested in venture capital and they ask you where you're looking, and you then rattle off the V10 without mentioning an interest in Wilson Sonsini, they know you're just going off of vault rankings and haven't researched at all.

Feel like this could lead to 1) yield protecting, or 2) getting more interested in you b/c you have competitive options elsewhere and they just start to feel more competitive about it...

I've had someone ask me that, though. It does come up. They also want to make sure you're interested in the region and covering it substantively, I think.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did you actually tell them who else you're considering? I've been trying to deflect the question.

I've had 2 firms ask me how many callbacks I have, and then Ropes asked where specifically. They had already asked what cities I was considering (NY only), so I couldn't give the NYC firms answer. I don't think there was any real way to deflect the question.

I mentioned about 5 of my callbacks I was seriously considering. One is a place the interviewer was an associate, and he was very helpful in terms of telling me would be happy to help me once it came down to decisions, whether or not I was factoring in Ropes, which I thought was super nice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:01 pm

Anyone have an offer/rejection from a DC firm? Seems like they tend to lag behind NY...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:59 pm

I know Jones Day DC has made offers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:34 pm

anyone here from irell? if so, how long after the callback? i wish i would've asked what day the recruiting committee meets.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:32 am

Has any other Jones Day office made offers? I had a call back with their Houston office about a few weeks ago.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has any other Jones Day office made offers? I had a call back with their Houston office about a few weeks ago.

Atlanta and Cleveland

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:39 pm

If anyone hears back anything this week, please post. I would love to know how quickly firms are moving post Labor Day with callbacks that happened pre Labor Day.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:40 pm

Curious if anything's been heard from Paul Hastings in NY.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Curious if anything's been heard from Paul Hastings in NY.

They have given some offers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:59 pm

Has anyone heard from Kramer Levin or K&L Gates (NY)?

hbb

Postby hbb » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:52 pm

I suspect both Kramer and Gates won't be extending any offers until they have had more of a chance to determine if another round of large-scale layoffs will be necessary this year. You are far braver than I.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:55 pm

Kramer has extended some offers. Also not sure about this "large round of layoffs" information. While they have had some layoffs, there have not been more than most other firms, and significantly less than many.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:19 pm

Anyone receive an offer from Goodwin Procter? Time from callback to offer (or time from callback to rejection)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone receive an offer from Goodwin Procter? Time from callback to offer (or time from callback to rejection)?

Also did a callback with them, they told me it would be a few weeks. hiring committee needs to meet.

i wouldn't freak out quite yet

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:18 pm

Anyone hear anything from any Baker Botts offices?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:30 pm

I heard Crowell (DC) and Wiley Rein have extended offers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Kramer has extended some offers. Also not sure about this "large round of layoffs" information. While they have had some layoffs, there have not been more than most other firms, and significantly less than many.

Do you personally know of people with offers from Kramer Levin?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Kramer has extended some offers. Also not sure about this "large round of layoffs" information. While they have had some layoffs, there have not been more than most other firms, and significantly less than many.

Yes. Me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:55 pm

Has anyone heard anything from Davis Polk NY this week?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:01 pm

What about Calif. offices? Specifically, MoFo's northern Calif. offices, although I did interview at a handful of others. If you haven't heard anything in a week or two, is it safe to assume that you've been rejected? A number of friends have told me that this is the case, and it worries the hell out of me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yes. Me.

Congrats. Do you mind telling me what the turnaround time was from CB to offer? And was it consistent to the time frame that they told you?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I heard Crowell (DC) and Wiley Rein have extended offers.

I heard Wiley's committee wasn't meeting until later this month...do you know when the person got the offer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:18 pm

i know for a fact wiley gave offers (given tues or wed)

Return to “Legal Employment”