Offers Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Offers Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I interviewed at a firm on Tuesday and contacted them today, and they expect to wait at least a month before making offers. AWWWEEEESOME. I have no idea if they'll ding on a more rolling basis or if they'll wait until the end.

Is it ok to contact a firm that hasn't gotten back to me in 3 weeks and ask when I can expect a decision? Would it be more legitimate to call if I had an offer at another firm?

shadowfish

Postby shadowfish » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I interviewed at a firm on Tuesday and contacted them today, and they expect to wait at least a month before making offers. AWWWEEEESOME. I have no idea if they'll ding on a more rolling basis or if they'll wait until the end.

Is it ok to contact a firm that hasn't gotten back to me in 3 weeks and ask when I can expect a decision? Would it be more legitimate to call if I had an offer at another firm?

All the firms I CBed with said it was totally ok to call and see where in the decision process they were. My guess is that it's fine, especially after 3 weeks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:16 pm

shadowfish wrote: All the firms I CBed with said it was totally ok to call and see where in the decision process they were. My guess is that it's fine, especially after 3 weeks.

Is that something that they just say? Has anyone actually called a firm and asked where they were in the decision process and gotten a favorable result?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:29 pm

I think I'd be terrified to call and ask about when I can expect a decision. I'd be afraid of it coming across as "why the hell are you taking so long?" Just frustrating since so many firms seem to be following up callbacks with prolonged periods of silence.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:27 pm

I recently got an offer from a firm for which I had the cb about 2.5 -3 weeks ago. They had forewarned me it would take awhile since I was an early interviewer, but the waiting made me really nervous. so whoever is waiting 3 weeks, sit tight. It's not necessarily bad news. They could just be waiting until they amass enough cb results before they extend offers.

I heard back from another firm (offer) w/in a week after the cb.

I'm still waiting on firms where I've interviewed 2 weeks, and almost 1 week ago...

So point is that it seems like many firms are varied... or that I'm getting dinged from the ones I haven't heard from yet :x

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:28 pm

I had a cb beginning of August and I still haven't heard either way lol. I also had one at the end of July, although that firm did say they wouldn't get back to me until October (regional firm).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:51 pm

To those who got/know someone who got offers from Goodwin Procter Boston. Were all the offers on Wednesday or have the offers been scattered throughout this week? They're my last hope for a V50 firm and it's been almost 3 weeks, so I'm getting worried...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:42 pm

I think there's going to be a certain group from each callback class that is essentially on a waiting list and will not get a response either way for a little while. Say 50 people are interviewing for 20 spots...Seems to me that a firm would make 20 immediate offers, 20 rejections, and then rank 10 people to take the slots of those who don't accept the offers. Those 10 won't know until they either get an offer or the class is filled out.

I think contacting the firm is legit and I don't think they'd look at you in a negative light. If people feel uncomfortable, maybe email the administrator who set up the interviews if he/she isn't an attorney.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:18 pm

I was wondering if anyone has heard back from either Simpson in NYC or Gibson in DC about offers and if so, how quickly you heard back. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was wondering if anyone has heard back from either Simpson in NYC or Gibson in DC about offers and if so, how quickly you heard back. Thanks!

STB offer about 2 weeks after the callback.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:13 pm

Are people accepting the first offer they get?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are people accepting the first offer they get?

I accepted on the spot at the interview, but it happened to be my #1 in that city, and having the offer kind of made it easy to settle on which city I would pick.

If there are other firms that you would prefer and you still think you have a chance, I think it is reasonable to wait a couple weeks. However, as ATL already covered, I would not rely on the 45 day time period. Offers are hard to come by, and it would be a damn shame to have a firm revoke an offer. Leaving an offer on the table for a month might not be a very bright idea ITE.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:26 pm

jenner ny

stoked

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:27 pm

Anyone get williams & connolly yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:

I accepted on the spot at the interview, but it happened to be my #1 in that city, and having the offer kind of made it easy to settle on which city I would pick.

If there are other firms that you would prefer and you still think you have a chance, I think it is reasonable to wait a couple weeks. However, as ATL already covered, I would not rely on the 45 day time period. Offers are hard to come by, and it would be a damn shame to have a firm revoke an offer. Leaving an offer on the table for a month might not be a very bright idea ITE.

I think it depends. If I had accepted my first offer I would be very sad right now. I got my number two and three choice about a month after my first offer (yesterday). I did check in with the first offering firm fairly regularly though....about every week. My first choice hasn't replied yet (it's been about 10 days) and I'm going to wait on that sucker too.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I think it depends. If I had accepted my first offer I would be very sad right now. I got my number two and three choice about a month after my first offer (yesterday). I did check in with the first offering firm fairly regularly though....about every week. My first choice hasn't replied yet (it's been about 10 days) and I'm going to wait on that sucker too.

What do you do when you check in?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:14 am

Just reiterate my interest, let them know if there are any updates on when I'm making decisions, things of that sort. Mostly just a hello, how are you kind of thing. At least that way I know the offer is still 'live.' It's just a two minute phone call, no big deal.

This is obvious, but I call recruiting, not a partner or anything like that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:20 pm

i interviewed with STB and DPW in SV about 2 weeks ago. heard nothing from both so far...know of offers going out from both for CBs later than mine. are these firms known to do tiered offers? or should i assume i'm rejected?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:42 pm

Did anyone get an offer from Paul, Weiss NY this week? If so, when did you interview?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did anyone get an offer from Paul, Weiss NY this week? If so, when did you interview?

the problem with these is that it's hard to answer and remain really anonymous....at least to the firms if they had the inclination to figure out who it is.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did anyone get an offer from Paul, Weiss NY this week? If so, when did you interview?

if you repost the question without being anonymous (it's only a question after all), I'll be happy to PM you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:28 am

Has anyone heard from Ropes SF? If so, how long after your CB? Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:54 am

schulte offers anyone?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:50 pm

Accepted Dechert (NY) today. Have a friend who got an offer from Schulte.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:52 pm

Accepted Kirkland (SF) offer today, this is my face --> :D

Return to “Legal Employment”