Offers Thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Offers Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:28 pm

Any news from Ropes & Gray (Boston)? If so, what was the turnaround time from CB to offer/ding? Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard anything from Davis Polk NY this week?
I know someone who got dinged after a CB, I think it was within a week, but don't hold me to that time frame.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any news from Ropes & Gray (Boston)? If so, what was the turnaround time from CB to offer/ding? Thanks!
I'm almost positive they - and other Ropes & Gray offices - have dispensed offers. At least, I know Ropes & Gray NY did, about 2 weeks ago. I also believe that no Ropes & Gray offices have dinged anybody. Like literally not a single ding.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any news from Ropes & Gray (Boston)? If so, what was the turnaround time from CB to offer/ding? Thanks!
I'm almost positive they - and other Ropes & Gray offices - have dispensed offers. At least, I know Ropes & Gray NY did, about 2 weeks ago. I also believe that no Ropes & Gray offices have dinged anybody. Like literally not a single ding.
Also have not heard from R & G Boston as of yet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Do you think that people who haven't heard yet have a chance, or do you think Ropes & Gray is just really, really slow at mass rejecting?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Do you think that people who haven't heard yet have a chance, or do you think Ropes & Gray is just really, really slow at mass rejecting?
Have a Ropes NY offer. they're doing an offered people reception in a couple weeks so I GUESS that they expect to be done or mostly done by then.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anyone here from irell? if so, how long after the callback? i wish i would've asked what day the recruiting committee meets.
I know of people who have heard from Irell.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Have a Ropes NY offer. they're doing an offered people reception in a couple weeks so I GUESS that they expect to be done or mostly done by then.
Do you know if this is for NY office only? I keep hearing about NY offers, but not Boston, which makes me think the Boston office hasn't given any offers yet, since Boston is the bigger office.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Do you know if this is for NY office only? I keep hearing about NY offers, but not Boston, which makes me think the Boston office hasn't given any offers yet, since Boston is the bigger office.

no clue. sorry.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Untrue. I had a callback and OVER 2 weeks later got a ding via mail. Not sure why I got rejected - top 15%, t-14, connections to Boston, got along really well with everyone that I met. Good luck to those who are trying to get in - I'm guessing it's virtually impossible this year outside of the top 10%.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:45 am

It's been over 2 weeks and I haven't received any dings or offers in the mail or anything. What's the best way to tactfully figure out whether I've been dinged or not?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:It's been over 2 weeks and I haven't received any dings or offers in the mail or anything. What's the best way to tactfully figure out whether I've been dinged or not?
might as well just wait it out.

shadowfish

New

Post by shadowfish » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:34 am

Anonymous User wrote: Untrue. I had a callback and OVER 2 weeks later got a ding via mail. Not sure why I got rejected - top 15%, t-14, connections to Boston, got along really well with everyone that I met. Good luck to those who are trying to get in - I'm guessing it's virtually impossible this year outside of the top 10%.
I think once you've got a callback, grades are not very important. Maybe you expressed interest in a practice group that doesn't have enough work or you didn't have a good enough answer to "why Ropes"?
Anonymous User wrote:It's been over 2 weeks and I haven't received any dings or offers in the mail or anything. What's the best way to tactfully figure out whether I've been dinged or not?
If you're going to be in the area any time soon, you could call the firm and say "I'm going to be around on X date, if you'd be interested in speaking with me then." I personally think that's too forward (what can they do if they wanted to ding you? Say "uh, no, we're not interested in meeting with you then"?), but career services suggested it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:00 am

shadowfish wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Untrue. I had a callback and OVER 2 weeks later got a ding via mail. Not sure why I got rejected - top 15%, t-14, connections to Boston, got along really well with everyone that I met. Good luck to those who are trying to get in - I'm guessing it's virtually impossible this year outside of the top 10%.
I think once you've got a callback, grades are not very important. Maybe you expressed interest in a practice group that doesn't have enough work or you didn't have a good enough answer to "why Ropes"?
I don't think that's the case this year. Several lawyers commented on how much they liked my "why Ropes" answer, and my practice group of interest definitely has work. The problem is that Ropes called a ton of people back from my school (and others), but they can't afford to hire nearly as much of us this year, even if they really like our personalities. I think this year when choosing between the people they like it's going to come down more to who looks better on paper. Thoughts?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:
How can they be done if they are still doing callbacks?

(Hoping my callback in two weeks won't be pointless)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
shadowfish wrote:
I don't think that's the case this year. Several lawyers commented on how much they liked my "why Ropes" answer, and my practice group of interest definitely has work. The problem is that Ropes called a ton of people back from my school (and others), but they can't afford to hire nearly as much of us this year, even if they really like our personalities. I think this year when choosing between the people they like it's going to come down more to who looks better on paper. Thoughts?
I believe this is definitely true. There are too many people being dinged at the callback stage (offer rates are way down people) and callback dings are tracking grades way too closely. Obviously this is based on anecdotes, but I have many of them. For instance, the only people I know with offers at Ropes both had top 10% GPAs; conversely, I know FIVE people who haven't heard anything after weeks (in other words, people who were rejected), and all of them had lower GPAs (most somewhat better than top third but none top 10%).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:49 pm

For those who heard from Ropes, how long was the turnaround time from callback to offer?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:23 pm

Ropes and Gray and OMM (both DC) dings today. Came in the mail.

Anyone heard from Sutherland DC?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:29 pm

Definitely agree with the above posts. Based on my own experiences this cycle, the "once you get to the callback stage, it's not about grades anymore, just fit" theory is long gone. I don't doubt that this was true to a large extent in past years. Definitely not this year.

From what I can tell and have heard generally, firms aren't cutting down the number of callback interviews they're conducting by the same proportion as they're shrinking the size of next summer's class (i.e. extending offers).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Definitely agree with the above posts. Based on my own experiences this cycle, the "once you get to the callback stage, it's not about grades anymore, just fit" theory is long gone. I don't doubt that this was true to a large extent in past years. Definitely not this year.

From what I can tell and have heard generally, firms aren't cutting down the number of callback interviews they're conducting by the same proportion as they're shrinking the size of next summer's class (i.e. extending offers).
I don't know about this. I'm top 10% + LR at CCN and have not heard back from any firms with whom I interviewed in the past two weeks. This suggests that credentials are not dispositive ITE. Obviously I'm a terrible interviewee, but I think this should give hope to the candidates with worse grades but better personalities. Good luck to you all.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I don't know about this. I'm top 10% + LR at CCN and have not heard back from any firms with whom I interviewed in the past two weeks. This suggests that credentials are not dispositive ITE. Obviously I'm a terrible interviewee, but I think this should give hope to the candidates with worse grades but better personalities. Good luck to you all.
I'm pretty much in the same boat except my grades are a little worse than yours, but I think I interview pretty well. Do you think it's possible we just haven't heard anything because we interviewed so early? At basically every callback I had they were like "you're our first callback of the season." I've had over 9 call backs that I did all really early on. A lot of firms said they wouldn't be making decisions until late Sept, but I'm starting to get a little worried.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:59 pm

Re: Ropes NY. It's not just grades. I am top 10% at a T10 and I did not get an offer. I'm not a great interviewer but liked everyone I met and don't think I made any major mistakes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I'm pretty much in the same boat except my grades are a little worse than yours, but I think I interview pretty well. Do you think it's possible we just haven't heard anything because we interviewed so early? At basically every callback I had they were like "you're our first callback of the season." I've had over 9 call backs that I did all really early on. A lot of firms said they wouldn't be making decisions until late Sept, but I'm starting to get a little worried.
Is it possible? Yes. I'm not optimistic, though. As I understand it, most firms typically extend offers within a week or so after the callback interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Is it possible? Yes. I'm not optimistic, though. As I understand it, most firms typically extend offers within a week or so after the callback interview.
what if they specifically told you it'd be 2+ weeks?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Is it possible? Yes. I'm not optimistic, though. As I understand it, most firms typically extend offers within a week or so after the callback interview.
Even ITE?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”