How am I supposed to keep my sanity?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How am I supposed to keep my sanity?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:28 am

Just finished my fourth day of interviews. Already worried to death because I haven't gotten any callbacks. I basically sabotaged my last two interviews because I was so tired and depressed. How have people who got through the whole thing managed to stay positive?

Anonymous User

Re: How am I supposed to keep my sanity?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just finished my fourth day of interviews. Already worried to death because I haven't gotten any callbacks. I basically sabotaged my last two interviews because I was so tired and depressed. How have people who got through the whole thing managed to stay positive?

It's probably not possible until you stare down the barrel of the gun. That is to say, contemplate getting shut out at OCI. Formulate what your plan would be if that happened. Be OK with that outcome. There's no denying that this outcome sucks, but if it happens, what are you going to do? There is only one thing you can do: get over it. Then make a new plan.

mr.undroppable

Postby mr.undroppable » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just finished my fourth day of interviews. Already worried to death because I haven't gotten any callbacks. I basically sabotaged my last two interviews because I was so tired and depressed. How have people who got through the whole thing managed to stay positive?

you went this far without formulating a back up plan?

Soulofheaven8

Postby Soulofheaven8 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:50 pm

mr.undroppable wrote:

you went this far without formulating a back up plan?

isn't mass mailing the default backup plan for everyone?

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

It's probably not possible until you stare down the barrel of the gun. That is to say, contemplate getting shut out at OCI. Formulate what your plan would be if that happened. Be OK with that outcome. There's no denying that this outcome sucks, but if it happens, what are you going to do? There is only one thing you can do: get over it. Then make a new plan.

TITCR. I would strongly advise anyone in C/O 2012 and maybe C/O 2013 to not only contemplate what will happen if you strike out at OCI, but actively plan as if that is the expected outcome. That means making connections and contingency scenarios well before OCI --- potentially well before LS. Mass-mailing is going to have limited success --- what is to distinguish you from all the other folks who struck out at OCI and are mailing the same firms?

tetrahydrocannabinol

Postby tetrahydrocannabinol » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:58 pm

rayiner wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

TITCR. I would strongly advise anyone in C/O 2012 and maybe C/O 2013 to not only contemplate what will happen if you strike out at OCI, but actively plan as if that is the expected outcome. That means making connections and contingency scenarios well before OCI --- potentially well before LS. Mass-mailing is going to have limited success --- what is to distinguish you from all the other folks who struck out at OCI and are mailing the same firms?

This is easier said then done. I mean if you are going to a top school you are likely looking at $100-200K in debt (probably median around $150K a year). That means you need a $145-160K a year job to pay off your debt (especially true if you are closer to the $200K side) -- don't forget tax. If you already have are capable of making $145K without the JD, then why would you go to law school in the first place? It's not a very good contingency plan to do something where you will have a job locked up making $145K a year prior to entering law school.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:38 pm

rayiner wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Second poster here. To clarify, what I meant to say is that you should contemplate getting shut out of biglaw and midlaw altogether--not just OCI. I definitely agree that you should look outside of OCI, that is a no-brainer. But you should also be prepared for the possibility of not getting an SA position in biglaw or midlaw for your 2L summer.

spanktheduck

Postby spanktheduck » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:52 pm

If you mass mail. You should have probably done it before OCI. It can't hurt now, but I wouldn't put much hope into it

Return to “Legal Employment”