How to prepare for callbacks? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How to prepare for callbacks?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:12 pm

I have absolutely no idea what happens at callback interviews, other than that you speak to 4-6 people for half hour each. Will these half-hour chats be like the OCI screening interviews? Are they more substantive? Are there questions that are typically asked at callbacks but not at OCI screening interviews?

Also, if the firm doesn't tell you to bring anything, do you need to bring writing sample, list of references, etc? For firms that say such things aren't required during the callback, will they eventually ask for them at some point?

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Re: How to prepare for callbacks?

Post by XxSpyKEx » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:43 pm

I'm interested in this as well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have absolutely no idea what happens at callback interviews, other than that you speak to 4-6 people for half hour each. Will these half-hour chats be like the OCI screening interviews? Are they more substantive? Are there questions that are typically asked at callbacks but not at OCI screening interviews?

Also, if the firm doesn't tell you to bring anything, do you need to bring writing sample, list of references, etc? For firms that say such things aren't required during the callback, will they eventually ask for them at some point?
I had a callback last week (NYC) and the interviews were very similar to OCI. I met with three partners for 30 mins apiece and no one asked anything I hadn't heard in OCI interviews. The one thing you'll need a kick-ass answer to is "Why this firm?" Also, it absolutely FLEW by.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have absolutely no idea what happens at callback interviews, other than that you speak to 4-6 people for half hour each. Will these half-hour chats be like the OCI screening interviews? Are they more substantive? Are there questions that are typically asked at callbacks but not at OCI screening interviews?

I had a callback last week (NYC) and the interviews were very similar to OCI. I met with three partners for 30 mins apiece and no one asked anything I hadn't heard in OCI interviews. The one thing you'll need a kick-ass answer to is "Why this firm?" Also, it absolutely FLEW by.
Thanks. Did they ask you to bring anything to the callback? Did you bring anything?

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:44 am

well nyc firms generally don't ask for writing samples/references ever. if they don't ask for them at the CB, i'd think that they don't ever need them.
Last edited by underdawg on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:45 am

underdawg wrote:

well nyc firms generally don't ask for writing samples/references ever. if they don't ask for them at the CB, i'd think that they don't ever need them.

Akin Gump requires references. It's on their callback info sheet.

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:
underdawg wrote:

bully for you
Last edited by underdawg on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:48 am

underdawg wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
underdawg wrote:

bully for you

huh?

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:01 am

Who do you use for references? Profs where you did good in their class?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:23 am

XxSpyKEx wrote:Who do you use for references? Profs where you did good in their class?

and summer job bosses.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks. Did they ask you to bring anything to the callback? Did you bring anything?
No, and my callback letter specifically said "you do not need to bring any paperwork to the interview" (the exception would be if something on your resume has been updated since the initial screening interview)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:11 pm

Had a callback today, agreed that it's basically just a string of screening interviews. Definitely be prepared to ask questions though since all of them left time for questions from me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:Had a callback today, agreed that it's basically just a string of screening interviews. Definitely be prepared to ask questions though since all of them left time for questions from me.
did they tell you how long it'd take for you to hear back?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Had a callback today, agreed that it's basically just a string of screening interviews. Definitely be prepared to ask questions though since all of them left time for questions from me.
Nope, unfortunately forgot to ask. Most likely a while since they haven't even finished screening interviews at other schools?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:
mine (NYC) told me a couple weeks. I think it depends on how often the hiring committee meets which will vary by firm.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”