really really horrible OCI luck

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
DCLabor25

Re: really really horrible OCI luck

Postby DCLabor25 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:44 pm

rayiner wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
strawberrysmoothie wrote:
the question i mainly have is: am i the victim of bad luck/bad economy or is there something fundamentally wrong with the way i interview/present myself? career services isn't really offering any meaningful advice or assistance at this point. if i'm not getting callbacks, should i just drop out of law school and cut my losses rather than take on more debt that i won't be able to pay back?

That sucks. It sounds like what you really need is some good, honest feedback. If you have several people working at your career service office, I'd schedule another appointment time with the one whose reputation is the harshest, most brutal one. go in there and specifically ask for an honest assessment about why you're not getting more cbs - whether it's your grades, interviewing, whatever. I hope that they can at least point you in the right direction. I don't know if your school offers mock interviews or if you missed the date for that, but maybe you can ask them to arrange another one with you, even with one of the full-time counselor people, so they can give you more tips on what you may be doing right and wrong.

I doubt that what's happening is 100% you (translation: it's not all you; don't take it personally). Part of it is the market right now, but if there is anything that you could improve on, it sounds like maybe you really just want an honest assessment of what's going on and how you can be a better candidate NOW. If you can't get career services to help you, maybe get a friend or family member, or even a professor or TA or something who has gone through the process and isn't afraid to be really honest with you about giving you 3rd person constructive feedback.

I'm not sure about cutting your losses part... depends how much you actually like the law and law school, but it seems like a waste, to me... but you only know for yourself...

The idea of cutting my losses is really depressing to me too--I actually love law school, and think that being a lawyer is a good fit for my personal strengths and personality. Biglaw, Inc. disagrees however. I'm really regretting my decision to attend T14 for sticker over several T25s that gave me full or nearly full rides; at the time that I made my decision, all data and advice that I was getting pointed me in the direction of the more prestigious school. What pisses me off more is that the only real distinction between T14 and T25 is the brand name and what career services offers; now career services is not offering me anything useful at all, so I can't help but feel a little gypped--and it's too late to transfer. So the only reason I'm considering cutting my losses is that it seems hard to justify a $130k+ investment in the next two years of education (sticker tuition plus living cost), when there's an increasing likelihood of $0 return.

apologies for incoherency of this response

What are your alternative prospects, though? $65k in debt looking for a $30k job with your BA might be worse than $200k looking for a $60k legal job.

Actually, $60K legal jobs are very rare. You are more likely to take out $200K in debt for say a $45-$50K job and possibly even less than that. I think there is sometimes this myth out there that alot of legal jobs are available starting at the $60-$80 range or so. The reality is that these jobs are very, very rare. Look at this NALP chart for further confirmation of this point:

http://www.nalp.org/08saldistribution

Quite frankly, $200K is an astounding amount of debt, especially when you consider that around $140 of that is at interest rate of 8 or 9 percent. I would probably prefer to have far less debt and make less money than have 3x as much debt but only have my salary increase by say $15K. But that's just me.

Dtackpat75

Postby Dtackpat75 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:29 pm

rayiner wrote:
Dtackpat75 wrote:Hey it really just time to look outside of the box. Look into some management consulting firms for summer work. I hear they like JDs. Thats not bad work and can be very prestigious and might still help you get a corporate gig down the road. Your chances of big law are slim to none but above median at T14 there are other places out there that would love to have somebody as smart and educated as yourself. Chin up!!

Why would a management consulting firm hire him over the 2000+ other T14 kids who are above median?

I am guessing somebody is going into Big Law from a T14 among lots of other different career choices, so its not like he is competing against tons of T14 grads all clamoring to work at Mckinsey and Bain. Not to mention it still offers a firm like atmosphere where you can do interesting prestigious work. The big knock is that you won't be practicing law. It was an example of an alterior career path that one could pursue that needs to make six figures coming out of LS to pay off debt.

Was there a purpose your post that I missed?

tmw888

Postby tmw888 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:07 pm

I am guessing somebody is going into Big Law from a T14 among lots of other different career choices, so its not like he is competing against tons of T14 grads all clamoring to work at Mckinsey and Bain. Not to mention it still offers a firm like atmosphere where you can do interesting prestigious work. The big knock is that you won't be practicing law. It was an example of an alterior career path that one could pursue that needs to make six figures coming out of LS to pay off debt.

Was there a purpose your post that I missed?[/quote]

+1. they'll be interested in him/her because he/she's interested in them. in business it's all about being proactive. i spent 3.5 years at a management consulting firm w/ practice in disputes/investigations which employs attorneys, though as i wasn't part of that group i have no idea whether they hire fresh law school grads.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:14 pm

Dtackpat75 wrote:
rayiner wrote:
Dtackpat75 wrote:Hey it really just time to look outside of the box. Look into some management consulting firms for summer work. I hear they like JDs. Thats not bad work and can be very prestigious and might still help you get a corporate gig down the road. Your chances of big law are slim to none but above median at T14 there are other places out there that would love to have somebody as smart and educated as yourself. Chin up!!

Why would a management consulting firm hire him over the 2000+ other T14 kids who are above median?

Was there a purpose your post that I missed?

My point is that there are a ton of T14 kids from whom biglaw is not an option, and a lot of them have better grades than him. They will be competing with him for all of these other jobs. What's to set him apart from those folks?

Return to “Legal Employment”