non-oci jobsearch results

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

non-oci jobsearch results

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:35 pm

So for those of us who are trying to find jobs outside of OCI, how's that going? What has worked for you so far? What cities seem to be receptive to the resume-drop/letter-writing effort?

I did a pretty big letter-writing campaign and have gotten interviews at around 10 percent and rejection/"we're not hiring" from around 20-30 percent. I'm somewhere above median at t14. I mostly targeted secondary markets in the mid-atlantic/northeast. The closer to new york you get the worse it gets it seems to me.

Anonymous User

Re: non-oci jobsearch results

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:38 pm

I found my job through a posting on my school's job bulletin board (electronic). This was/is an in-house position with a medium sized corporation, not the type of job that would lend itself to OCI anyway.

There are some really interesting jobs out there that won't be advertised. More than ever, it is important to network and explore other paths to find employment.

gollymolly

Postby gollymolly » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:54 pm

Last edited by gollymolly on Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:51 pm

Yes, it is possible. I have a full time offer. However, I worked in that industry, with a different company, for 7 years prior to starting law school. Sometimes, knowledge of the industry can trump legal knowledge

Alexandria

Postby Alexandria » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:Yes, it is possible. I have a full time offer. However, I worked in that industry, with a different company, for 7 years prior to starting law school. Sometimes, knowledge of the industry can trump legal knowledge

This is very true. A friend of mine (who posts on here) is about to start a fantastic Honors Program job with a government agency. Her law school grades were not so good, but her resume is absolutely fantastic... perfect for this agency. Plus, come to think of it, her law school grades in classes in this field were also fantastic.

Return to “Legal Employment”