assuming hypothetically that no callbacks happen

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

assuming hypothetically that no callbacks happen

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:56 am

what should one do? I've already contacted about 30 firms in a smaller market, but most have responded with some version of either "we're not hiring at all" or "we're hiring, but not gonna hire you." This is just kind of hard to deal with b/c I'm above-median at a very prestigious (and expensive) school, but nobody seems to want to hire me.

Matthies

Re: assuming hypothetically that no callbacks happen

Postby Matthies » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:what should one do? I've already contacted about 30 firms in a smaller market, but most have responded with some version of either "we're not hiring at all" or "we're hiring, but not gonna hire you." This is just kind of hard to deal with b/c I'm above-median at a very prestigious (and expensive) school, but nobody seems to want to hire me.

You should start networking. Join your local bar association as a student member, go to events. CLE’s of the areas you would like to practice. Look for an Inn of the court in your town. Start now, by end of 3L you should have about 10 or so lawyers and judges your good friends with.

You then have access to their network. A lot of legal jobs are not advertised, they are word of mouth positions where someone knows someone who is looking for someone. The only way to tap into this “hidden” legal market is by knowing lawyers and judges well enough that they will put their name on the line to recommend you to your friends. This takes time and EFFORT on your part in getting out in the legal community OUTSIDE of school and making friends. It’s a slow process at first so start now, but once you have a good network doors open for you that you never knew were possible.

Return to “Legal Employment”