Clerkship Hiring Thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Corsair

Gold

Re: Clerkship Hiring Thread

Post by Corsair » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:47 pm

TTT-LS

Silver

Post by TTT-LS » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:11 am

Last edited by TTT-LS on Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:05 am

I'll be talking to CSO about this sometime in the near future, but maybe someone on here has an idea.

Any idea what type of grades are the norm for someone looking at DC clerkships in places like ED TX and WD WI from schools in the T15-T18 range? Does a solid IP background help at all when looking at judges who do lots of IP cases?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:14 am

TTT-LS wrote:So, anyone else have luck? Seems like TLS self-selects to people towards the high end of each school's curve, so I'd be surprised if I'm the only one clerking...
Got lucky enough to get COA on 2/7/9/DC. I loved the judge that offered, and he offered during the interview on the first day, so I ended up done pretty early.

charliec9

New

Post by charliec9 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'll be talking to CSO about this sometime in the near future, but maybe someone on here has an idea.

Any idea what type of grades are the norm for someone looking at DC clerkships in places like ED TX and WD WI from schools in the T15-T18 range? Does a solid IP background help at all when looking at judges who do lots of IP cases?
If T15-18 means you are at Texas, then I think you'll be in good shape with top 10 percent and some kind of journal, especially if you have Texas ties. As I understand it, Texas judges, especially DCT, care a great deal about ties and Texas has sick placement in its own state and with alum elsewhere.

Of course, this depends a great deal on how competitive your clerkship cycle is; for a variety of reasons, this cycle was probably the most competitive in a decade. Mileage will vary accordingly.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:14 pm

So, anyone else have luck? Seems like TLS self-selects to people towards the high end of each school's curve, so I'd be surprised if I'm the only one clerking...
I didn't apply myself, but I have multiple friends who are at the very top of their class, CCN, Law Review, who (so far) have struck out. It's a terrible year to be looking for a clerkship.

TTT-LS

Silver

Post by TTT-LS » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:49 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'll be talking to CSO about this sometime in the near future, but maybe someone on here has an idea.

I reviewed resumes of some applicants who received interviews with an EDTX judge a few years ago. About 20-25% of interviewees were from UT, GPAs 3.6X, 3.8X, and 3.9X.

When researching judges, keep in mind that all the judges in the district might not do IP. For example, Judge Davis in EDTX is considered the "IP" judge. So don't write to a judge about how much you want to do IP if the judge doesn't really handle IP cases.

Corsair

Gold

Post by Corsair » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:02 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

zay

New

Post by zay » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:07 pm

Corsair wrote:I have an interview tomorrow with a justice from the Supreme Court of Alaska. I assume they visit other top schools as well, but here one of the five justices comes, interviews ten or so students (I have no idea what criteria career services uses to select those ten. It could be random for all I know.) then reports back to the group. Then apparently the judges get together and have a draft.

An interesting way to go about it, and certainly cuts down on the total number of travel hours for various individual applicants.
Good luck! I know a lot of judges from Alaska will interview candidates when they are travelling (Kleinfeld does this) so they can minimize the burden on applicants.

I have a few more interviews to go as well, hopefully something will stick. Congrats to all who have already landed clerkships!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:27 pm

I reviewed resumes of some applicants who received interviews with an EDTX judge a few years ago. About 20-25% of interviewees were from UT, GPAs 3.6X, 3.8X, and 3.9X.

When researching judges, keep in mind that all the judges in the district might not do IP. For example, Judge Davis in EDTX is considered the "IP" judge. So don't write to a judge about how much you want to do IP if the judge doesn't really handle IP cases.
Baylor also does well in EDTX.

Davis, Ward, and Folsom are "the IP judges." Clark's patent docket is growing, and he expressed an interest in IP-focused applicants this year on OSCAR. M.J. Everingham is also running a significant number of patent trials.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:49 pm

COA. Still can't believe it.

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:52 pm

Corsair wrote:I have an interview tomorrow with a justice from the Supreme Court of Alaska. I assume they visit other top schools as well, but here one of the five justices comes, interviews ten or so students (I have no idea what criteria career services uses to select those ten. It could be random for all I know.) then reports back to the group. Then apparently the judges get together and have a draft.

An interesting way to go about it, and certainly cuts down on the total number of travel hours for various individual applicants.
That sounds awesome, especially if you're interested in land rights/natural resources/Native American law. Good luck!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TTT-LS

Silver

Post by TTT-LS » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:12 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dania

New

Post by Dania » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from the Supreme Courts of MA or CT? I'm ~ top 1/3, secondary journal at CCN and I thought I might have a shot at some state courts, but it's looking like a no at this point. I haven't heard anything from Fed. judges, but that was practically guaranteed.
Justice Cordy from MA hired a clerk.

Corsair

Gold

Post by Corsair » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:20 pm

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:04 pm

Each day sees more names being put up on the clerkship offer board at Texas. The proactive judges may be done, but the slower ones still seem to be in the game.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TTT-LS

Silver

Post by TTT-LS » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:49 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Corsair

Gold

Post by Corsair » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:17 pm

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:19 pm

Corsair wrote:
TTT-LS wrote:
Corsair wrote:Federal court interview obtained. Looks like people are still being contacted.
Congrats & good luck with the interview!
Thank you, and I'm sorry for doubting you when you told me to be patient. :)
Good luck!

DelDad

Bronze

Post by DelDad » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:05 pm

Corsair wrote:
TTT-LS wrote:
Corsair wrote:Federal court interview obtained. Looks like people are still being contacted.
Congrats & good luck with the interview!
Thank you, and I'm sorry for doubting you when you told me to be patient. :)
Congrats on the interview and good luck!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Corsair

Gold

Post by Corsair » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:41 pm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:48 am

Corsair wrote:The worst part though is it isn't for another few weeks. The waiting will be the death of me.
Nah, the worst part is after you've had the interview and you are waiting to hear back...:)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Corsair wrote:The worst part though is it isn't for another few weeks. The waiting will be the death of me.
Nah, the worst part is after you've had the interview and you are waiting to hear back...:)

CREDITED. :)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
CREDITED. :)

Seriously. It seems like COA and uber-competitive D. Ct. (e.g., SDNY) do on-the-spot, and then everyone else takes their sweet sweet time...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”