Biglaw lawyer taking questions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TLSNYC
Posts: 509
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:38 pm

Re: Biglaw lawyer taking questions

Postby TLSNYC » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:48 pm

So, I am a fairly clueless 0L, so please excuse any truly stupid questions.

1. Do you find that you get to generally work on specific cases that you find interesting? One of my qualms about biglaw is that I'm interested in criminal law, yet I feel I won't be able to get my hands near white collar stuff for years.

2. Do you think the market a firm is in significantly colors a litigators job? I.e. could a firm in NYC be more focused on Wall Street related issues, whereas a DC-oriented firm might give a litigator more of a government flavor, i.e. works on litigation issues pertaining to regulatory agencies, etc.

3. How long does an associate have to spend at a typical firm before he/she gets some real court time based on your experience at your firm?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Biglaw lawyer taking questions

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:54 pm

Any advice on how to manage an intra-office transfer? Assume second to third year associate and a family-related reason (aka my wife hates market X).

User avatar
vamedic03
Posts: 1579
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:50 am

Re: Biglaw lawyer taking questions

Postby vamedic03 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
3rdYrLitigator wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So I accepted a summer job with a firm in my Secondary market. (1L) Now that I'm getting closer I realize I really, really, really don't want to work there long term.

What would you say the etiquette to telling this firm that I wanted to back out of the job?

I'd be taking a Research Assistant position in its place.


My advice would be to suck it up and just do it. You're a 1L, who cares if you want to work there long term? Working at a firm will look better than being an RA for OCI. If there's some other reason why you don't want to work there, well just be prepared for that to follow you around if you want to work at even another firm in that secondary market. The legal practice can be a small world in many ways and I wouldn't burn bridges like that without a really good reason, besides just not wanting to work there.


What if I'm not going to be applying to my secondary market at OCI?


Why would you want to work as an RA rather than for a firm? Just because you don't want to be there long term isn't a reason to:

(a) give up a well paying position, and
(b) backout at the very last minute.

Professionals don't back out at the very last minute save a true emergency. You're going to be a licensed professional in a couple years. Start acting like it.

User avatar
Julio_El_Chavo
Posts: 803
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:09 pm

Re: Biglaw lawyer taking questions

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:06 am

vamedic03 wrote:You're going to be a licensed professional in a couple years. Start acting like it.


LOL

3rdYrLitigator
Posts: 249
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:52 pm

Re: Biglaw lawyer taking questions

Postby 3rdYrLitigator » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:
3rdYrLitigator wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So I accepted a summer job with a firm in my Secondary market. (1L) Now that I'm getting closer I realize I really, really, really don't want to work there long term.

What would you say the etiquette to telling this firm that I wanted to back out of the job?

I'd be taking a Research Assistant position in its place.


My advice would be to suck it up and just do it. You're a 1L, who cares if you want to work there long term? Working at a firm will look better than being an RA for OCI. If there's some other reason why you don't want to work there, well just be prepared for that to follow you around if you want to work at even another firm in that secondary market. The legal practice can be a small world in many ways and I wouldn't burn bridges like that without a really good reason, besides just not wanting to work there.


What if I'm not going to be applying to my secondary market at OCI?


I'd still do it, unless there's a compelling reason not to. It will look better from OCI to have actually worked than to have RA'ed. Just not wanted to work there is a bad reason to burn this bridge in my book.

3rdYrLitigator
Posts: 249
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:52 pm

Re: Biglaw lawyer taking questions

Postby 3rdYrLitigator » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:41 am

roranoa wrote:Are there some foreigners (non US citizen) doing litigation at your firm? I was just wondering how well foreigners fit in (as in hang out well with colleagues and partners) US firms. Do they do okay?

Oh, and when you interview applicants that are not US citizens (ex.a Chinese guy with a US JD) do you also consider something like,
'Oh, we could use this guy in our Hong Kong branch after a few years at NYC'

Or do you interview foreigners just like any other applicant?


Not that I know of, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were some that I didn't know.

Not really, I interview for my office and that's it, I don't consider whether the person is going to want to/be able to transfer to another office.

Pretty much.

3rdYrLitigator
Posts: 249
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:52 pm

Re: Biglaw lawyer taking questions

Postby 3rdYrLitigator » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:44 am

TLSNYC wrote:So, I am a fairly clueless 0L, so please excuse any truly stupid questions.

1. Do you find that you get to generally work on specific cases that you find interesting? One of my qualms about biglaw is that I'm interested in criminal law, yet I feel I won't be able to get my hands near white collar stuff for years.

2. Do you think the market a firm is in significantly colors a litigators job? I.e. could a firm in NYC be more focused on Wall Street related issues, whereas a DC-oriented firm might give a litigator more of a government flavor, i.e. works on litigation issues pertaining to regulatory agencies, etc.

3. How long does an associate have to spend at a typical firm before he/she gets some real court time based on your experience at your firm?


1. Definitely. I'm sure there are firms out there that would let you specialize early, just find one and go into that department right off the bat.

2. Yes, I think the market could change things, but I think the firm's focus is more important.

3. Years and if you mean something beyond being a 2nd chair, then years and years. You can be a senior associate without ever having been to trial at a Biglaw firm.

3rdYrLitigator
Posts: 249
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:52 pm

Re: Biglaw lawyer taking questions

Postby 3rdYrLitigator » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any advice on how to manage an intra-office transfer? Assume second to third year associate and a family-related reason (aka my wife hates market X).


Well it depends on your relationship in the department and how much your department has a presence in that office. I think firms understand family-related issues, but I wouldn't say it's because your wife hates that city. That's a pretty weak reason in my book.

User avatar
thecilent
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: Biglaw lawyer taking questions

Postby thecilent » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:47 am

Does anyone care if you're on your phone a lot throughout the day, like, texting and whatnot?

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Biglaw lawyer taking questions

Postby Renzo » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:47 am

thecilent wrote:Does anyone care if you're on your phone a lot throughout the day, like, texting and whatnot?


If this is a serious question, I worry for the future of our nation.

User avatar
thecilent
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: Biglaw lawyer taking questions

Postby thecilent » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:41 pm

Renzo wrote:
thecilent wrote:Does anyone care if you're on your phone a lot throughout the day, like, texting and whatnot?


If this is a serious question, I worry for the future of our nation.

Srs question.

User avatar
lightyourselfonfire
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:13 pm

Re: Biglaw lawyer taking questions

Postby lightyourselfonfire » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:56 pm

Do you have to sign a no compete clause when hired? If so what does it entail? Have you seen many people move from big law to going out on their own with or without partners. I have noticed a lot of product liability trial attorneys start in big law on the defense side and flip have you seen this? Thanks!!

User avatar
Ahhhnold
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:33 pm

Re: Biglaw lawyer taking questions

Postby Ahhhnold » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:14 pm

lightyourselfonfire wrote:Do you have to sign a no compete clause when hired? If so what does it entail? Have you seen many people move from big law to going out on their own with or without partners. I have noticed a lot of product liability trial attorneys start in big law on the defense side and flip have you seen this? Thanks!!


In Illinois no competes for lawyers are illegal.

Sup Kid
Posts: 557
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:49 pm

Re: Biglaw lawyer taking questions

Postby Sup Kid » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:53 pm

Ahhhnold wrote:
lightyourselfonfire wrote:Do you have to sign a no compete clause when hired? If so what does it entail? Have you seen many people move from big law to going out on their own with or without partners. I have noticed a lot of product liability trial attorneys start in big law on the defense side and flip have you seen this? Thanks!!


In Illinois no competes for lawyers are illegal.

And it most states, even if it's not illegal, it'd be unethical to enter into one. See Model Rule 5.6 (http://www.americanbar.org/groups/profe ... ctice.html).

User avatar
thecilent
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: Biglaw lawyer taking questions

Postby thecilent » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:17 pm

Seanandcodylover wrote:http://www.Build A Bear.com/forums

JDO is not good. Although WSO is pretty good.

User avatar
swc65
Posts: 1003
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:27 am

Re: Biglaw lawyer taking questions

Postby swc65 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:57 pm

Thanks again for taking questions. This thread is amazing.

Do you think that taking an RA position for 1L summer is bad for OCI?

3rdYrLitigator
Posts: 249
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:52 pm

Re: Biglaw lawyer taking questions

Postby 3rdYrLitigator » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:47 pm

thecilent wrote:Does anyone care if you're on your phone a lot throughout the day, like, texting and whatnot?


I really don't know how to answer this. Partners answer email on their phone all the time, but they might get annoyed if every time they go into your office you're texting.

3rdYrLitigator
Posts: 249
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:52 pm

Re: Biglaw lawyer taking questions

Postby 3rdYrLitigator » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:48 pm

lightyourselfonfire wrote:Do you have to sign a no compete clause when hired? If so what does it entail? Have you seen many people move from big law to going out on their own with or without partners. I have noticed a lot of product liability trial attorneys start in big law on the defense side and flip have you seen this? Thanks!!


No I didn't have to sign one, nor have I heard of anyone ever having to sign one. I have seen people go out on their own, but usually at the partner level. I haven't noticed the product liability trial attorneys but I guess it wouldn't surprise me.

3rdYrLitigator
Posts: 249
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:52 pm

Re: Biglaw lawyer taking questions

Postby 3rdYrLitigator » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:49 pm

swc65 wrote:Thanks again for taking questions. This thread is amazing.

Do you think that taking an RA position for 1L summer is bad for OCI?


No, no one really expects a 1L to have much better.

User avatar
vamedic03
Posts: 1579
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:50 am

Re: Biglaw lawyer taking questions

Postby vamedic03 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:21 pm

thecilent wrote:Does anyone care if you're on your phone a lot throughout the day, like, texting and whatnot?


If it's not business related and it's not an urgent family matter, save it for after work.

User avatar
swc65
Posts: 1003
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:27 am

Re: Biglaw lawyer taking questions

Postby swc65 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:25 pm

3rdYrLitigator wrote:
swc65 wrote:Thanks again for taking questions. This thread is amazing.

Do you think that taking an RA position for 1L summer is bad for OCI?


No, no one really expects a 1L to have much better.



Thank you for lowering my stress level which is pretty high since I have my first exam in a week!!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Biglaw lawyer taking questions

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:58 pm

what role do grades play in permanent offers to SAs? How much of a GPA drop would be grounds for no offer?

User avatar
rocon7383
Posts: 431
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:02 pm

Re: Biglaw lawyer taking questions

Postby rocon7383 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:10 am

Does your firm hire any 1L SAs?

In general how rare are these, and are they pretty much only for the t-14?

Do you have specific advice for a SA to distinguish themselves? How do they stand out?

Thank you

User avatar
thecilent
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: Biglaw lawyer taking questions

Postby thecilent » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:42 am

vamedic03 wrote:
thecilent wrote:Does anyone care if you're on your phone a lot throughout the day, like, texting and whatnot?


If it's not business related and it's not an urgent family matter, save it for after work.

See that would not work for me. If I was going to be at an office for 10hrs/day I would have to be texting friends/girl(s) throughout.

User avatar
vamedic03
Posts: 1579
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:50 am

Re: Biglaw lawyer taking questions

Postby vamedic03 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:39 am

thecilent wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:
thecilent wrote:Does anyone care if you're on your phone a lot throughout the day, like, texting and whatnot?


If it's not business related and it's not an urgent family matter, save it for after work.

See that would not work for me. If I was going to be at an office for 10hrs/day I would have to be texting friends/girl(s) throughout.


(1) Flame.

(2) If not flame, then you should probably consider growing up before going to law school.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.