Biglaw lawyer taking questions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Biglaw lawyer taking questions

Postby Renzo » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:28 pm

3rdYrLitigator wrote:
Renzo wrote:Tips for being a successful SA?


Generic stuff, always make sure you understand your assignment, how long you're expected to take, when it's needed, and what format it should be in. You'd be surprised how often summers (and junior associates) don't do this and miss something.

Also, even if the requesting partner/attorney asks for something fairly informal, make sure you keep track of your research trail, all the cases you reviewed, and put it in a decent format.

Is your firm an open-market type, or a more formal assignment system for noobs? Any advice on making contacts to get work as a SA/first year?

3rdYrLitigator
Posts: 249
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:52 pm

Re: Biglaw lawyer taking questions

Postby 3rdYrLitigator » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:30 pm

Renzo wrote:
3rdYrLitigator wrote:
Renzo wrote:Tips for being a successful SA?


Generic stuff, always make sure you understand your assignment, how long you're expected to take, when it's needed, and what format it should be in. You'd be surprised how often summers (and junior associates) don't do this and miss something.

Also, even if the requesting partner/attorney asks for something fairly informal, make sure you keep track of your research trail, all the cases you reviewed, and put it in a decent format.

Is your firm an open-market type, or a more formal assignment system for noobs? Any advice on making contacts to get work as a SA/first year?


Open market. As much as I thought that those meet and greets 1Ls get invited to were worthless when I was going through law school, it can help. Even if you don't get a 1L SA job, they keep track of everyone who comes through and partners do keep track of people they meet at those things.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Biglaw lawyer taking questions

Postby Renzo » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:46 pm

3rdYrLitigator wrote:
Renzo wrote:
3rdYrLitigator wrote:
Renzo wrote:Tips for being a successful SA?


Generic stuff, always make sure you understand your assignment, how long you're expected to take, when it's needed, and what format it should be in. You'd be surprised how often summers (and junior associates) don't do this and miss something.

Also, even if the requesting partner/attorney asks for something fairly informal, make sure you keep track of your research trail, all the cases you reviewed, and put it in a decent format.

Is your firm an open-market type, or a more formal assignment system for noobs? Any advice on making contacts to get work as a SA/first year?


Open market. As much as I thought that those meet and greets 1Ls get invited to were worthless when I was going through law school, it can help. Even if you don't get a 1L SA job, they keep track of everyone who comes through and partners do keep track of people they meet at those things.

Sorry, I should be clearer. I have a 2L gig coming up; I meant internal office connections of the sort that might lead to permanent offer, mentoring opportunities, getting hours, etc.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273400
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Biglaw lawyer taking questions

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:10 pm

Any advice for a T3 student (top3%, LR) who landed a SA position at a V20 about shedding my school's reputation? I am concerned that I will be treated differently/have the deck stacked against me with respect to assignments, projects, etc.

3rdYrLitigator
Posts: 249
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:52 pm

Re: Biglaw lawyer taking questions

Postby 3rdYrLitigator » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:14 pm

Renzo wrote:Sorry, I should be clearer. I have a 2L gig coming up; I meant internal office connections of the sort that might lead to permanent offer, mentoring opportunities, getting hours, etc.


Sorry. Just do good work, don't slack off, and don't do anything stupid at firm events. At my firm, the offer is yours to lose, as long as you don't screw it up you're fine.

3rdYrLitigator
Posts: 249
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:52 pm

Re: Biglaw lawyer taking questions

Postby 3rdYrLitigator » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any advice for a T3 student (top3%, LR) who landed a SA position at a V20 about shedding my school's reputation? I am concerned that I will be treated differently/have the deck stacked against me with respect to assignments, projects, etc.


I wouldn't be too worried about it, if you have the offer they want you there. I haven't noticed associates getting treated differently based on school. They wouldn't bring you in just to stack the deck against you.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273400
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Biglaw lawyer taking questions

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:19 pm

Do you foresee the 2010 summer class, or now the 2011 summer class, still facing the possibility of deferrals or high no offer rates (for this summer's class)?

3rdYrLitigator
Posts: 249
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:52 pm

Re: Biglaw lawyer taking questions

Postby 3rdYrLitigator » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do you foresee the 2010 summer class, or now the 2011 summer class, still facing the possibility of deferrals or high no offer rates (for this summer's class)?


I guess it's possible, but I think in general most firms were a lot smarter about being conservative with their class sizes. I doubt there wil be high no offer rates. I could see more firms pushing to a January start date though.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: Biglaw lawyer taking questions

Postby Kohinoor » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any advice for a T3 student (top3%, LR) who landed a SA position at a V20 about shedding my school's reputation? I am concerned that I will be treated differently/have the deck stacked against me with respect to assignments, projects, etc.

When they spit on you, don't stop smiling.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273400
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Biglaw lawyer taking questions

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:41 pm

Easier to smile when you dont have loans...

User avatar
KMaine
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:57 pm

Re: Biglaw lawyer taking questions

Postby KMaine » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:Easier to smile when you dont have loans...


I would imagine quite the opposite.

User avatar
DamnLSAT
Posts: 164
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:14 pm

Re: Biglaw lawyer taking questions

Postby DamnLSAT » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:31 am

Just wanted to say thanks 3rdYr.

The information ITT is extremely helpful. While I do not have a question of my own at the time, I look forward to more of your replies.

Curry

Re: Biglaw lawyer taking questions

Postby Curry » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:42 pm

Thanks for all the awesome info!

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Biglaw lawyer taking questions

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:29 pm

Curry wrote:Thanks for all the awesome info!

User avatar
Julio_El_Chavo
Posts: 803
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:09 pm

Re: Biglaw lawyer taking questions

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:34 pm

this thread is a goldmine. tytytyty

Anonymous User
Posts: 273400
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Biglaw lawyer taking questions

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:14 pm

Should I be deterred from pursuing litigation if I don't have any courtroom experience and don't think I have the strongest public-speaking skills? I don't get nervous at all when I speak in front of people, but I don't think I come off as particularly eloquent.

I realize most biglaw litigation work is paperwork, but should I still be dissuaded?

3rdYrLitigator
Posts: 249
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:52 pm

Re: Biglaw lawyer taking questions

Postby 3rdYrLitigator » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:Should I be deterred from pursuing litigation if I don't have any courtroom experience and don't think I have the strongest public-speaking skills? I don't get nervous at all when I speak in front of people, but I don't think I come off as particularly eloquent.

I realize most biglaw litigation work is paperwork, but should I still be dissuaded?


Not necessarily, there are some partners who focus on brief writing and have throughout their career. I don't think every successful biglaw litigator is seen as someone who would be great in a courtroom. So I wouldn't necessarily let that dissuade you, I think what's more important is what really interests you.

LoyalRebel
Posts: 193
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:20 pm

Re: Biglaw lawyer taking questions

Postby LoyalRebel » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:59 am

Just FYI...

OP, if you're posting this from work there's a good chance the IT people at your firm will read some of what you've written. I'd consider what you want your employer to know before you post it.

Just helping out.

3rdYrLitigator
Posts: 249
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:52 pm

Re: Biglaw lawyer taking questions

Postby 3rdYrLitigator » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:07 pm

LoyalRebel wrote:Just FYI...

OP, if you're posting this from work there's a good chance the IT people at your firm will read some of what you've written. I'd consider what you want your employer to know before you post it.

Just helping out.


Yeah, don't worry, I don't post from work.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273400
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Biglaw lawyer taking questions

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:52 pm

So I accepted a summer job with a firm in my Secondary market. (1L) Now that I'm getting closer I realize I really, really, really don't want to work there long term.

What would you say the etiquette to telling this firm that I wanted to back out of the job?

I'd be taking a Research Assistant position in its place.

User avatar
quakeroats
Posts: 1399
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:34 am

Re: Biglaw lawyer taking questions

Postby quakeroats » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:05 pm

On average, how many hours do you work per week? If you can, include in this all hours that can be described as work, i.e., from the office, at home, reading work related email, everything.

I apologize if this has already been asked, but I saw you answered a similar question and I wanted clarification.

3rdYrLitigator
Posts: 249
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:52 pm

Re: Biglaw lawyer taking questions

Postby 3rdYrLitigator » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So I accepted a summer job with a firm in my Secondary market. (1L) Now that I'm getting closer I realize I really, really, really don't want to work there long term.

What would you say the etiquette to telling this firm that I wanted to back out of the job?

I'd be taking a Research Assistant position in its place.


My advice would be to suck it up and just do it. You're a 1L, who cares if you want to work there long term? Working at a firm will look better than being an RA for OCI. If there's some other reason why you don't want to work there, well just be prepared for that to follow you around if you want to work at even another firm in that secondary market. The legal practice can be a small world in many ways and I wouldn't burn bridges like that without a really good reason, besides just not wanting to work there.

3rdYrLitigator
Posts: 249
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:52 pm

Re: Biglaw lawyer taking questions

Postby 3rdYrLitigator » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:30 pm

quakeroats wrote:On average, how many hours do you work per week? If you can, include in this all hours that can be described as work, i.e., from the office, at home, reading work related email, everything.

I apologize if this has already been asked, but I saw you answered a similar question and I wanted clarification.


As a really rough estimate 55-65, if you include everything in and average it out over the year. That's a really rough guess, I've never tried to add up all the work, but non-billable time together.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273400
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Biglaw lawyer taking questions

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:31 pm

3rdYrLitigator wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So I accepted a summer job with a firm in my Secondary market. (1L) Now that I'm getting closer I realize I really, really, really don't want to work there long term.

What would you say the etiquette to telling this firm that I wanted to back out of the job?

I'd be taking a Research Assistant position in its place.


My advice would be to suck it up and just do it. You're a 1L, who cares if you want to work there long term? Working at a firm will look better than being an RA for OCI. If there's some other reason why you don't want to work there, well just be prepared for that to follow you around if you want to work at even another firm in that secondary market. The legal practice can be a small world in many ways and I wouldn't burn bridges like that without a really good reason, besides just not wanting to work there.


What if I'm not going to be applying to my secondary market at OCI?

roranoa
Posts: 588
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:18 am

Re: Biglaw lawyer taking questions

Postby roranoa » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:41 pm

Are there some foreigners (non US citizen) doing litigation at your firm? I was just wondering how well foreigners fit in (as in hang out well with colleagues and partners) US firms. Do they do okay?

Oh, and when you interview applicants that are not US citizens (ex.a Chinese guy with a US JD) do you also consider something like,
'Oh, we could use this guy in our Hong Kong branch after a few years at NYC'

Or do you interview foreigners just like any other applicant?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.