Biglaw lawyer taking questions Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Re: Biglaw lawyer taking questions

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:44 am

Do you know any people in the bankruptcy group at your firm? If so, does it seem like things are slowing down, and what do the exit options seem to be for bankruptcy folks?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:51 am

ToTransferOrNot wrote:Do you know any people in the bankruptcy group at your firm? If so, does it seem like things are slowing down, and what do the exit options seem to be for bankruptcy folks?
I can answer about my firm: BK is always busy. It was absolutely crazy last year and the year before. Things have definitely slowed down, but it's still very, very busy.

It doesn't take a law firm insider to know this either. Just look at the number of bankruptcy filings last year and their asset values and compare them to the year before.

rocon7383

Bronze

Post by rocon7383 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:46 am

0LNewbie wrote:How obnoxious is tracking your activity in 6 minute increments? That's one of the things about biglaw that is most off-putting to me. I probably need to get over it.

Could you explain what this means? I'm oblivious.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:52 am

Not to be overly simple, but are you happy?

jchoggan

New

Post by jchoggan » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:53 am

rocon7383 wrote:
0LNewbie wrote:How obnoxious is tracking your activity in 6 minute increments? That's one of the things about biglaw that is most off-putting to me. I probably need to get over it.

Could you explain what this means? I'm oblivious.
You track billable hours in 6-minute increments... it's how your firm gets paid (typically), and one of the primary ways you get evaluated. From what I understand, it is rather obnoxious, but you get used to it pretty quickly... just part of the grind.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Stanislaw Carter

Bronze

Post by Stanislaw Carter » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:55 am

You track billable hours in 6-minute increments... it's how your firm gets paid (typically), and how you get evaluated. From what I understand, it is rather obnoxious, but you get used to it pretty quickly... just part of the grind.
Not every firm does those increments.

rocon7383

Bronze

Post by rocon7383 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:55 am

homestyle28 wrote:Not to be overly simple, but are you happy?
+1, but building off of it, would you say working in biglaw has had an overall negative or positive impact on your social life/friendships/relationships? Obviously, I don't expect you to get into specifics but appreciate any insight you may offer.

japes

Bronze

Post by japes » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:55 am

Would longish hair on a guy be a negative in an interview? Assume it's around shoulder-length and well-groomed, and cutting it could have a negative impact on confidence in the interview.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:58 am

japes wrote:Would longish hair on a guy be a negative in an interview? Assume it's around shoulder-length and well-groomed, and cutting it could have a negative impact on confidence in the interview.
Samson, esq.?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nixxers

Bronze

Post by nixxers » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:39 pm

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but how do 1L's apply for summer positions with your firm? i.e. is the information your firm's website or...?

thanks so much for taking the time to do this, I've been following it since the beginning and it's been very helpful.

japes

Bronze

Post by japes » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:44 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
japes wrote:Would longish hair on a guy be a negative in an interview? Assume it's around shoulder-length and well-groomed, and cutting it could have a negative impact on confidence in the interview.
Samson, esq.?
I've had it that way since probably middle school and am very uncomfortable with the idea of cutting it short for a variety of personal reasons. I'm wondering if I can get by with cutting my hair for interviews or if I should just get used to it being short.

bmontminy

Bronze

Post by bmontminy » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:47 pm

In your experience, if a 1L has average grades first semester, but killer grades the second semester, will firms note this difference to an extent it may make a difference? Or is it strictly looking at the overall GPA?

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:25 pm

Stanislaw Carter wrote:
You track billable hours in 6-minute increments... it's how your firm gets paid (typically), and how you get evaluated. From what I understand, it is rather obnoxious, but you get used to it pretty quickly... just part of the grind.
It's often up to the client you're doing the work for. The firm I was at (as an admin) set its default to 15-minute increments, but if the client requires 6-minute increments you have to switch to that.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:30 pm

Do you find that there is any age discrimination? In other words, when your firm is looking to hire new attorneys, is there an implicit preference for those in their mid 20s as opposed to those in their late 20s or older?

Thank you.

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do you find that there is any age discrimination? In other words, when your firm is looking to hire new attorneys, is there an implicit preference for those in their mid 20s as opposed to those in their late 20s or older?

Thank you.
As a 30 y.o. 2L, I can tell you that I certainly never faced any 'age discrimination' and, in general, had more success than my peers without work experience.

And, there's no reason a rational employer, if looking at 2 otherwise equally qualified candidates would choose the candidate without work experience just so the are younger.

Stanislaw Carter

Bronze

Post by Stanislaw Carter » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:36 pm

clintonius wrote:
Stanislaw Carter wrote:
It's often up to the client you're doing the work for. The firm I was at (as an admin) set its default to 15-minute increments, but if the client requires 6-minute increments you have to switch to that.
Again, it just depends on the firm. Some firms just have the clout to insist that they bill in 15-minute increments, whether clients like it or not.

Some practices, however, are prone to having finer increments.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:57 pm

clintonius wrote:
Stanislaw Carter wrote:
Bankruptcy had rules requiring 6 minute increments. Most of our other departments went by 10s.

::edit::

SDNY specific. YMMV.
Last edited by Kohinoor on Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:00 pm

So, if you work on the same thing for a couple of hours, it's not too much of a pain to enter the activity into whatever system right? Or does it suck no matter what.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:06 pm

0LNewbie wrote:So, if you work on the same thing for a couple of hours, it's not too much of a pain to enter the activity into whatever system right? Or does it suck no matter what.
As a practical matter, partners will pester you not to have a particularly long time block with one entry. So if you spent 12 hours marking up a merger agreement, you might get flak for "Reviewed Merger Agreement (12.00)". It usually goes down better if you have a few entries with detailed descriptions or at least many little entries.

3rdYrLitigator

Bronze

Post by 3rdYrLitigator » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:51 pm

JusticeJackson wrote:Would your firm hire a person that went to a terrible school, but did a Fed COA clerkship? If so, would you guys interview clerks that didn't summer there in the Fall?
Most likely and yes.

3rdYrLitigator

Bronze

Post by 3rdYrLitigator » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:52 pm

It's generally a pain in the ass.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

3rdYrLitigator

Bronze

Post by 3rdYrLitigator » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:53 pm

glitched wrote:Hello. Just wanted to start by saying thanks because this is great.

I think questions about work experience were asked before, but I wanted to ask how bad it looks if during my year off, I worked somewhere for about 5 months after graduation, quit, and then had a big time gap until law school started? Well I quit my job about a month and a half ago for personal reasons and I can't find a job and it looks like I might have to be unemployed until August.
I don't think it's a big deal, just be prepared to answer what you were doing.

3rdYrLitigator

Bronze

Post by 3rdYrLitigator » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:53 pm

soccerfreak wrote:How far down the "rankings" does your firm go for OCI?
OCI lists are available through NALP, I don't want to give out exact school rankings, but not that far.

3rdYrLitigator

Bronze

Post by 3rdYrLitigator » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:54 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:Do you know any people in the bankruptcy group at your firm? If so, does it seem like things are slowing down, and what do the exit options seem to be for bankruptcy folks?
Sorry, don't really have much interaction with them, I think they're generally busy, but have no idea about exit options.

3rdYrLitigator

Bronze

Post by 3rdYrLitigator » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:55 pm

homestyle28 wrote:Not to be overly simple, but are you happy?
Overall, I'd say I'm content. But there are times that I really hate Biglaw life.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”