Career Prospects Question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Career Prospects Question

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:29 am

median at Fordham/BU/BC/GW. have a feeling that I won't get biglaw summer associate gig for 2L summer. What good would it do (biglaw-wise) to have good 2L grades? Or is it oci or never?

Anonymous User

Re: Career Prospects Question

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:median at Fordham/BU/BC/GW. have a feeling that I won't get biglaw summer associate gig for 2L summer. What good would it do (biglaw-wise) to have good 2L grades? Or is it oci or never?

I know some rising 3Ls at schools ranked 10-20 who didn't get big law (or decided not to take a biglaw offer for some reason) after their 2L OCI. They are all very down on any possibility of getting a big firm offer now.

Da Stain

Postby Da Stain » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:54 am

I'd venture the most difficult part is that it's hard to commit to someone after an interview and callbacks only. The model is changing, but summer will always play a huge part of it if only just to make sure that the person is really someone you want to pay six figures to.

Corsair

Postby Corsair » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:27 am

gollymolly

Postby gollymolly » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:04 am

Last edited by gollymolly on Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Da Stain

Postby Da Stain » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:03 am

Corsair wrote:
Da Stain wrote:I'd venture the most difficult part is that it's hard to commit to someone after an interview and callbacks only. The model is changing, but summer will always play a huge part of it if only just to make sure that the person is really someone you want to pay six figures to.

This could be true, except that clearly isn't what the summer has been for, historically. If it were, the 100% offer rates that firms maintained wouldn't make sense. Either it means the screening interviews and callbacks WERE good enough to decide who to hire, or to be unfit to work at a firm you basically had to kill a man. Either option debunks the "summer is important!" theory.

Generally the whole model has been kind of dumb, as it further involves trying to guess your needs two years in advance.

But we also know that the 100% offer rate is sort of a farce what with cold offers and everything. I don't think there's any doubt that it has always been an extended interview, and while most of the time it works out for everyone, there are people who work their way out of a job more frequently than we think. Even if it is just a way to weed out the 2 out of 25 that you're going to cold-offer, it still makes more sense than spending the full salary to find that out.

Giving 2 SAs 60k, is a lot better than waiting 2 years to find out and actually get around to firing them while shelling out 640k.

Return to “Legal Employment”