Fordham Makes Reed Smith Pay a Price! Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
danquayle

Silver

Re: Fordham Makes Reed Smith Pay a Price!

Post by danquayle » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:17 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
neskerdoo wrote:I am starting to think that operasoprano herself is nothing more than a PR stunt pulled by her bff Dean Treanor...
Well, he did go to Yale. If that kid who designed JMS could pull it off, Dean Treanor could probably invent me. I wish he wouldn't make his fictional creation borrow $225,000 to attend the school, though.
Yes, because everyone who attended Yale is a genius, as recent history indicates...

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:34 am

danquayle wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
neskerdoo wrote:I am starting to think that operasoprano herself is nothing more than a PR stunt pulled by her bff Dean Treanor...
Well, he did go to Yale. If that kid who designed JMS could pull it off, Dean Treanor could probably invent me. I wish he wouldn't make his fictional creation borrow $225,000 to attend the school, though.
Yes, because everyone who attended Yale is a genius, as recent history indicates...
LOLness. True. He wouldn't really have to be a genius to create an elaborate hoax, though. He'd just need a team of creative professionals acting as consultants.

3rdYrLitigator

Bronze

Post by 3rdYrLitigator » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:36 am

OperaSoprano wrote: What results from this? A bit of press for Fordham (and some for Reed Smith, even if it is "negative"). A statement from RS telling the public that the firm doesn't think we suck. Most likely, a reconciliation sooner, rather than later. If I actually thought this letter was likely to damage Fordham in the eyes of employers, of course I'd be unhappy about it. It is, however, a tempest in a teapot. That's basically it.
I'm certainly no hiring partner, but here's my take on it as someone who does interviews and has talked with other attorneys at my firm (which hasn't had huge rounds of layoffs, discontinued its summer program, or pushed start dates) I think it makes Fordham look petulant and makes Fordham students look like they have senses of entitlement. From sitting inside a law firm, there must have been some extreme pressure for RS to drop OCI how they did it and when they did it. Did they handle it well? Obviously not, but it's not like the the management committee was sitting around saying "Well, things look tough, what should we do? Screw Fordham!" If I had the pull, I'd say maybe my firm should pull out of Fordham for the next 5 years as well. Sure, there are many talented lawyers who come out of Fordham every year, but it's not like a firm needs students from any school every year. So, in my eyes, Fordham's name is certainly blackened. Will it play a role if a Fordham student comes by my desk for a callback? Probably not, but that student better not give off an air of entitlement.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:20 am

3rdYrLitigator wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote: What results from this? A bit of press for Fordham (and some for Reed Smith, even if it is "negative"). A statement from RS telling the public that the firm doesn't think we suck. Most likely, a reconciliation sooner, rather than later. If I actually thought this letter was likely to damage Fordham in the eyes of employers, of course I'd be unhappy about it. It is, however, a tempest in a teapot. That's basically it.
I'm certainly no hiring partner, but here's my take on it as someone who does interviews and has talked with other attorneys at my firm (which hasn't had huge rounds of layoffs, discontinued its summer program, or pushed start dates) I think it makes Fordham look petulant and makes Fordham students look like they have senses of entitlement. From sitting inside a law firm, there must have been some extreme pressure for RS to drop OCI how they did it and when they did it. Did they handle it well? Obviously not, but it's not like the the management committee was sitting around saying "Well, things look tough, what should we do? Screw Fordham!" If I had the pull, I'd say maybe my firm should pull out of Fordham for the next 5 years as well. Sure, there are many talented lawyers who come out of Fordham every year, but it's not like a firm needs students from any school every year. So, in my eyes, Fordham's name is certainly blackened. Will it play a role if a Fordham student comes by my desk for a callback? Probably not, but that student better not give off an air of entitlement.
Thank you for sharing your views. I feel like we have too few practicing lawyers on TLS. I'm only a 1L, though I've tried to educate myself as much as possible about the realities of this market. This perception of Fordham students, however, could not be farther from the truth. As proud as I am of my school, my personal inferiority complex has now become a running joke. I would venture to say that more of my classmates give themselves grief than ever give it to others. Of course, I'm friends with a lot of public interest kids, so perhaps that colors my view. My classmates are helpful to a fault, and the last people I would ever consider "entitled."

In the main, however, I'd be surprised if firms in general are indignant over the plight of RS. If I'm wrong (and time will tell), I'll be the first to own up.

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:44 am

My God... I can't believe we're making such a big deal about something relating to FORDHAM of all places.

WTF is a Fordham anyways?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:01 am

CE2JD wrote:My God... I can't believe we're making such a big deal about something relating to FORDHAM of all places.

WTF is a Fordham anyways?
LOL, I can't believe you actually agree with me, albeit in a twisted way. The whole episode made me smile, but it's not exactly of pressing importance or lasting consequence. You correctly point out that we've all been talking about my school at length for the past 24 hours. That's basically a win in and of itself.

Enjoy your weekend!

rondemarino

Silver

Post by rondemarino » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:29 pm

Some perspectives on the Fordham v. Reed Smith dust up, via ATL (LinkRemoved):

1 - Faculty Lounge
2 - Adam Smith, Esq. (LinkRemoved)

As much fun as it was when I first read the e-mail, reality seems to be sinking in, at least for me. gobucks101 nailed it on the initial reaction.

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:48 pm

rondemarino wrote:Some perspectives on the Fordham v. Reed Smith dust up, via ATL (LinkRemoved):

1 - Faculty Lounge
2 - Adam Smith, Esq. (LinkRemoved)

As much fun as it was when I first read the e-mail, reality seems to be sinking in, at least for me. gobucks101 nailed it on the initial reaction.
Hey check it out -- two widely respected legal commentators thinking Fordham was retarded.

teaadntoast

Bronze

Post by teaadntoast » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:54 pm

3rdYrLitigator wrote: If I had the pull, I'd say maybe my firm should pull out of Fordham for the next 5 years as well. Sure, there are many talented lawyers who come out of Fordham every year, but it's not like a firm needs students from any school every year. So, in my eyes, Fordham's name is certainly blackened. Will it play a role if a Fordham student comes by my desk for a callback? Probably not, but that student better not give off an air of entitlement.
At the end of the day, though, that's what matters.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:08 pm

teaadntoast wrote:
3rdYrLitigator wrote: If I had the pull, I'd say maybe my firm should pull out of Fordham for the next 5 years as well. Sure, there are many talented lawyers who come out of Fordham every year, but it's not like a firm needs students from any school every year. So, in my eyes, Fordham's name is certainly blackened. Will it play a role if a Fordham student comes by my desk for a callback? Probably not, but that student better not give off an air of entitlement.
At the end of the day, though, that's what matters.
i'm pretty sure banning the firm from OCI for 5 years is what matters

neskerdoo

Silver

Post by neskerdoo » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:44 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Treanor

which one of you Fordham 1Ls threw this together?!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:47 am

edit nm
Last edited by thesealocust on Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:59 am

Like the law deans of Harvard (which built a state-of-the-art law student gym, limited class size to 80 students, and mandated individualized written feedback for every student in every course throughout the semester), and Yale (which abandoned the traditional law school grading system, does not rank its students, and has only one semester of required classes), Treanor has attempted to address the students' quality of life.
Obvious attempt to represent Fordham as a peer school of Harvard and Yale by including totally unrelated information about those schools. Fordham and Boston College should do battle for the title of "Most Obnoxious T-14 Consolation School." The BC students could assault Fordham Tower. Treanor looks like he could be a wizard, anyway.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rondemarino

Silver

Post by rondemarino » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:02 pm

danquayle wrote:
Like the law deans of Harvard (which built a state-of-the-art law student gym, limited class size to 80 students, and mandated individualized written feedback for every student in every course throughout the semester), and Yale (which abandoned the traditional law school grading system, does not rank its students, and has only one semester of required classes), Treanor has attempted to address the students' quality of life.
Obvious attempt to represent Fordham as a peer school of Harvard and Yale by including totally unrelated information about those schools. Fordham and Boston College should do battle for the title of "Most Obnoxious T-14 Consolation School." The BC students could assault Fordham Tower. Treanor looks like he could be a wizard, anyway.
Yeah ... I don't think Fordham and BC students are under any illusions. Plus, I think BC students' inferiority complex is more the result of BU being recognized as the better school now.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:58 pm

edit: n/m

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:38 pm

RSW wrote:What's the latest on this?

Is Reed Smith welcome back at Fordham next year? Do they want to go back?

[deleted spam]
What the hell is this website? Reed Smith Watchdog? Sounds more like Reed Smith Bashing.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”