Fordham Makes Reed Smith Pay a Price! Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
neskerdoo

Silver

Re: Fordham Makes Reed Smith Pay a Price!

Post by neskerdoo » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:30 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
I admire Dean Treanor's courage. Fordham was always the underdog of NYC, and now my school is standing up for itself.

hmmmm....

rondemarino

Silver

Post by rondemarino » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:30 pm

Since everyone keeps citing NLJ 250 placement, does anyone know how stable that list was over the last 4-5 years. It seemed like everyone was merging with everyone, at least in CA.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:31 pm

Am I the only one that thinks that this is a lose-lose situation. Reed Smith looks really bad here, but I think Fordham also did themselves a disservice.

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:34 pm

Dwaterman86 wrote:Am I the only one that thinks that this is a lose-lose situation. Reed Smith looks really bad here, but I think Fordham also did themselves a disservice.
I agree. I think this one of those things that looks great in the abstract, but ends up poorly in action. Like if everybody hates a teacher, all the students will cheer if somebody socks that teacher. But nobody, NOBODY, wants to be the student who does it.

I'm not saying Fordham is wrong in the abstract, I just wouldn't be particularly happy if I were a Fordham student. I have a feeling 1Ls and 2Ls are a lot less happy about this than OLs.

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:35 pm

My feelings, summarized:

[Marcellus is telling Butch to take a dive]
Marsellus: The night of the fight, you may feel a slight sting. That's pride fucking with you. Fuck pride. Pride only hurts, it never helps.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rondemarino

Silver

Post by rondemarino » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:35 pm

thesealocust wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote: Historically, we've placed top third out to 40%.
And while my opinion is not worth anything, I'm not among the 'top 5% LR at yaal only!' doomsayer crowd, my guess is it will dip back to top-third-ish this year but be able to recover with the economy.

I also think this email is a bit of a tempest in a teapot whichever side you are on. Law students / lawyers just love to gossip and judge :mrgreen:
LOL. I think a more effective course of action would have been for schools to band together and come up with a certain standard regarding legal employers (better notice, hiring intentions w.r.t summer class, etc...). Granted in a lot cases firms don't know what they plan to do until about when they do it, but you'd surprised how many firms are pulling crap like this because they know they can get away with it ITE.

Meh. I guess there is no real solution in this situation. Getting crapped on by law firms even before you start working for them seems to be the new trend.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:38 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

teaadntoast

Bronze

Post by teaadntoast » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:40 pm

rondemarino wrote: LOL. I think a more effective course of action would have been for schools to band together and come up with a certain standard regarding legal employers (better notice, hiring intentions w.r.t summer class, etc...).
Agreed.

Then again, I'm not entirely sure how schools would have gone about that for this season, since no one was really sure at the beginning of the year how firms were going to react. I'm also not sure how you'd balance the competing interests of schools with very different class sizes and overall placement rates.

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:44 pm

teaadntoast wrote:
rondemarino wrote: LOL. I think a more effective course of action would have been for schools to band together and come up with a certain standard regarding legal employers (better notice, hiring intentions w.r.t summer class, etc...).
Agreed.

Then again, I'm not entirely sure how schools would have gone about that for this season, since no one was really sure at the beginning of the year how firms were going to react. I'm also not sure how you'd balance the competing interests of schools with very different class sizes and overall placement rates.
I agree. That is the only recourse law schools have. The supply is just far too great for the demand, otherwise.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rondemarino

Silver

Post by rondemarino » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:46 pm

thesealocust wrote:
rondemarino wrote:Since everyone keeps citing NLJ 250 placement, does anyone know how stable that list was over the last 4-5 years. It seemed like everyone was merging with everyone, at least in CA.
Interesting point. That would mean older NLJ 250 placement data would likely hurt CA schools more than more recent NLJ 250 placement data, no?
Yup. Notice that EVERY California school places well below its respective peers (in 2006)

Stanford v. Columbia, Chicago, Harvard
Boalt v. Michigan, Virginia, Penn
UCLA/USC v. Georgetown, Texas, Cornell (although people may quibble about this)

rondemarino

Silver

Post by rondemarino » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:49 pm

teaadntoast wrote:
Agreed.

You probably don't need this. Just a stronger mechanism (stronger than ATL) for shaming employers might suffice.

Maybe a central database run by law schools for students get the skinny on employers before OCI? I'd sure like to know which other employers to avoid besides Fish & Richardson.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:51 pm

Off topic: I just noticed this anonymous post feature. Is this something new?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Off topic: I just noticed this anonymous post feature. Is this something new?
As of yesterday.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:52 pm

dont answer your own questions

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:53 pm

Using the anonymous feature to post things "off topic" will get this feature removed for you. Be forewarned.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:53 pm

Wow, OK, I just noticed this was on a new forum. The feature is a great idea.

- The first Anonymous User

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:58 pm

I think this is a retarded move by Fordham. Is what Reed Smith did shitty? I don't know. It depends when they knew, I suppose. But Reed Smith is going to do what's best for the firm, and who cares about the fallout to law schools. Would I be personally upset -- maybe, but why waste an interview on students they're not going to hire in this economy. It's a buyer's market.

What Fordham doesn't want to do is make beef with employers right now and that's exactly what they've done. Reed Smith, nor any other firm, needs Fordham. They'll all go somewhere else. News flash: there are a lot of law schools. Even intimating that any firm needs any one law school is simply retarded. If you really believe this, you really -- REALLY -- need a reality check.

And even if they don't come to OCI, Fordham grads could probably still apply. So all they've done is made is getting an interview with Reed Smith a pain in the ass for Fordham students. Good job, Dean assface.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MrOrange

Bronze

Post by MrOrange » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:02 pm

PKSebben wrote:I think this is a retarded move by Fordham. Is what Reed Smith did shitty? I don't know. It depends when they knew, I suppose. But Reed Smith is going to do what's best for the firm, and who cares about the fallout to law schools. Would I be personally upset -- maybe, but why waste an interview on students they're not going to hire in this economy. It's a buyer's market.

What Fordham doesn't want to do is make beef with employers right now and that's exactly what they've done. Reed Smith, nor any other firm, needs Fordham. They'll all go somewhere else. News flash: there are a lot of law schools. Even intimating that any firm needs any one law school is simply retarded. If you really believe this, you really -- REALLY -- need a reality check.

And even if they don't come to OCI, Fordham grads could probably still apply. So all they've done is make it a pain in the ass for Fordham students. Good job, Dean assface.
/thread.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:23 pm

MrOrange wrote:
PKSebben wrote:I think this is a retarded move by Fordham. Is what Reed Smith did shitty? I don't know. It depends when they knew, I suppose. But Reed Smith is going to do what's best for the firm, and who cares about the fallout to law schools. Would I be personally upset -- maybe, but why waste an interview on students they're not going to hire in this economy. It's a buyer's market.

And even if they don't come to OCI, Fordham grads could probably still apply. So all they've done is make it a pain in the ass for Fordham students. Good job, Dean assface.
/thread.
83.2% of ATL readers disagree, apparently. My opinions have been noted already.

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:26 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
MrOrange wrote:

/thread.
83.2% of ATL readers disagree, apparently. My opinions have been noted already.
83.2% of ATL readers also think Kash has a nice asslobster. So, take that for what it's worth.

philip.platt

New

Post by philip.platt » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:27 pm

rondemarino wrote:After garbage like this (LinkRemoved), I applaud Dean Treanor for lighting a firecracker up Reed Smith's ass.
thats awesome

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:30 pm

I agree with PK. In this economy, Fordham should be BEGGING firms to come. If not this year, then come back the next.

I don't care how many ATL readers agree or not.

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:37 pm

nitsudrx wrote:I agree with PK. In this economy, Fordham should be BEGGING firms to come. If not this year, then come back the next.

I don't care how many ATL readers agree or not.
I think ATL readers feel that way because most of them are either pre-law or early in law school. It's ludicrous for me that an 0L would call a law firm that pays 6 figures 'trash.' Tell me that 3 years from now when you're scrapping to get a job with the Albany Public Defender's office.

Seriously, if you're looking for a job your 3L year, do you really think you're going to give a law firm that pays 6 figures the cold shoulder just because they were rude 3 years ago?

And Mr. O was right, Pk closed the thread.

gobucks101

Gold

Post by gobucks101 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:45 pm

Responses should go like this...
Person not going to Fordham: Nice! Way to go Fordham!
Person going to Fordham: What the hell? Ego won't make me get off this ramen noodle diet and pay my rent!

Hitachi

Bronze

Post by Hitachi » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:03 pm

rondemarino wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
rondemarino wrote:Since everyone keeps citing NLJ 250 placement, does anyone know how stable that list was over the last 4-5 years. It seemed like everyone was merging with everyone, at least in CA.
Interesting point. That would mean older NLJ 250 placement data would likely hurt CA schools more than more recent NLJ 250 placement data, no?
Yup. Notice that EVERY California school places well below its respective peers (in 2006)

Stanford v. Columbia, Chicago, Harvard
Boalt v. Michigan, Virginia, Penn
UCLA/USC v. Georgetown, Texas, Cornell (although people may quibble about this)
I am guessing that this has more to do with the fact that it's self-reported data, and almost every New York office reported, while most CA offices (being smaller) did not.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”