Fordham Makes Reed Smith Pay a Price!

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
rondemarino
Posts: 529
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:29 am

Fordham Makes Reed Smith Pay a Price!

Postby rondemarino » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:45 pm

After garbage like this (LinkRemoved), I applaud Dean Treanor for lighting a firecracker up Reed Smith's ass.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273108
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Fordham Makes Reed Smith Pay a Price!

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:48 pm

oh snaaap

User avatar
rondemarino
Posts: 529
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:29 am

Re: Fordham Makes Reed Smith Pay a Price!

Postby rondemarino » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:58 pm

I like it. Dean Treanor getting mad props on ATL.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273108
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Fordham Makes Reed Smith Pay a Price!

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:03 pm

This harms Fordham students more than it harms Reed Smith. Fordham is not in a position to be banning firms. Fordham is not Harvard Law.

User avatar
badlydrawn
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:11 am

Re: Fordham Makes Reed Smith Pay a Price!

Postby badlydrawn » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:05 pm

Reed Smith: We don't want Fordham students.

Fordham: As a punishment, you cannot have Fordham students.

User avatar
rondemarino
Posts: 529
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:29 am

Re: Fordham Makes Reed Smith Pay a Price!

Postby rondemarino » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:10 pm

badlydrawn wrote:
Reed Smith: We don't want Fordham students.

Fordham: As a punishment, you cannot have Fordham students.


Funny, and true for this year, maybe a couple more. Hopefully a couple of other law schools do this and then these bozos will take students a little more seriously.

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: Fordham Makes Reed Smith Pay a Price!

Postby OperaSoprano » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:12 pm

That is the coolest thing I have ever, ever heard of. I already worshipped Dean Treanor; now I'm at a loss for words. Yeah!

To quote one of the comments on ATL:

"This is a case of the ugly girl thinking she's pretty because all the other girls are away at cheerleading camp.

RS is a hastily merged group of craptastic regional firms and a repository for undistinguished graduates of regional law schools.

In any other year, they'd be tripping over themselves to get a T2 grad, let alone anyone from FU. The market's temporarily dried up, and now fugly thinks that it's the new beautiful.

Wrong and wrong. Good job by FU's Dean."

User avatar
rondemarino
Posts: 529
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:29 am

Re: Fordham Makes Reed Smith Pay a Price!

Postby rondemarino » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:14 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:That is the coolest thing I have ever, ever heard of. I already worshipped Dean Treanor; now I'm at a loss for words. Yeah!

To quote one of the comments on ATL:

"This is a case of the ugly girl thinking she's pretty because all the other girls are away at cheerleading camp.

RS is a hastily merged group of craptastic regional firms and a repository for undistinguished graduates of regional law schools.

In any other year, they'd be tripping over themselves to get a T2 grad, let alone anyone from FU. The market's temporarily dried up, and now fugly thinks that it's the new beautiful.

Wrong and wrong. Good job by FU's Dean."


LOL

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: Fordham Makes Reed Smith Pay a Price!

Postby OperaSoprano » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This harms Fordham students more than it harms Reed Smith. Fordham is not in a position to be banning firms. Fordham is not Harvard Law.


It's a matter of honor. Some people still believe in it.

And the bad PR will absolutely harm Reed Smith. This isn't really about getting Fordham students at all. It's about letting the legal community know the firm tried to screw students over.

User avatar
steve_nash
Posts: 256
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:35 pm

Re: Fordham Makes Reed Smith Pay a Price!

Postby steve_nash » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:24 pm

.
Last edited by steve_nash on Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigben
Posts: 703
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Fordham Makes Reed Smith Pay a Price!

Postby bigben » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:24 pm

I liked this ATL comment:

For the first time in my life I'm proud of my country . . .I mean law school.

Mama Obama

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8441
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: Fordham Makes Reed Smith Pay a Price!

Postby thesealocust » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:38 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
MrOrange
Posts: 200
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:54 pm

Re: Fordham Makes Reed Smith Pay a Price!

Postby MrOrange » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:45 pm

thesealocust wrote:But sending out a mass email that was sure to get plastered all over TLS and ATL and XOXO in about 36 seconds strikes me as also pretty unprofessional. It seems like even if this was his response, proselytizing about it will probably hurt Fordham in the eyes of, oh I don't know, legal employers.

Throngs of law students cheer as throngs of law firms look elsewhere to hire...

This.

The students don't matter...the employers do. Why deal with a school that's going to potentially show you up publicly if you do something the school doesn't like.

User avatar
Corsair
Posts: 3997
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 1981 12:25 am

Re: Fordham Makes Reed Smith Pay a Price!

Postby Corsair » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:47 pm

..

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: Fordham Makes Reed Smith Pay a Price!

Postby OperaSoprano » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:49 pm

thesealocust wrote:But sending out a mass email that was sure to get plastered all over TLS and ATL and XOXO in about 36 seconds strikes me as also pretty unprofessional. It seems like even if this was his response, proselytizing about it will probably hurt Fordham in the eyes of, oh I don't know, legal employers.

Throngs of law students cheer as throngs of law firms look elsewhere to hire...


Au contraire; this shows the legal community that Fordham has a backbone. I'm seriously proud of my school for doing this, and it's actually excellent publicity for Fordham. Aren't we all talking about the school right now? I did a ton of PR for my previous employers, and this is golden. NYC firms full of FLS alums are not going to suddenly stop interviewing here.

User avatar
rondemarino
Posts: 529
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:29 am

Re: Fordham Makes Reed Smith Pay a Price!

Postby rondemarino » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:51 pm

MrOrange wrote:
thesealocust wrote:But sending out a mass email that was sure to get plastered all over TLS and ATL and XOXO in about 36 seconds strikes me as also pretty unprofessional. It seems like even if this was his response, proselytizing about it will probably hurt Fordham in the eyes of, oh I don't know, legal employers.

Throngs of law students cheer as throngs of law firms look elsewhere to hire...

This.

The students don't matter...the employers do. Why deal with a school that's going to potentially show you up publicly if you do something the school doesn't like.


Sadly, a valid point.

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: Fordham Makes Reed Smith Pay a Price!

Postby OperaSoprano » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:51 pm

Corsair wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:This harms Fordham students more than it harms Reed Smith. Fordham is not in a position to be banning firms. Fordham is not Harvard Law.


It's a matter of honor. Some people still believe in it.

And the bad PR will absolutely harm Reed Smith. This isn't really about getting Fordham students at all. It's about letting the legal community know the firm tried to screw students over.


What would you have rather had the firm do? Go through the charade of interviewing people and just not give any call backs?


They should have made this decision before the very last minute. From ATL:

Law firms are certainly entitled to pick which schools they want to interview at. But, as a matter of basic professional courtesy and respect, they should make those decisions as early in the process as possible. When a law firm withdraws from the fall recruiting process at a given school at the eleventh hour, it causes great inconvenience to law students and schools.

revolution724
Posts: 255
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:16 am

Re: Fordham Makes Reed Smith Pay a Price!

Postby revolution724 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:52 pm

Corsair wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:This harms Fordham students more than it harms Reed Smith. Fordham is not in a position to be banning firms. Fordham is not Harvard Law.


It's a matter of honor. Some people still believe in it.

And the bad PR will absolutely harm Reed Smith. This isn't really about getting Fordham students at all. It's about letting the legal community know the firm tried to screw students over.


What would you have rather had the firm do? Go through the charade of interviewing people and just not give any call backs?


No, get their calculations done a few weeks earlier and realize that they didn't want to come sometime before 10 minutes after the last minute.

User avatar
Mr. Matlock
Posts: 1360
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:36 pm

Re: Fordham Makes Reed Smith Pay a Price!

Postby Mr. Matlock » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:53 pm

thesealocust wrote:But sending out a mass email that was sure to get plastered all over TLS and ATL and XOXO in about 36 seconds strikes me as also pretty unprofessional. It seems like even if this was his response, proselytizing about it will probably hurt Fordham in the eyes of, oh I don't know, legal employers.

Throngs of law students cheer as throngs of law firms look elsewhere to hire...


Firms like this rely heavily on schools in Fordham's tier. Harvard, Yale, and Stanford grads aren't banging at their door for offers.

They fucked up and should be held accountable. Now the world knows. Prestige is everything in law, and Reed just lost a little more today.

User avatar
Corsair
Posts: 3997
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 1981 12:25 am

Re: Fordham Makes Reed Smith Pay a Price!

Postby Corsair » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:57 pm

..

Anonymous User
Posts: 273108
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Fordham Makes Reed Smith Pay a Price!

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:59 pm

Corsair wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:They should have made this decision before the very last minute.


I am pretty sure Reed Smith does not have a time machine. So given that going back in time to inform Fordham in the past is not an option, when they finally realized that they would have a much smaller class than originally intended (I expect this is what is really driving it), and they expected to fill that class entirely from hire ranked schools, what should they have done?


go through the motions of interviewing without giving any callbacks? at least by playing charades, the students feel like they have some fighting chance.

User avatar
steve_nash
Posts: 256
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:35 pm

Re: Fordham Makes Reed Smith Pay a Price!

Postby steve_nash » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:59 pm

.
Last edited by steve_nash on Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
neskerdoo
Posts: 599
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:13 am

Re: Fordham Makes Reed Smith Pay a Price!

Postby neskerdoo » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:04 pm

I had three interviews pull out between the time that schedules came out and the time of the job fair... I am really happy that my school did not react this way when that happened...

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8441
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: Fordham Makes Reed Smith Pay a Price!

Postby thesealocust » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:04 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark71121
Posts: 132
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:39 pm

Re: Fordham Makes Reed Smith Pay a Price!

Postby Mark71121 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:05 pm

ouch. glad i don't go to fordham. dean is a retard.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.