OCI callbacks thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
spanktheduck

Bronze

Re: OCI callbacks thread

Post by spanktheduck » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:15 am

Hitachi wrote:Nope, 2012 should be considerably better even if the economy is just as bad - they won't have nearly the deferral problem, or nearly as big a class behind them. 2012 might even be pretty good, if there is any economic improvement, since firms were very cautious this year. It's not like the legal market is much smaller than it used to be, it's just that for new hiring, the change in size is more important than the stock size, to a large degree.
If the economy is just as bad, then I don't think there is a need for substantially more people are many firms. It seems as if there are many firms that still don't have enough work for anyone. 2012 probably won't be as bad as 2011 but baring a complete economic reversal I imagine it won't be very good. The legal market at biglaw levels is a lot smaller than it used to be. The reason why firms laid off so many people was b/c there was NO work. Some work has come back at some firms but I don't think this is the case everywhere.

Mr. T6

Bronze

Post by Mr. T6 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:47 pm

Hitachi wrote:Nope, 2012 should be considerably better even if the economy is just as bad - they won't have nearly the deferral problem, or nearly as big a class behind them. 2012 might even be pretty good, if there is any economic improvement, since firms were very cautious this year. It's not like the legal market is much smaller than it used to be, it's just that for new hiring, the change in size is more important than the stock size, to a large degree.
It is MUCH smaller than it used to be, genius. For instance, some types of securitization will never return. Try talking about things you actually understand next time.

jchoggan

New

Post by jchoggan » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:43 pm

Is anyone still going on CB interviews, or is everything done? I heard a few folks from GULC were still doing interviews, and a bunch of offers/dings were still pending. Is this accurate for any other schools? Seems like a long-ass process.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:08 pm

I received a call from a recruiter at Littler Mendelson the other day, who was calling to see if I would be interested in an interview (I blanketed them back in August). I turned them down since I already accepted an offer months ago... but that goes to show that some firms in some offices are still looking for summers.

toaster2

New

Post by toaster2 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:11 pm

Last edited by toaster2 on Tue May 25, 2010 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

IStillPlayVideoGames

New

Post by IStillPlayVideoGames » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:17 pm

I know first hand that some people at Iowa and Illinois are still getting callbacks.

That seems weird to me. It's December, cut that shit out.

Hitachi

Bronze

Post by Hitachi » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:59 pm

There are 14% more lawyers at NLJ 250 firms now than in 2004, when the market was good, even after the large reductions of this year. No doubt firms are carrying more dead weight now, but there's no way the market is significantly smaller now. Sure, some types of securitization may become less prominent, but others will arise, and legal work is incredibly diverse.

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:23 am

IStillPlayVideoGames wrote:I know first hand that some people at Iowa and Illinois are still getting callbacks.

:roll:
Last edited by underdawg on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neskerdoo

Silver

Post by neskerdoo » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:39 am

underdawg wrote:
IStillPlayVideoGames wrote:I know first hand that some people at Iowa and Illinois are still getting callbacks.

:roll:

yeah, what the hell was that?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

IStillPlayVideoGames

New

Post by IStillPlayVideoGames » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:59 pm

jchoggan wrote:Is anyone still going on CB interviews, or is everything done? I heard a few folks from GULC were still doing interviews, and a bunch of offers/dings were still pending. Is this accurate for any other schools? Seems like a long-ass process.

I was responding to that.

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:06 am

i think they'd have a longer process than not get a job

though yeah, it's kinda mean to do this during finals. but what did you expect?
Last edited by underdawg on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jchoggan

New

Post by jchoggan » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:56 pm

Encouraging anecdote - A 2L friend of mine at GULC landed 4 callbacks and (at least) one offer at V25 firms in DC, with slightly-above-median grades and no journal/moot court experience. He had some good job experience and a good personality, which apparently trumped the average grades. I guess there's hope after all...

Any more encouraging stories lingering out there?

democrattotheend

Bronze

Post by democrattotheend » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:15 am

I know it's been a while, but anyone care to update this with final stats for a 0L still trying to decide where to go?

If anyone struck out at OCI, I am curious whether you ended up finding something else for the summer.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thedogship

Bronze

Post by thedogship » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:43 pm

democrattotheend wrote:I know it's been a while, but anyone care to update this with final stats for a noel still trying to decide where to go?

If anyone struck out at OCI, I am curious whether you ended up finding something else for the summer.

I know a number of kids at my school (Gtown) that got offers in the "second wave" of recruiting the happened in like December/January. There were a number of firms that had frozen their recruiting for the fall, but then decided to recruit from a few schools, and it was actually some very reputable firms (Orrick comes to mind, forgetting the others), and kids that got iced out in the fall OCI process actually got interviews and some got offers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:04 am

thedogship wrote:
democrattotheend wrote:I know it's been a while, but anyone care to update this with final stats for a noel still trying to decide where to go?

I know a number of kids at my school (Gtown) that got offers in the "second wave" of recruiting the happened in like December/January. There were a number of firms that had frozen their recruiting for the fall, but then decided to recruit from a few schools, and it was actually some very reputable firms (Orrick comes to mind, forgetting the others), and kids that got iced out in the fall OCI process actually got interviews and some got offers.
Proskauer (and a few others) came back again in the past two months for USC kids

BunkMoreland

Bronze

Post by BunkMoreland » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:19 pm

bump?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:30 pm

Just got dinged from Sullivan and Cromwell!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

1ferret!

Bronze

Post by 1ferret! » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got dinged from Sullivan and Cromwell!
Without context, I will assume this ding was dished out on a median student at Cooley.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:59 pm

1ferret! wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just got dinged from Sullivan and Cromwell!
Without context, I will assume this ding was dished out on a median student at Cooley.
Nope, good grades at a T-10. It was just a bad interview.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:28 pm

Isn't this thread a little early? Who has already gone through their first round of OCI?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:37 pm

I've had 7 interviews, 2 callbacks thus far. AFAIK, OCI is underway

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:44 pm

Guess I didn't realize how late Duke's OCI starts. Our first round is not until next week.

Thank God for PLIP.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:49 pm

SullCrom callback today. Thunderdome stlye: they told everyone they were interviewing the callback would come tonight by 6:15 and would come with a dinner invitation. It made for an extremely awkward evening for those interviewing with the firm. Looking around the room at dinner + speaking with people it was pretty clear you needed stellar grades and to pass their stress-test interview. Be forewarned is S&C is interviewing you later on.

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:SullCrom callback today. Thunderdome stlye: they told everyone they were interviewing the callback would come tonight by 6:15 and would come with a dinner invitation. It made for an extremely awkward evening for those interviewing with the firm. Looking around the room at dinner + speaking with people it was pretty clear you needed stellar grades and to pass their stress-test interview. Be forewarned is S&C is interviewing you later on.
stress test interview? Any examples?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:10 am

got notice of a Latham CB today

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”