OCI callbacks thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: OCI callbacks thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:18 am

I received an offer from my top choice out of my callbacks this past Friday, and fully intend to accept this offer.

I haven't heard from two firms that I've had callbacks with, one was a while ago and the other firm indicated that they were going to let me know this upcoming week. I am planning on accepting the offer tomorrow or Monday, but I was wondering if there is any reason I ought to wait for the other firm to let me know?

Also, should I send an email or call the other firm and let them know I have accepted another offer prior to them letting me know?

johnadams

Postby johnadams » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:22 am

if you accept one offer, you should definitely call the others and let them know you've accepted another offer and are no longer interested. be nice, thank them -- they'll understand. your classmates will appreciate this, as well.

congrats on the top choice offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:30 am

anyone who had a call-back with Kirkland Ellis LA hear back from them yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:31 am

johnadams wrote:if you accept one offer, you should definitely call the others and let them know you've accepted another offer and are no longer interested. be nice, thank them -- they'll understand. your classmates will appreciate this, as well.

congrats on the top choice offer.

I'm assuming that I should just contact the recruiting coordinator?

Also, what is typical protocol for accepting offers? I received the offer from a partner, and I was planning on emailing the partner and indicating that I am accepting the offer. Is this correct, or should I call the recruiting coordinator?

For declining an offer, I was planning on calling the recruiting director on Monday. Is email better for this considering I don't have an offer (I was thinking a call would be more appropriate)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:19 am

If you haven't received decision, I'd just call recruiting.

If you've received an offer, you should either call or in writing/e-mail contact the person who gave you the offer to accept. To decline, call them and thank them.

Then, follow up with writing/e-mail (phrased as thank you again, blah blah, regardless of the outcome).

Basically, I wouldn't decline via e-mail. They were very generous in giving you an offer ITE. The least you could do is call them. Same holds for accepting an offer, I think. It's professional to give your decision via call then follow up with them.

johnadams

Postby johnadams » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:46 am

above post was me -- didn't mean for it to be anon.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:17 am

BradyToMoss wrote:
RATRATRAT wrote:I've never heard of an over the phone rejection like that (not that it is impossible), so I would say preemptive congratulations are in order.

Over the phone rejections have happened in past years, and are happening this year. No message is also a pretty bad sign, IMO.

Hopefully the OP is off enjoying the weekend and not engaging it too much speculation.

I have had a "call me" message and it was an offer, so I would not jump to "bad sign" conclusions. I don't know anyone who has gotten a rejection phone call (not that I doubt that are happening), but it seems to me that if one were going to reject someone over the phone and got their voice mail, they would just leave a polite, prescripted message, rather than force the live contact. I don't think most people seek out being the bearers of bad news and, speaking on the side of having had to call firms to decline CBs, I much preferred when I would get voice mail and not have had to engage in potentially awkward conversations. I assume that HR folks and Partners are similarly human. People usually like to deliver good news in person. It is also easier to start putting the "sell" on live, than leave the message on the phone --- unlike delivering bad news, you want be able to answer questions and gauge response.

It's good to be prepared for the worst, but I really think that it will be good news.

BradyToMoss

Postby BradyToMoss » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you haven't received decision, I'd just call recruiting.

If you've received an offer, you should either call or in writing/e-mail contact the person who gave you the offer to accept. To decline, call them and thank them.

Then, follow up with writing/e-mail (phrased as thank you again, blah blah, regardless of the outcome).

Basically, I wouldn't decline via e-mail. They were very generous in giving you an offer ITE. The least you could do is call them. Same holds for accepting an offer, I think. It's professional to give your decision via call then follow up with them.

Believe me, generosity had nothing to do with the offer. They gave OP the offer because he earned it, and they believed that bringing him/her in would financially benefit the firm. I still agree with calling them, but to say "they were very generous" is flat out wrong.

johnadams

Postby johnadams » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:40 pm

deleted -- no need to argue over this
Last edited by johnadams on Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hitachi

Postby Hitachi » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:49 pm

True, capitalism ensures efficient outcomes, so in a sense it is inherently perfect morality. I always send Walmart a thank-you note when it sends me my weekly paycheck.

klpps

Postby klpps » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:53 pm

BradyToMoss wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If you haven't received decision, I'd just call recruiting.

Believe me, generosity had nothing to do with the offer. They gave OP the offer because he earned it, and they believed that bringing him/her in would financially benefit the firm. I still agree with calling them, but to say "they were very generous" is flat out wrong.

Clearly the poster didn't mean generous as in "this guy is worthless so we want to be nice and give him an offer." Of course he earned it and of course it is a mutually beneficial deal. All this post did was stir flame.

transferguy

Postby transferguy » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:17 pm

klpps wrote:
BradyToMoss wrote:

Clearly the poster didn't mean generous as in "this guy is worthless so we want to be nice and give him an offer." Of course he earned it and of course it is a mutually beneficial deal. All this post did was stir flame.

Agreed. That was a pretty ridiculous post.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:
BradyToMoss wrote:
RATRATRAT wrote:I've never heard of an over the phone rejection like that (not that it is impossible), so I would say preemptive congratulations are in order.

Over the phone rejections have happened in past years, and are happening this year. No message is also a pretty bad sign, IMO.

Hopefully the OP is off enjoying the weekend and not engaging it too much speculation.

I have had a "call me" message and it was an offer, so I would not jump to "bad sign" conclusions. I don't know anyone who has gotten a rejection phone call (not that I doubt that are happening), but it seems to me that if one were going to reject someone over the phone and got their voice mail, they would just leave a polite, prescripted message, rather than force the live contact. I don't think most people seek out being the bearers of bad news and, speaking on the side of having had to call firms to decline CBs, I much preferred when I would get voice mail and not have had to engage in potentially awkward conversations. I assume that HR folks and Partners are similarly human. People usually like to deliver good news in person. It is also easier to start putting the "sell" on live, than leave the message on the phone --- unlike delivering bad news, you want be able to answer questions and gauge response.

It's good to be prepared for the worst, but I really think that it will be good news.

OP here - it was good news after all!!

Merrill

Postby Merrill » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
BradyToMoss wrote:

Yay!! Congrats! Feel like sharing market and/or firm?

I think it's highly unlikely that firms will be rejecting via phone this year, especially since the callback-offer ratio seems to be dropping precipitously. That's a lot more rejections, so even more time-consuming if done via phone.

BradyToMoss

Postby BradyToMoss » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
BradyToMoss wrote:

Nice work, congrats.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:10 pm

FWIW, a lot of my classmates have received calls from firms of the "We like you, everyone enjoyed meeting you, but we need more time before we can extend you an offer" variety. Generally, phone calls are good, but not always.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:FWIW, a lot of my classmates have received calls from firms of the "We like you, everyone enjoyed meeting you, but we need more time before we can extend you an offer" variety. Generally, phone calls are good, but not always.

Well, that's not a BAD phonecall to get. It means that you made it past the initial rejection letter phase, which I'm guessing goes out to at least half the interviewees.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:39 pm

Deleted.

gollymolly

Postby gollymolly » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:40 pm

My cycle has ended. I have the same weird excitement/let down that I did at the end of my law school application cycle.

So, posting my stuff in this thread for the last time:
Northwestern, top 5% or so.
Secondary journal, some work experience.
14 OCI interviews, all in California.
9 Callbacks, of which I accepted 8.
I've now received two offers and no dings. The ones I haven't heard from yet are: Ropes, Wilson Sonsini (but both gave me "we're still thinking" calls), Dechert, Goodwin, Jones Day, and Latham.

Both of the places that gave me offers interviewed me on Fridays and gave me offers on Monday. One gave me the full 45 days and the other sort of put the pressure on to decide right away, but that was okay because I knew I wanted to go there. Good luck everyone else with the rest of your interviews/decisions.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:T20, top 1/3, secondary journal
6 yrs work experience
passed patent bar but basically limited to litigation (only have non-engineering BS)

4 screening interviews (have had 3, one next wk)
2 CB (one at IP boutique)
0 dings so far

All firms in same city (secondary market)

Networking my ass off

Update- 3 CB, offer at IP boutique over a month after CB- notably for litigation (not prosecution)

FYI I called another firm where I had a CB 2 wks ago, told them I had an offer, they said they'd give me an answer (offer/reject) in 48 hrs.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:03 pm

T50, Top 2%, LR, Research Ass't, No WE

9 OCI interviews, 3 screening non OCI screening interviews
4 CB + 3 "straight to callback from resume collect" (only 3 CB dings...otherwise just nothing)
3 dings, 1 offer, waiting on other three

Likely going to accept the offer soon, unless one other firm calls me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

If you like one of the other firms better than the offer you have, it is perfectly acceptable to contact them and let them know that you have an offer and ask them where they are in their decision making process.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

If you like one of the other firms better than the offer you have, it is perfectly acceptable to contact them and let them know that you have an offer and ask them where they are in their decision making process.

You don't think the pressure on them may result in them dinging you? I'm in a similar situation and I'm tempted to just let my preferable firm continue to mull over their decisions instead of pressuring them to give me an answer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

You don't think the pressure on them may result in them dinging you? I'm in a similar situation and I'm tempted to just let my preferable firm continue to mull over their decisions instead of pressuring them to give me an answer.

I completely agree. If the firm is your #1 then go ahead and email the other firms you're waiting for. But otherwise, I'd ride it out as long as comfortably possible (your call). Friend of mine got dinged by his #1 today immediately after emailing them saying another firm (his #2) was pressing him for a decision.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:56 pm

I'm the "Likely going to accept the offer soon, unless one other firm calls me" person from earlier.

To clarify, the firm I would take I'm waiting to hear about a callback from a screening interview at the firm last Wed. Given the timeframe it's likely a ding, and I don't think it's appropriate to call about a callback. If I was waiting to hear on an offer I definitely would call.

Return to “Legal Employment”