OCI callbacks thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273363
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI callbacks thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone get a sense of whether an interviewer running way over time with you is a good sign?


It's no indication.


I disagree. While I would say that interviews running on time are not indicative of anything, interviews running long are a good sign. The more senior the person that lets an interview run long, the better. Of course you have some people who are just naturally chatty and throw schedules off, but generally speaking, senior partners are not going to run long with people they don't like. In talking about this issue with both attorneys I know but have not interviewed with, as well as attorneys I have interviewed with, there has been a general consensus that long running interviews are, more often than not, a positive reflection on a candidate. Of course, ITE a firm may like many more individuals than they have spots for. I would still say your odds move up if your interviews run long.

transferguy
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:19 pm

Re: OCI callbacks thread

Postby transferguy » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:35 pm

Agreed. I think it's a good thing as well.

User avatar
BradyToMoss
Posts: 259
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:00 pm

Re: OCI callbacks thread

Postby BradyToMoss » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:42 pm

I think it's a good thing if you thought the interview went well. That being said, I got dinged after a screening with 2 partners was supposed to be a half hour and lasted about 75 minutes. But, I got my ass kicked during the interview and didn't expect to receive a callback.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273363
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI callbacks thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:52 pm

Had a callback today. During the first interview, the guy started by pointing out that I was not on a journal (only 25% get on one) and then just staring blankly for literally 30 or so seconds. That led to a pretty awkward interview. Why that was an issue at a callback seems odd to me, especially coming from an associate.

The other two interviews went well, though, and they were with partners on the hiring committee. So, yeah...have no idea how to feel. By the numbers, I know I had an objectively decent (50+%) shot going in, but that was a real downer to start, especially considering this guy came from a T3.

User avatar
NewHere
Posts: 413
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:19 pm

Re: OCI callbacks thread

Postby NewHere » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:12 pm

During the first interview, the guy started by pointing out that I was not on a journal (only 25% get on one) and then just staring blankly for literally 30 or so seconds. That led to a pretty awkward interview. Why that was an issue at a callback seems odd to me, especially coming from an associate.


I think it's fair game during an interview to ask about this, even during a callback (i.e., after you've supposedly made the grade/resume cutoff). They aren't going to reject you based on the fact that you are not on a journal -- if they were going to, they wouldn't have invited you back -- but an interviewer may ask about it, and may gauge your suitability for employment based (in part) on what you answer. "I'm not on a journal, because I didn't feel like it." is not a good answer. "I'm not on a journal, because I'm doing moot court and I'm a board member of a student group" sounds much better.

Compare this with an interviewee who has grades that are on the lower end compared to the people the interviewing firm usually hires. The firm is not going to reject the person in the callback stage based on that alone, but they may want to drill a little deeper to see what the cause is of the lower grades, whether the candidate knows how to present them, etc.

klpps
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:09 pm

Re: OCI callbacks thread

Postby klpps » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone get a sense of whether an interviewer running way over time with you is a good sign?


It's no indication.


I think it could be a very good indication, especially if you went over because he wanted to know more about a certain instance. More face time is always a good thing.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273363
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI callbacks thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:25 am

NewHere wrote:
During the first interview, the guy started by pointing out that I was not on a journal (only 25% get on one) and then just staring blankly for literally 30 or so seconds. That led to a pretty awkward interview. Why that was an issue at a callback seems odd to me, especially coming from an associate.


I think it's fair game during an interview to ask about this, even during a callback (i.e., after you've supposedly made the grade/resume cutoff). They aren't going to reject you based on the fact that you are not on a journal -- if they were going to, they wouldn't have invited you back -- but an interviewer may ask about it, and may gauge your suitability for employment based (in part) on what you answer. "I'm not on a journal, because I didn't feel like it." is not a good answer. "I'm not on a journal, because I'm doing moot court and I'm a board member of a student group" sounds much better.

Compare this with an interviewee who has grades that are on the lower end compared to the people the interviewing firm usually hires. The firm is not going to reject the person in the callback stage based on that alone, but they may want to drill a little deeper to see what the cause is of the lower grades, whether the candidate knows how to present them, etc.


Say someone has bottom half grades but got a call back. What would be a good way to prepare for these questions? what's a good answer?

User avatar
BradyToMoss
Posts: 259
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:00 pm

Re: OCI callbacks thread

Postby BradyToMoss » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:
NewHere wrote:
During the first interview, the guy started by pointing out that I was not on a journal (only 25% get on one) and then just staring blankly for literally 30 or so seconds. That led to a pretty awkward interview. Why that was an issue at a callback seems odd to me, especially coming from an associate.


I think it's fair game during an interview to ask about this, even during a callback (i.e., after you've supposedly made the grade/resume cutoff). They aren't going to reject you based on the fact that you are not on a journal -- if they were going to, they wouldn't have invited you back -- but an interviewer may ask about it, and may gauge your suitability for employment based (in part) on what you answer. "I'm not on a journal, because I didn't feel like it." is not a good answer. "I'm not on a journal, because I'm doing moot court and I'm a board member of a student group" sounds much better.

Compare this with an interviewee who has grades that are on the lower end compared to the people the interviewing firm usually hires. The firm is not going to reject the person in the callback stage based on that alone, but they may want to drill a little deeper to see what the cause is of the lower grades, whether the candidate knows how to present them, etc.


Say someone has bottom half grades but got a call back. What would be a good way to prepare for these questions? what's a good answer?


If I had lower grades I would claim I had to work 50 hours/week to pay my way through law school.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273363
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI callbacks thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:30 am

BradyToMoss wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
NewHere wrote:
During the first interview, the guy started by pointing out that I was not on a journal (only 25% get on one) and then just staring blankly for literally 30 or so seconds. That led to a pretty awkward interview. Why that was an issue at a callback seems odd to me, especially coming from an associate.


I think it's fair game during an interview to ask about this, even during a callback (i.e., after you've supposedly made the grade/resume cutoff). They aren't going to reject you based on the fact that you are not on a journal -- if they were going to, they wouldn't have invited you back -- but an interviewer may ask about it, and may gauge your suitability for employment based (in part) on what you answer. "I'm not on a journal, because I didn't feel like it." is not a good answer. "I'm not on a journal, because I'm doing moot court and I'm a board member of a student group" sounds much better.

Compare this with an interviewee who has grades that are on the lower end compared to the people the interviewing firm usually hires. The firm is not going to reject the person in the callback stage based on that alone, but they may want to drill a little deeper to see what the cause is of the lower grades, whether the candidate knows how to present them, etc.


Say someone has bottom half grades but got a call back. What would be a good way to prepare for these questions? what's a good answer?


If I had lower grades I would claim I had to work 50 hours/week to pay my way through law school.


You mean you'd lie?

User avatar
NewHere
Posts: 413
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:19 pm

Re: OCI callbacks thread

Postby NewHere » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:27 am

Yeah, never lie of course.

Good answers depend on your circumstances. You could emphasize the classes where you did have good grades, and how you really liked those. If you have very special circumstances (health issues, someone died in your family) that's of course something you could reasonably bring up, but otherwise don't look for excuses. It sounds a lot more mature if you don't try to make excuses for mediocre grades.

What I meant by "drilling deeper" is also that an interviewer might want to find out if bad grades are a matter of poor exam skills or poor understanding. He or she might try to draw you into a discussion about a substantive law issue (e.g., by asking you about your 1L job, or by asking you about a class), to find out if you are able to talk competently about legal issues. If you can, then your grades won't work against you. (A person with great grades might not get such questions at the callback stage -- interviewers will be confident that the legal abilities of the person are fine and may focus more on personality, etc.)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273363
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI callbacks thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:54 am

I feel stupid asking this question, but here goes.

I took a summer class, and the grade was just released. My overall GPA rose a teeny bit--from 3.x42 to 3.x49.

I'm still waiting on firms after callbacks, and someone suggested I send the firms updated transcripts. Is the change in my GPA so miniscule that sending an updated transcript is silly? Also, I know that everything counts ITE, but if firms are hesitant about hiring me, it's probably not because my original GPA was too low--I don't think they're going to see my .007 increase and decide I'm smart enough for them after all.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273363
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI callbacks thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Say someone has bottom half grades but got a call back. What would be a good way to prepare for these questions? what's a good answer?


These sorts of questions are more about how you handle uncomfortable questions than really trying to get a substantive answer to them. The reality is that you are going to screw up A LOT as a junior associate. People want to see how you will handle that and asking about a shortcoming on your resume is a good way to test it. A good answer will:

1. Take responsibility for the shortcoming with out making excuses or trying to deflect.
2. Move on to the lessons you have taken away.

So, something to the effect of "Yes, my first year grades were quite below the expectations I set for myself and out of step with the performance I saw in undergraduate coursework. I believe that it was the result of (not adapting my study strategies quickly enough/learning a new way of writing that was completely different from what my previous course work prepared me for/not allocating my time properly between classes (this can be an effective one if you have some course you did very well in but maybe overstudied for or overcommitted to ECs)/etc.). This summer I really focused on re-evaluating the way I will approach course work and I also found that the experience I gained (explain something brief and relevant from your summer job) gave me a better perspective on how to (fill in shortcoming)." Of course in a conversational tone and not nearly as formal or rehearsed sounding :D
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Dick Whitman
Posts: 232
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:55 pm

Re: OCI callbacks thread

Postby Dick Whitman » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I feel stupid asking this question, but here goes.

I took a summer class, and the grade was just released. My overall GPA rose a teeny bit--from 3.x42 to 3.x49.

I'm still waiting on firms after callbacks, and someone suggested I send the firms updated transcripts. Is the change in my GPA so miniscule that sending an updated transcript is silly? Also, I know that everything counts ITE, but if firms are hesitant about hiring me, it's probably not because my original GPA was too low--I don't think they're going to see my .007 increase and decide I'm smart enough for them after all.


This is a good excuse to let firms know you are still interested in them. Do it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273363
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI callbacks thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:T14
3.67-4.0
Midwest/South
OCI: 4 callbacks, 7 dings, 1 pending
non-OCI: 3 screening interviews, 1 callback (w/out a screening interview), 9 dings, 9 pending

Midwest: 1-4 (callbacks-dings)
South: 4-12

AmLaw 50: 4-5
AmLaw 51-100: 0-3
non-AmLaw 100: 1-8

No word back on any of the office visits yet.


Updated.

User avatar
TTT-LS
Posts: 764
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:36 pm

Re: OCI callbacks thread

Postby TTT-LS » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:21 pm

.
Last edited by TTT-LS on Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273363
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI callbacks thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:39 pm

NewHere wrote:
During the first interview, the guy started by pointing out that I was not on a journal (only 25% get on one) and then just staring blankly for literally 30 or so seconds. That led to a pretty awkward interview. Why that was an issue at a callback seems odd to me, especially coming from an associate.


I think it's fair game during an interview to ask about this, even during a callback (i.e., after you've supposedly made the grade/resume cutoff). They aren't going to reject you based on the fact that you are not on a journal -- if they were going to, they wouldn't have invited you back -- but an interviewer may ask about it, and may gauge your suitability for employment based (in part) on what you answer. "I'm not on a journal, because I didn't feel like it." is not a good answer. "I'm not on a journal, because I'm doing moot court and I'm a board member of a student group" sounds much better.

Compare this with an interviewee who has grades that are on the lower end compared to the people the interviewing firm usually hires. The firm is not going to reject the person in the callback stage based on that alone, but they may want to drill a little deeper to see what the cause is of the lower grades, whether the candidate knows how to present them, etc.


I mean, only 25% of my people get on a journal at my school. It's not like some places where students basically can choose whether or not they want to be on. I didn't answer that I wasn't on a journal BECAUSE I was doing moot court, I said I wasn't on a journal and that I plan on doing Moot Court. I think saying "I'm not doing a journal BECAUSE I'm doing Moot Court" comes off as disingenuous, unless the GPA is really high and there was actually a choice involved.

As far as my grades go, she asked for my rank, and I gave it. I did significantly better in my second semester and maybe I should have brought that up, but that seems a bit whiny to me as well. I much prefer the "here are my grades and here is my rank" approach. "I plan on doing X in the future."

It was more than just this, though. He was a very awkward person.

If I had lower grades I would claim I had to work 50 hours/week to pay my way through law school.


If it is this big of a deal, then a firm shouldn't call back.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273363
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI callbacks thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:09 pm

T14
Top 15%
Moot Court, Secondary Journal

18 screening interviews.
11 rejects (from the screening)
4 callbacks
1 offer (v20)

probably "waitlisted" at 3 firms b/c I had a screening but no snail mail rejection yet.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273363
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI callbacks thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:T14
Top 15%
Moot Court, Secondary Journal

18 screening interviews.
11 rejects (from the screening)
4 callbacks
1 offer (v20)

probably "waitlisted" at 3 firms b/c I had a screening but no snail mail rejection yet.


how long ago was your OCI?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273363
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI callbacks thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:17 pm

I had a callback at my top choice two weeks ago and they said I'd probably know by Friday (as in yesterday). I missed a call from them around 5pm last night and they didn't leave a message!! Good news? Bad news? Anyone have any experience with this?

Everyone I've talked to seems to think it's probably good since it's unlikely they'd take the time to call to reject me...

User avatar
johnadams
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:54 pm

Re: OCI callbacks thread

Postby johnadams » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:52 pm

probably good news. i've gotten offers via voicemail only requesting a call back.

User avatar
RATRATRAT
Posts: 198
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:12 am

Re: OCI callbacks thread

Postby RATRATRAT » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:37 pm

I've never heard of an over the phone rejection like that (not that it is impossible), so I would say preemptive congratulations are in order.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273363
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI callbacks thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:how long ago was your OCI


More than three weeks ago.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273363
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI callbacks thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:51 pm

anyone have offers from winston & strawn sf?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273363
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI callbacks thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had a callback at my top choice two weeks ago and they said I'd probably know by Friday (as in yesterday). I missed a call from them around 5pm last night and they didn't leave a message!! Good news? Bad news? Anyone have any experience with this?

Everyone I've talked to seems to think it's probably good since it's unlikely they'd take the time to call to reject me...


Not to be a downer I'm skeptical only because they did not leave a message. I think if it was an offer they would have asked you to call back. A lot of firms in this economy are making phone call rejections, giving the "its not you its me" speech (referring to firm cut backs). But I sincerely wish you the best. I could be completely wrong and I really hope I am.

User avatar
BradyToMoss
Posts: 259
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:00 pm

Re: OCI callbacks thread

Postby BradyToMoss » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:13 pm

RATRATRAT wrote:I've never heard of an over the phone rejection like that (not that it is impossible), so I would say preemptive congratulations are in order.


Over the phone rejections have happened in past years, and are happening this year. No message is also a pretty bad sign, IMO.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.