OCI callbacks thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Georgiana

Re: OCI callbacks thread

Postby Georgiana » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Georgiana--I go to Penn and Ropes is my first choice. do you know what time they were calling?

I really don't have any clue :oops:

I was talking to a friend earlier who mentioned that calls were being made I would assume it was last night?

Sorry I was not more help. I must try to be a better remember-er :?

If I hear anything I will post back, I am not going back thru my contacts to try to figure out who this person was lol

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:43 pm

T10 top 20%
17 interviews
2 CB (1 secondary mkt)
4 rejects

Looking at what I've got left, the vast majority are really selective or too small to count on. Brutal.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:39 pm

Georgiana wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Georgiana--I go to Penn and Ropes is my first choice. do you know what time they were calling?

I was talking to a friend earlier who mentioned that calls were being made I would assume it was last night?

If I hear anything I will post back, I am not going back thru my contacts to try to figure out who this person was lol

Do you have any idea what office the callback was for? I assume that anything other than NYC might take a little longer since the interviewers were all from the NYC office.

ETA: Forgot to mention I heard someone got a Weil Boston call today.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:43 pm

reading this thread makes me want to throw my hands into the air and cry - just a bit.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:02 pm

T10
top 10%
law review
1/2 rejections
1/3 callbacks
rest: nothing
not great interviewee
major market

people in secondary markets seem to be faring better. so do people with better interview skills, though from what i can tell, market has more to do with it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:04 pm

21 interviews, DCNG top 1/3, elite interviewee, DC/NYC

9 CBs
1 rejection
rest are pending (but 2 pending firms gave CBs to others but not me)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:55 pm

DCNG
18 interviews, targeting NY
1 callback (V100; next day)
2 rejections (V50, V100; both next day)

Both rejections came from places where my GPA was higher than any grad they've recently hired from. One interview went poorly, but I thought the other went well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:10 pm

anyone get a callback for GDC yet? if so, were you a GDC-dinner invite?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:MVP
URM
19 interviews - NYC, Chicago + secondary market.
1 callback
3 dings
Waiting on the rest.

1 more callback.

Finally wrote everything down to keep track for myself.

3 callbacks
9 pending
5 rejections.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:top 25% at T10
22 interviews
2 callbacks
2 email dings (probably more coming since some firm CBs have gone out that i haven't gotten)
3 post-interview dinner/reception invites

i went to a GDC-invite dinner. i've heard before that dinner invite doesn't translate into a callback, and GDC is one of those firms where this is true. i've heard the dinner is a giant mind game. does anyone know about this? based on some of the conversation starters by the partners, i wouldn't be surprised if it's true. i didn't throw up my food or anything but did let a few bad (like, wtf did i say that?!) statements slip out. i was also exhausted after a long day of interviews...believe me i tried to put on a good face but i looked spaced out == bad impression. did i fuck up?

to an above anony: i know that no GDC-dinner nvite doesn't mean no callback.

this is me

now at 7 callbacks (all CA) and 5 rejections (all DC). no journal, nothing. i'm not an elite interviewee so i feel pretty lucky. didn't get a CB to an invite-only dinner while others have so i must have bombed a convo or something. probably fucked up the GDC dinner too since i've heard nada.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:37 pm

To the above with 7 cbs, what has been the range of time it has taken before you got the callbacks? and congrats on your good fortune

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Georgiana wrote:

Do you have any idea what office the callback was for? I assume that anything other than NYC might take a little longer since the interviewers were all from the NYC office.

ETA: Forgot to mention I heard someone got a Weil Boston call today.

I am pretty sure it was NYC since that is pretty much all I hear right now.

Thanks for the Weil tip, I'll add it to the list.

If you don't mind my knowing your internet identity feel free to PM me when you hear more so I can keep things pretty updated. I promise I won't try to figure out who you are :)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Keep it anonymous for now...

MVP school
~top 25%
Secondary Journal
Interviews: 6 Regional, 25 OCI
Callbacks: Haven't done interviews yet, will update later
Markets: LA and DC
Oh, and I am patent bar eligible but not focusing on patent firms

Me again!

Had my 6 regional interviews in LA Mon/Tues and got a callback today. Hopefully this is a good sign and more are on the way :)

2 dings today from the regional interviews, still silence on the OCI front.

Got a few more interviews though for OCI, puts the tally at 35 total interviews, 1 callback, 3 dings.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:To the above with 7 cbs, what has been the range of time it has taken before you got the callbacks? and congrats on your good fortune

it has ranged from 36 hours to 1 full week from the interview

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:So OCI at Vanderbilt started on Monday. I've had 3 interviews so far. I have not received a single question about my resume - not my summer job, 3 years previous work experience, etc. I go into the interview and they ask: what offices are you interested in, and then "do you have any questions for us." That's the whole interview.

Has this been everyone's experience so far? I feel like they've already decided who they want to callback.

also at vandy. four interviews in, a few more tomorrow, then more next week obviously. two went really well, two were a waste of time. the two that went well asked me lots of questions about my resume and seemed like they would go out of their way for me. who knows if these will turn into a callback, but nobody has heard back from either firm yet. i'm hanging on to hope.

median, journal, good resume (measured by the reactions of interviewers)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:06 am

T6 School, transferred in from T40
3.9, top 1% at old school
Secondary journal at new school
20 interviews
1 callback
2 rejections
13 pending; of those 13, at least 5 are "no hope"s, based on the two rejections
Major market (NYC/LA/DC/Chicago, only interviewing in one of them, excellent ties to the region)

Transferring: Worst decision ever? Yep.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:20 am

Just wondering if other people have experienced Chicago firms taking their sweet time to get back to people? There are 5 Chicago firms I interviewed with over a week ago and haven't heard a peep either way...though I'm definitely losing hope.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:T6 School, transferred in from T40
3.9, top 1% at old school
Secondary journal at new school
20 interviews
1 callback
2 rejections
13 pending; of those 13, at least 5 are "no hope"s, based on the two rejections
Major market (NYC/LA/DC/Chicago, only interviewing in one of them, excellent ties to the region)

Transferring: Worst decision ever? Yep.

I wouldn't take this as entirely indicative. I've been rejected by several firms i would never consider in a better economy and was starting to panic. Then i got CB's from three V20 firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just wondering if other people have experienced Chicago firms taking their sweet time to get back to people? There are 5 Chicago firms I interviewed with over a week ago and haven't heard a peep either way...though I'm definitely losing hope.

I know Skadden called some people earlier this week. Kirkland is getting decisions out early next week. Mayer Brown is still giving screening interviews to non-OCI applicants from what I hear, so I assume they won't be sending out rejections/callbacks until next week. Baker McKenzie sent out rejections this week.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Who else do you have in mind?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just wondering if other people have experienced Chicago firms taking their sweet time to get back to people? There are 5 Chicago firms I interviewed with over a week ago and haven't heard a peep either way...though I'm definitely losing hope.

I know Skadden called some people earlier this week. Kirkland is getting decisions out early next week. Mayer Brown is still giving screening interviews to non-OCI applicants from what I hear, so I assume they won't be sending out rejections/callbacks until next week. Baker McKenzie sent out rejections this week.

Sidley, Latham?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:07 am

Northwestern - GPA between 3.7 and 3.8

Targetted Chicago and 1 secondary market

15 OCI interviews (3 from secondary)
1 callback from secondary
0 callbacks from chicago
6 rejections from chicago
6 still pending

I don't know where my gpa puts me, but i feel a little ripped off going to the most expensive school in the country, getting above the median and still getting no love from law firms in our home market. All of my interviews went really well, i have solid WE, and good ECs (secondary journal, etc).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Sidley, Latham?

I also haven't heard from the four he mentioned, or Sidley. I can tell you that Latham has sent quite a few snail mail rejections; I got one and so have a handful of others.

rms5005

Postby rms5005 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:19 am

anybody know, on average, the percentage of callbacks a firm extends that turn into offers?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:23 am

Just finished the first week of OCI. One employer asked for my LSAT score during the interview! Strange...

T20/3.9X GPA (roughly top 5%)/LR + MC/targeting two secondary markets with extremely strong ties to one -- limited geographic flexibility
1 half day interview based on resume only
1 screening interview
7 OCI interviews completed (9 more to go)
2 callbacks (1 V20 and 1 strong regional)
no rejections (they're probably in the mail)

We'll see how it goes.

To the poster above -- there's another thread on that topic, I believe it's called 'how competitive is the callback round?' HTH.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:37 am

Transfer student

4 screening interviews so far--at least 5 more to go.
1 rejection received via mail 3 days later
1 Callback interview received 18 hours later.

Return to “Legal Employment”