OCI callbacks thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: OCI callbacks thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:58 pm

just had a callback interview today with a major firm and the hiring partner told me that this year is completely unprecedented. In years past, he said, they would have about a 70% acceptance rate of their callback offers (7 out of 10 people offered callbacks accepted.) This year, he said, almost 100% of the people that have been offered a callback have accepted. The important thing, he noted, was that the people receiving callbacks were receiving callbacks from many firms, i.e., the "cream of the crop" are doing just fine as they always have. Therefore, the100% callback acceptance rate will LIKELY NOT be representative of the offer-acceptance rate, he said.

What i take away from this is, for those of you worried because others have been offered/dinged, but you have heard nothing, there is a good chance that you will be called in for a callback interview, because the offer-acceptance rate after callbacks cant possibly be 100%. He also said that he thinks job offers will likely fill up quicker than in past years, and that firms are making selections and offers in a very systematic fashion this year as opposed to years past becuase no one knows what the first selection wave willl bring in.....

i know this isn't new news, but, take it for what it is worth.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:40 pm

anyone receiving callbacks from sf firms -- how long has the turnaround been?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anyone receiving callbacks from sf firms -- how long has the turnaround been?

I've had a few from Palo Alto (close enough?) firms and they have generally come within a few days.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anyone receiving callbacks from sf firms -- how long has the turnaround been?

Mofo, cooley and jones day have all been pretty quick.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:08 pm

funny i just asked when proskauer does callbacks and i got a call like an hour later. man getting that first one is SUCH a relief (for anyone interested, it was the day after)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:18 pm

Georgiana wrote:Hi all! Just a quick update from Penn OCI!

We have had two days so far with most people having 3-6 interviews total so far. There were calls that went out last night and this morning.

Firms making early calls have all been NYC. The DC and LA firms stress that it'll be a week or two before we hear anything.

Firms that have called (nyc offices only):
Jones Day
Debevois
Winston Strawn
Davis Polk

The people I know who were called are pretty much all top 30%

Ill update as more happens :)

Add to this Wilmer Hale Boston.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I've had a few from Palo Alto (close enough?) firms and they have generally come within a few days.

can you name which ones? ive only heard from one.

Mark71121

Postby Mark71121 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:29 pm

how is notre dame doing?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:21 am

Nearly every firm I interviewed with at ND said, "this is going to be a month-long process of giving callbacks, don't get discouraged if you don't hear immediately." With that said, rejected from no where, have heard from no where. Same goes for everyone else I know, but I don't talk to anyone that is applying to NYC/Chicago which I imagine is even more of a horror show.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:
ubik23 wrote:Does anyone know the timeline from callback to offer. I've been waiting 4+ days.

So far, mine have ranged from 3 - 5 business days.

did they tell you it'd be that quick or was that much sooner than what they told you?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

can you name which ones? ive only heard from one.

One of them was Ropes & Gray. I'd rather not name others as they are much smaller and generally IP only anyways.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:26 am

^ thanks. when was your OCI? im interested in R&G in SF.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:19 pm

Has anyone heard from the following Boston firms?
Proskauer
Goulston Storrs
Brown Rudnick
Mintz Levin
Foley & Lardner
Gunderson
Holland & Knight
Nutter

If rejection, was it via email or regular mail? If callback, approximately how many days/weeks after OCI?
Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:28 pm

Anyone heard anything from the NY offices of these firms?

Baker McKenzie
MoFo
Latham
Fulbright
Katten Muchin
Seward Kissel
Curtis Mallet-Prevost

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:MVP
URM
19 interviews - NYC, Chicago + secondary market.
1 callback
3 dings
Waiting on the rest.

1 more callback.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:10 pm

CCN, bad gpa, secondary journal, mediocre to poor interviewer
30 interviews
2 callbacks
14 rejections
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone heard anything from the NY offices of these firms?

Baker McKenzie
MoFo
Latham
Fulbright
Katten Muchin
Seward Kissel
Curtis Mallet-Prevost

Of those I interviewed w/ Fulbright NY last week, rejection via email 7 days later.

(my most surprising rejection so far, thought the interview went great, and got callbacks from higher ranked firms that I'd consider to be somewhat similar to Fulbright- oh well).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone heard anything from the NY offices of these firms?

Baker McKenzie
MoFo
Latham
Fulbright
Katten Muchin
Seward Kissel
Curtis Mallet-Prevost

Of those I interviewed w/ Fulbright NY last week, rejection via email 7 days later.

(my most surprising rejection so far, thought the interview went great, and got callbacks from higher ranked firms that I'd consider to be somewhat similar to Fulbright- oh well).

may I ask which school? you don't have to name the school but something like CCN/MVP would be helpful. thanks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:39 pm

So OCI at Vanderbilt started on Monday. I've had 3 interviews so far. I have not received a single question about my resume - not my summer job, 3 years previous work experience, etc. I go into the interview and they ask: what offices are you interested in, and then "do you have any questions for us." That's the whole interview.

Has this been everyone's experience so far? I feel like they've already decided who they want to callback.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
ubik23 wrote:Does anyone know the timeline from callback to offer. I've been waiting 4+ days.

So far, mine have ranged from 3 - 5 business days.

did they tell you it'd be that quick or was that much sooner than what they told you?

I didn't know nor was I told anything about timing. FWIW, for all mine there has been a weekend in between the interview and when I ended up getting the call. I have not gotten any calls from firms where other people had already (reportedly) heard.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:46 pm

T20
3.85, LR
25 interviews
5 callbacks, 2 rejections so far. Obviously a lot still up in the air, as OCI is just ending at my school.
Secondary market for all but like 2.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:53 pm

Does anyone know if simpson thacher is making offers?

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:40 pm

Georgiana wrote:Hi all! Just a quick update from Penn OCI!

We have had two days so far with most people having 3-6 interviews total so far. There were calls that went out last night and this morning.

Firms making early calls have all been NYC. The DC and LA firms stress that it'll be a week or two before we hear anything.

Firms that have called (nyc offices only):
Jones Day
Debevois
Winston Strawn
Davis Polk

The people I know who were called are pretty much all top 30%

Ill update as more happens :)

Updates from today:
WilmerHale is making calls (I don't think it is city specific)
Jones Day Pittsburgh
Ropes & Gray also made calls, not sure the offices
Cravath

Also: In the past hour... Simpson Thacher NYC

Update: Weil Boston
Last edited by Georgiana on Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So OCI at Vanderbilt started on Monday. I've had 3 interviews so far. I have not received a single question about my resume - not my summer job, 3 years previous work experience, etc. I go into the interview and they ask: what offices are you interested in, and then "do you have any questions for us." That's the whole interview.

Has this been everyone's experience so far? I feel like they've already decided who they want to callback.

It all depends on the interviewer's style. I have found that if you go ask someone else who had the same interviewer what they thought, there is some consensus. The people I have had a less exciting conversation with have duller conversations with everyone. Its not just me (thank god!).

Some of them will just do the "what can I tell you" thing, which is annoying, but there are ways to craft a good response. There are two basic options:
1) Do an introduction for your question (I am really interested in x, because of my experience with y, can you tell me about your firm's x practice?)
2) Ask a question you have a good story about (Question about something, interviewer's response, you reply with your story/anecdote)

If people know other good ways to deal with these interviews feel free to share!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:55 pm

Georgiana--I go to Penn and Ropes is my first choice. do you know what time they were calling?

Return to “Legal Employment”