OCI callbacks thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
NewHere

Re: OCI callbacks thread

Postby NewHere » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
NewHere wrote:
Does one mediocre to bad interview kill you in callbacks?

Not necessarily, but firms differ in how they handle their callback rounds. Some firms basically want to know that you don't commit any major faux pas, and are used to making offers to almost all callback students. Others like to invite two or three times as many students as they plan making offers to, and require fully positive reviews from all interviewers for an offer.

do you have any idea if that would hold true ITE?

Well, obviously I can't know anything for sure, but it would seem logical that there are still firms that like to interview lots of people and then pick the very best candidates, and other firms that like to do most of the sifting in the screening round. However, of course it's possible that individual firms have changed their strategy, and the number of people hired may have changed as well.

I'm not sure the economy plays much into how callback decisions are made. (The economy will influence HOW MANY callbacks and offers are made, but I'm not sure it will influence HOW these decisions are made.) Example: if a firm intends to make 50 offers, they could choose to invite 50-55 people for a callback and intend to give most of them offers, except the ones that they realize were a mistake. Alternatively, they could invite, say, 200 people for a callback and give only 25% of those an offer. (Or anything in between those two extremes.) It may look like inviting 50 people rather than 200 saves time (and therefore money), and that's probably true, but presumably going the 50-callbacks route would involve spending more time in the first round (and for example sending a hiring partner to OCI, rather than a cheaper third-year associate), because it's essential to pick the right people right there and then, as it's harder to rely on subsequent interviewers to weed out unwanted candidates.

The 200-callbacks scheme on balance probably still costs more, but even so it's unlikely (at least it seems unlikely to me) that a firm will try to cut costs there. If they intend to hire 10 people rather than their usual 20, they have an incentive to hire 10 people that they really want. And firms have philosophies about how to get the people they really want, that I'm not sure would be changed by economic circumstances. If they think a good hire requires the consent of five independent interviewers, because people currently at the firm need to be able to work with the new hire, it seems unlikely that they'll depart from that view. If they believe they have experienced screening interviewers who can separate the perceived wheat from the perceived chaff, they may put more reliance on the initial interview. It is hard for me to believe that a firm that normally wants all interviewers to agree that someone is a good candidate will suddenly agree to hire candidates with a 3/5 interview score, just for the sake of having to do fewer callbacks. Conversely, it is also hard to believe that a firm that normally does a lot of screening at the initial interview and where individual callback interviews don't count for much will suddenly start to reject people at the callback stage, essentially requiring them to do more callbacks to reach their summer-class-size target.

FrankReynolds

Postby FrankReynolds » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:56 pm

hahaha

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:16 pm

To put my two cents in regarding employment attitude toward hiring...

Firms have to deal with an offer/acceptance ratio. When there are plenty of jobs to go around (or at least more than there is now), a firm would be doing callbacks and extending bids to a greater number than they believed will accept them. However, since jobs are more scarce, there is a greater likelihood that someone who is given an offer will accept so a firm has to be cautious with the number of acceptances they give out.

My thoughts are that law firms are going to prolong or shorten the hiring period depending on the number of students that accept offers. Just to illustrate, I know one student who has received 4 call backs from the very limited number of big firms that came for OCI. Say theoretically, he receives 4 offers, those 3 firms that he ultimately chooses not to go with will not extend callbacks/offers to others until they find out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:50 pm

My firm from this summer (V10) will, according to a member of the management committee, be expecting a drastically increased yield this fall. Thus, they anticipate extending fewer offers than usual, and will likely be aligning their callbacks more closely to intended offers than in years past. All of which is to say that a callback is, relatively speaking, more likely to result in an offer this year than it was in the past. As to *how* much more likely, I do not think the shift will be huge, but for those in the hunt I'm sure the difference still matters.

A few caveats do apply. First, lots of other firms may not be taking this approach, so don't read too much into it. Second, my firm intends to hire the same # of SAs for 2010 as it did in 2009--something few other firms are doing--so my firm could be an outlier in its callback/offer approach for this reason alone.

ubik23

Postby ubik23 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:09 am

I agree. From what I have heard, every firm is worried about the yield. My hope is that callback/offers are closely aligned.

ubik23

Postby ubik23 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:10 am

Also, I think I know where you work (V10 poster) and your firm is awesome.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:My firm from this summer (V10) will, according to a member of the management committee, be expecting a drastically increased yield this fall. Thus, they anticipate extending fewer offers than usual, and will likely be aligning their callbacks more closely to intended offers than in years past. All of which is to say that a callback is, relatively speaking, more likely to result in an offer this year than it was in the past. As to *how* much more likely, I do not think the shift will be huge, but for those in the hunt I'm sure the difference still matters.

A few caveats do apply. First, lots of other firms may not be taking this approach, so don't read too much into it. Second, my firm intends to hire the same # of SAs for 2010 as it did in 2009--something few other firms are doing--so my firm could be an outlier in its callback/offer approach for this reason alone.

Any idea if Paul Weiss would be in a similar situation? Doing well in this economy, increasing their NY class from 89 to 101 (according to NALP directory). PW is my only callback so far, so I am hoping that the callback/offer ratio is as close to 1 as possible.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:58 am

<--- V10 poster

(1) Yes, the firm is awesome. I'm seriously psyched about returning full time.

(2) Don't know much about PW, other than that the firm seems to be doing relatively well, as you said.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:UVA
Top 5% / >3.7, LR and Moot Court
30 OCI interviews
11 callbacks so far (declined 1)
Waiting on 10 others that haven't extended callbacks to any UVA students so far
3 outright rejections
Only DC

(Update)
15 callbacks (declined 1)
Waiting on 6 others that haven't extended callbacks to any UVA students so far

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:26 am

Top ~1/3, T25, Secondary Journal

No callbacks after 10+ interviews in small secondary markets only, no interviews from even smaller non-OCI firms either.

I don't know anyone, personally or through anecdote, that has a single callback...BLOODBATH

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:40 am

Hi all! Just a quick update from Penn OCI!

We have had two days so far with most people having 3-6 interviews total so far. There were calls that went out last night and this morning.

Firms making early calls have all been NYC. The DC and LA firms stress that it'll be a week or two before we hear anything.

Firms that have called (nyc offices only):
Jones Day
Debevois
Winston Strawn
Davis Polk

The people I know who were called are pretty much all top 30%

Ill update as more happens :)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:49 am

Here are my stats: about top 10% t-14, transferred to t5, 16 interviews secondary market (not NYC or DC), 4 callbacks, 1 ding so far (ding was from a firm that usually can't attract candidates from t-14 schools, 3/4 callbacks were from the top 5 firms in the market). I haven't had access to my mailbox so I probably have more rejections that I don't know about. I'm on a secondary journal. I apparently have strong work experience because every interviewer has commented on my resume, but I didn't take time off between undergrad and law school, so all the jobs they're talking about occurred during undergrad or during the summer.

Hope this helps!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:52 am

Anyone hear from Skadden Boston yet? I know that the bigger Skadden offices have made callbacks, but I haven't heard about a single rejection or callback coming from the Boston office.

philo-sophia

Postby philo-sophia » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:16 pm

let's speculate about callback/offer percentages (that is, if you have a CB, the chances that becomes an offer) in an organized fashion. Here's the V50...go!

1 Wachtell
2 Cravath
3 Sulcrom
4 Skadden
5 Davis Polk
6 Simpson
7 Latham
8 Cleary
9 Weil
10 Kirkland
11 Covington
12 Debevoise
13 Paul Weiss
14 Williams & Connolly
15 Sidley Austin
16 Gibson Dunn
17 Wilmer Hale
18 White & Case
19 Shearman
20 Arnold & Porter
21 O'Melveny
22 Clifford
23 Jones Day
24 Mofo
25 Hogan & Hartson
26 Linklaters
27 Milbank
28 Ropes
29 Mayer Brown
30 Paul Hastings
31 Fried Frank
32 Freshfields
33 Akin Gump
34 Winston & Strawn
35 Quinn
36 Wilkie Farr
37 Orrick
38 Allen & Overy
39 Cadwalader
40 Proskauer
41 Baker Botts
42 King & Spalding
43 DLA Piper
44 Baker & McKenzie
45 WSGR
46 Boies Schiller
47 Morgan Lewis
48 Dewey & LeBoeuf
49 Fullbright & Jaworski
50 McDermott Will & Emery

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:29 pm

Last edited by underdawg on Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear from Skadden Boston yet? I know that the bigger Skadden offices have made callbacks, but I haven't heard about a single rejection or callback coming from the Boston office.

I heard from Skadden Boston yesterday (Tuesday).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:17 pm

Seriously, this whole process is so frustrating/annoying. Had an interview with a V50 firm that I was really excited about and felt I had a good shot at....I feel like I blew that one. He asked me what my long term plans were and I literally paused for like 5 seconds and just couldn't answer, and I asked a stupid question too. Of course, I had an interview with a V5 firm yesterday and it went super well even though I probably have no shot at the firm. Pretty sure I wanna cry.

ubik23

Postby ubik23 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:30 pm

Does anyone know the timeline from callback to offer. I've been waiting 4+ days.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:02 pm

ubik23 wrote:Does anyone know the timeline from callback to offer. I've been waiting 4+ days.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:School - Tier 2 (b/w 51-75)
Top 10%, Moot Court
# of interviews - 6 (so far)
# of callbacks - 1 (haven't heard from 4, 1 ding)
Target markets - regional

Three firms I dropped for backed out after taking resumes. 2 of the 3 I found out about the day before they were supposed to come on campus. Not cool.

Update:

# of interviews - just had my 8th interview today
# of callbacks - 2 (haven't heard from 4, 1 ding, 1 anticipated ding b/c no dinner invite)

For both callbacks I heard back 1-2 days after my interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:14 pm

anyone know how long proskauer (NY) or Ropes and Gray (NY) has taken to give callbacks?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:15 pm

DCNG Top 1/3 + LR

13 interviews

3 CBs
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:34 pm

Several students at my school have received either callbacks or email rejections from a certain firm, but I haven't received anything from this firm. Am I on some sort of standby in case the students that they called back don't accept their offers? Is an eventual rejection virtually inevitable?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anyone know how long proskauer (NY) or Ropes and Gray (NY) has taken to give callbacks?

Ropes NY: 1-2 days after the interview for callbacks

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Several students at my school have received either callbacks or email rejections from a certain firm, but I haven't received anything from this firm. Am I on some sort of standby in case the students that they called back don't accept their offers? Is an eventual rejection virtually inevitable?

This is the case with me as well with a number of firms. They have already offered callbacks, but they also seem to have rejected most everyone else a while ago. As best as I have been able to figure out in this situation you're being held for later callbacks if needed. No telling whether this means inevitable rejection, I assume it would depend on how people's callbacks at the firm go and what the yield rate on their offers are.

Return to “Legal Employment”