OCI callbacks thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: OCI callbacks thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:47 am

CCN
Median (slightly above)
29 interviews
5 rejections
0 callbacks
targeting CA
:(

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:For those with call-back interviews: Did the OCI interviews for the firms you got call-backs at go much more smoothly than the ones where you didn't get a call-back on?

4 callbacks, 3 were in the "good but not great" interview category for me. 1 was in the "probably not going to work out" category.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For those with call-back interviews: Did the OCI interviews for the firms you got call-backs at go much more smoothly than the ones where you didn't get a call-back on?

4 callbacks, 3 were in the "good but not great" interview category for me. 1 was in the "probably not going to work out" category.

4 cb's, 1 was one of my best, 1 was right up there, 1 was ok, and 1 i thought i had sorta bombed/offended

4 rejections, none of them went well at all, but i thought 1 was solidly in the 'ok' range

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:33 am

What is the range of time it's taken NY firms to respond about callbacks after OCI?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:46 am

1-3 days so far

but some told me they would take a little longer. and i know kirkland hasn't done cb's anywhere yet (not sure if they've extended offers to summers yet either)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:CCN
Median (slightly above)
29 interviews
5 rejections
0 callbacks
targeting CA

doing CA too but MVP. CA is tough bro.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Just finished OCI at CCN. Had 27 interviews, 7 of which were for a secondary market. Roughly top 10% + not great at interviews.

NY: 3 dings, 8 callbacks.
Secondary: 1 ding, 0 callbacks.

Thanks for the post, and please let us know how this progresses. Specifically, I am interested in how the Secondary market responses pan out for you. I go to a "regional TT", and I can say that I have had about 8-12 interviews for regional branches of international firms, regional firms, state firms, etc. I will respond how call backs turn out, if they turn out at all. My theory, though will soon be proven/disproven, is that regional/state schools will dominate their regions/states, even in the face of elite schools, given the fact that mid/larger sized firms were not as devastated by the downturn as the big name NYC firms. That being said, god save all 2Ls, 1Ls and 0Ls, the lowly classes of 2011, 12, 13...and perhaps beyond, destined to be competing against hundreds or thousands for a handful of spots.

One more callback yesterday but it was for a NY firm (bringing the total to 9). I have heard secondhand reports of others receiving callbacks from firms I interviewed with for the secondary market, which suggests I'm going to get absolutely nothing on that front. I had several very good interviews (objectively better than almost all my NY interviews), so I guess this is about either the practice area preferences I expressed or (more likely) a perception that I wasn't committed to the market. I probably would have been better off bidding in DC, where connections don't matter.

Update: Got one more NY callback and two callbacks for the secondary market yesterday/today. Seems like it just takes them a little longer to make their decisions. I'm now somewhat hopeful about my top choice in the secondary market.

So as of now...

NY: 5 dings / 10 CB
Secondary: 1 ding / 2 CB

10 firms are still up in the air, though I know at least 4 have given CBs to other students, so really only 6 firms remain in play.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Just finished OCI at CCN. Had 27 interviews, 7 of which were for a secondary market. Roughly top 10% + not great at interviews.

NY: 3 dings, 8 callbacks.
Secondary: 1 ding, 0 callbacks.

Thanks for the post, and please let us know how this progresses. Specifically, I am interested in how the Secondary market responses pan out for you. I go to a "regional TT", and I can say that I have had about 8-12 interviews for regional branches of international firms, regional firms, state firms, etc. I will respond how call backs turn out, if they turn out at all. My theory, though will soon be proven/disproven, is that regional/state schools will dominate their regions/states, even in the face of elite schools, given the fact that mid/larger sized firms were not as devastated by the downturn as the big name NYC firms. That being said, god save all 2Ls, 1Ls and 0Ls, the lowly classes of 2011, 12, 13...and perhaps beyond, destined to be competing against hundreds or thousands for a handful of spots.

One more callback yesterday but it was for a NY firm (bringing the total to 9). I have heard secondhand reports of others receiving callbacks from firms I interviewed with for the secondary market, which suggests I'm going to get absolutely nothing on that front. I had several very good interviews (objectively better than almost all my NY interviews), so I guess this is about either the practice area preferences I expressed or (more likely) a perception that I wasn't committed to the market. I probably would have been better off bidding in DC, where connections don't matter.

Update: Got one more NY callback and two callbacks for the secondary market yesterday/today. Seems like it just takes them a little longer to make their decisions. I'm now somewhat hopeful about my top choice in the secondary market.

So as of now...

NY: 5 dings / 10 CB
Secondary: 1 ding / 2 CB

10 firms are still up in the air, though I know at least 4 have given CBs to other students, so really only 6 firms remain in play.

What is your 2ndary market? Boston by any chance?

Mr. T6

Postby Mr. T6 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:33 pm

CCN
Slightly above median
22 interviews

Targeting NYC. Year and a half of work experience there.

0 callbacks, no rejections.

WTF>!!>!>!>

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Not really. For one of my callbacks, the guy looked at my transcript at the very beginning of the interview and then started to talk about everything non-law, non-firm related. We honestly talked about baseball and True Blood for about 20 minutes. I thought he went to the meaningless conversation because they were not even interested in me. Got a callback the next day.

were your grades good? if so, then he probably decided that you meet their grade cutoff, and all he needed to do was to make sure that you're socially competent.

My grades are mediocre.

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:1-3 days so far

but some told me they would take a little longer. and i know kirkland hasn't done cb's anywhere yet (not sure if they've extended offers to summers yet either)

I had my Kirkland interview today and he told me we wouldn't hear anything for another week or two once all OCIs were done. Annoying but makes sense I guess.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:15 pm

Did anyone hear anything from Foley Hoag yet? If rejected was it via email or letter? If you received a callback, how long was the time period between the interview and callback? I'm very interested in this firm for personal reasons and haven't heard much about their callback process because they're a smaller firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:CCN
Median (slightly above)
29 interviews
5 rejections
0 callbacks
targeting CA

doing CA too but MVP. CA is tough bro.

Hope you're doing better than me dude. Another ding today

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did anyone hear anything from Foley Hoag yet? If rejected was it via email or letter? If you received a callback, how long was the time period between the interview and callback? I'm very interested in this firm for personal reasons and haven't heard much about their callback process because they're a smaller firm.

I got a phone call callback from Foley Hoag the day after my interview.

ubik23

Postby ubik23 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:23 pm

I've done 2 callback interviews so far and have I would say gone 3/4 out of the people I've met in each interview. Does one mediocre to bad interview kill you in callbacks? Also does it matter if you had a mediocre interview with a junior associate vs. partner?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:24 pm

just started OCI now at Penn and have had only NY interviews. Nearly every firm when i asked said they make their decisions in 1-2 weeks but everyone here says NY has been very very fast. For those people, did they tell you in the interviews they'd be fast or did you hear the same as me but callbacks hear much earlier?

NewHere

Postby NewHere » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:41 pm

Does one mediocre to bad interview kill you in callbacks?

Not necessarily, but firms differ in how they handle their callback rounds. Some firms basically want to know that you don't commit any major faux pas, and are used to making offers to almost all callback students. Others like to invite two or three times as many students as they plan making offers to, and require fully positive reviews from all interviewers for an offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:53 pm

GULC

9 interviews thus far

haven't heard anything yet.

anyone from GULC get callbacks yet?

FrankReynolds

Postby FrankReynolds » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:06 pm

CCN
Slightly above median
22 interviews

Are you sure you listed the correct mailing address? Seems hard to believe you would get ZERO dings, and most come by postal mail.

Gators08

Postby Gators08 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:17 pm

FrankReynolds wrote:
CCN
Slightly above median
22 interviews

Are you sure you listed the correct mailing address? Seems hard to believe you would get ZERO dings, and most come by postal mail.

Yeah the only people I know who haven't "gotten" any dings left the city after OCI and haven't had anyone to check their mail.

hbb

Postby hbb » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Not really. For one of my callbacks, the guy looked at my transcript at the very beginning of the interview and then started to talk about everything non-law, non-firm related. We honestly talked about baseball and True Blood for about 20 minutes. I thought he went to the meaningless conversation because they were not even interested in me. Got a callback the next day.

were your grades good? if so, then he probably decided that you meet their grade cutoff, and all he needed to do was to make sure that you're socially competent.

This.

C'mon man. It's hard enough to follow these anonymous poster threads as it is: don't use the feature if you don't need to.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:47 pm

NewHere wrote:
Does one mediocre to bad interview kill you in callbacks?

Not necessarily, but firms differ in how they handle their callback rounds. Some firms basically want to know that you don't commit any major faux pas, and are used to making offers to almost all callback students. Others like to invite two or three times as many students as they plan making offers to, and require fully positive reviews from all interviewers for an offer.

do you have any idea if that would hold true ITE?

gollymolly

Postby gollymolly » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:53 pm

Last edited by gollymolly on Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:54 pm

stop being a weenie

Mr. T6

Postby Mr. T6 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:07 pm

I put the wrong mailing address.

Return to “Legal Employment”