OCI callbacks thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
Corsair
Posts: 3997
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 1981 12:25 am

Re: OCI callbacks thread

Postby Corsair » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:29 pm

..

Anonymous User
Posts: 273317
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI callbacks thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:35 pm

Top 20 School, top 5%, Law Review

18 screenings,
9 callbacks,
3 dings

Got dinged from GDC after being told "See you soon" at the end of the interview. Whatever. People who were invited to the reception got dinged shortly thereafter as well.

LurkerNoMore
Posts: 237
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:05 pm

Re: OCI callbacks thread

Postby LurkerNoMore » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Are they taking THAT long to reject? WTF. I'm thrilled I have ONE callback. Thanking every lucky star I can think of. Do you think they just don't send you a rejection letter/email if you're someone like me? Waste of paper.


Most firms are doing rolling decisions this year. They want to fill out a certain class size, but have no idea what their yields will be. For this reason, a lot are reaching out to their top choices first and icing the rest. Some are reaching out to the top and cutting the bottom and leaving a substantial section to wait for word. If you know a firm has sent out rejections and call back offers and have heard nothing, then that is a good sign. If the firm is just notifying call backs, then that you are in the dark and will probably have to wait awhile for the answer. I would still, for the purposes of planning, assume that all stoney silences are rejections to come. If you get an offer, you can probably reach out to some of the firms you haven't heard from to inquire about their timeline for the decision making process.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273317
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI callbacks thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:T20/bottom half/journal

10 interviews.

8 days since last interview.

1 callback/3 dings.

Are they taking THAT long to reject? WTF. I'm thrilled I have ONE callback. Thanking every lucky star I can think of. Do you think they just don't send you a rejection letter/email if you're someone like me? Waste of paper.

Kids at our school have received and accepted offers at GDC.


way to go. vault range of the callback firm?


V50

also
LurkerNoMore wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Are they taking THAT long to reject? WTF. I'm thrilled I have ONE callback. Thanking every lucky star I can think of. Do you think they just don't send you a rejection letter/email if you're someone like me? Waste of paper.


Most firms are doing rolling decisions this year. They want to fill out a certain class size, but have no idea what their yields will be. For this reason, a lot are reaching out to their top choices first and icing the rest. Some are reaching out to the top and cutting the bottom and leaving a substantial section to wait for word. If you know a firm has sent out rejections and call back offers and have heard nothing, then that is a good sign. If the firm is just notifying call backs, then that you are in the dark and will probably have to wait awhile for the answer. I would still, for the purposes of planning, assume that all stoney silences are rejections to come. If you get an offer, you can probably reach out to some of the firms you haven't heard from to inquire about their timeline for the decision making process.


Yeah. heard there were rejections from a bunch. (Paul Hastings, for example) that haven't gotten back to me.

But seriously confused.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273317
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI callbacks thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:56 pm

The model recently mentioned has been used historically as well. Most years that I'm aware of, law firms create three basic sets of lists: early callback, hold callback, and rejection. At least historically, law firms (even some of the elite) have been unable to fill their summer associate classes from only the early callback lists, and so hold callbacks could expect a decent to good chance of being called back. This year, the depth to which firms have to go into their hold callback lists might be shallower due to the likelihood of greater yield protection and the hiring market advantage that many firms have in the current economic state.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273317
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI callbacks thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:52 pm

CCN Top 1/3rd, no journals no nothing
28 Interviews
5 Callbacks
3 Dings
The rest haven't responded, though I'm expecting a flood of dings tomorrow.

User avatar
XxSpyKEx
Posts: 1741
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:48 am

Re: OCI callbacks thread

Postby XxSpyKEx » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:09 pm

This is pretty bad. Also, I'm noticing a real lack of posters here that are in the t7-14 range. Not sure if that means that they are all so pissed off that they don't want to post, but I'd definitely like to here some more from those schools (since there have been so many CCN posts and those are all pretty brutal). More specifically those students around top 1/4, top 1/3, and median in the t7-14 range (including GULC). Also, is there no people on here that go to HYS?-- there's not a single post from HYS on here.

User avatar
Corsair
Posts: 3997
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 1981 12:25 am

Re: OCI callbacks thread

Postby Corsair » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:10 pm

..

Anonymous User
Posts: 273317
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI callbacks thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:12 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote:This is pretty bad. Also, I'm noticing a real lack of posters here that are in the t7-14 range. Not sure if that means that they are all so pissed off that they don't want to post, but I'd definitely like to here some more from those schools (since there have been so many CCN posts and those are all pretty brutal). More specifically those students around top 1/4, top 1/3, and median in the t7-14 range (including GULC). Also, is there no people on here that go to HYS?-- there's not a single post from HYS on here.


OCI starts tomorrow at Harvard.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273317
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI callbacks thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:21 pm

Michigan

8 vault 50 firm callbacks.

A smattering of lower ranked firms.

People in the top 1/3rd or so seem to be doing just fine. I don't have good information below that.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273317
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI callbacks thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:30 pm

8 callbacks @ Michigan already? What market? I had plenty of interviews and have not heard a thing yet - is that a bad sign?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273317
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI callbacks thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:8 callbacks @ Michigan already? What market? I had plenty of interviews and have not heard a thing yet - is that a bad sign?


NY mostly.

I don't know. I know many firms haven't said anything yet. I wouldn't stress too much until you get a rejection.

I also know Chicago seems to be really slow in replying.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273317
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI callbacks thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:34 pm

Did they make calls this weekend? I guess I am a little surprised you have that many callbacks since interviews just ended Friday.

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:8 callbacks @ Michigan already? What market? I had plenty of interviews and have not heard a thing yet - is that a bad sign?


NY mostly.

I don't know. I know many firms haven't said anything yet. I wouldn't stress too much until you get a rejection.

I also know Chicago seems to be really slow in replying.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273317
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI callbacks thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:35 pm

From those I've talked to here (at UVA):

Top 1/3 or so = doing fine, many with several callbacks

Middle 1/3 or so = worried, but plenty have callbacks and those hitting the less selective markets (i.e. not DC) aren't doing as bad as might be expected

Bottom 1/3 or so = not going to be getting jobs through OGI this year

Anonymous User
Posts: 273317
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI callbacks thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did they make calls this weekend? I guess I am a little surprised you have that many callbacks since interviews just ended Friday.

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:8 callbacks @ Michigan already? What market? I had plenty of interviews and have not heard a thing yet - is that a bad sign?


NY mostly.

I don't know. I know many firms haven't said anything yet. I wouldn't stress too much until you get a rejection.

I also know Chicago seems to be really slow in replying.




some were the day of. mostly started rolling in like crazy thursday and friday. One saturday.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273317
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI callbacks thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Did they make calls this weekend? I guess I am a little surprised you have that many callbacks since interviews just ended Friday.

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:8 callbacks @ Michigan already? What market? I had plenty of interviews and have not heard a thing yet - is that a bad sign?


NY mostly.

I don't know. I know many firms haven't said anything yet. I wouldn't stress too much until you get a rejection.

I also know Chicago seems to be really slow in replying.




some were the day of. mostly started rolling in like crazy thursday and friday. One saturday.


What was your class rank (since you are posting anonymously anyway)?... I suspect your class rank was better then top 1/3.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273317
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI callbacks thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What was your class rank (since you are posting anonymously anyway)?... I suspect your class rank was better then top 1/3.




well I obviously don't know my exact class rank. I'll say better than top 1/3 but not by a wide margin.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273317
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI callbacks thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What was your class rank (since you are posting anonymously anyway)?... I suspect your class rank was better then top 1/3.




well I obviously don't know my exact class rank. I'll say better than top 1/3 but not by a wide margin.


Yeah, I forgot Michigan doesn't rank. What was your GPA?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273317
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI callbacks thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What was your class rank (since you are posting anonymously anyway)?... I suspect your class rank was better then top 1/3.




well I obviously don't know my exact class rank. I'll say better than top 1/3 but not by a wide margin.


Yeah, I forgot Michigan doesn't rank. What was your GPA?



not posting that...sorry.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273317
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI callbacks thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:59 pm

When was UVA's OCI? I am really starting to stress after hearing this. I'm also at Mich, well into the top 1/3 (maybe even top 10%-15%), and have heard nothing. I'm not a bad interviewer, either (at least I didn't think so).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273317
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI callbacks thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:When was UVA's OCI? I am really starting to stress after hearing this. I'm also at Mich, well into the top 1/3 (maybe even top 10%-15%), and have heard nothing. I'm not a bad interviewer, either (at least I didn't think so).



what market?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273317
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI callbacks thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:When was UVA's OCI? I am really starting to stress after hearing this. I'm also at Mich, well into the top 1/3 (maybe even top 10%-15%), and have heard nothing. I'm not a bad interviewer, either (at least I didn't think so).



what market?


Chicago.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273317
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI callbacks thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:When was UVA's OCI? I am really starting to stress after hearing this. I'm also at Mich, well into the top 1/3 (maybe even top 10%-15%), and have heard nothing. I'm not a bad interviewer, either (at least I didn't think so).



what market?


Chicago.



the firms that I've heard have called people back from Chicago is Jenner and MWE. It seems that otherwise Chicago has been very slow. I wouldn't worry.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273317
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI callbacks thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:When was UVA's OCI? I am really starting to stress after hearing this. I'm also at Mich, well into the top 1/3 (maybe even top 10%-15%), and have heard nothing. I'm not a bad interviewer, either (at least I didn't think so).


I seriously think the other dude that posted must be seriously underestimating his class rank to be pulling 8 callbacks before the end of OCI. I'm saying he's probably around 3.6+, putting him in the running for just about any firm in a normal economy.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273317
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI callbacks thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:When was UVA's OCI? I am really starting to stress after hearing this. I'm also at Mich, well into the top 1/3 (maybe even top 10%-15%), and have heard nothing. I'm not a bad interviewer, either (at least I didn't think so).


I seriously think the other dude that posted must be seriously underestimating his class rank to be pulling 8 callbacks before the end of OCI. I'm saying he's probably around 3.6+, putting him in the running for just about any firm in a normal economy.


Yeah. Doesn't really make much sense to say how many call backs you have and withhold GPA which would be helpful as a frame of reference. I guess it's out of my hands now, and I should just go to bed and stop worrying about it ;)




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.