OCI callbacks thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
underdawg

Silver

Re: OCI callbacks thread

Post by underdawg » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
kurama20 wrote:Could people please please just say what school they go to since this is an anonymous forum. It would help greatly in determining if the small gradations or differences in various schools actually matter, or if a lot of people are just being ridiculous with the fine gradations between the schools. (I.E is going to Stanford really going to guarantee you a job while going to Chicago means you "are not safe"). It would also help show whether or not hypotheses like small class sizes helps hiring etc( ie Duke is going to do better than GULC because GULC is massive). Is there any harm in revealing what school you go to if the post is anonymous? Am I missing something?
Yes. Since callbacks don't happen at the same time and are fewer this year, it's quite easy to out yourself.
out yourself as "anonymous user"?

?
Last edited by underdawg on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Corsair

Gold

Post by Corsair » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:31 pm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:32 pm

underdawg wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
kurama20 wrote:Could people please please just say what school they go to since this is an anonymous forum. It would help greatly in determining if the small gradations or differences in various schools actually matter, or if a lot of people are just being ridiculous with the fine gradations between the schools. (I.E is going to Stanford really going to guarantee you a job while going to Chicago means you "are not safe"). It would also help show whether or not hypotheses like small class sizes helps hiring etc( ie Duke is going to do better than GULC because GULC is massive). Is there any harm in revealing what school you go to if the post is anonymous? Am I missing something?
Yes. Since callbacks don't happen at the same time and are fewer this year, it's quite easy to out yourself.
out yourself as "anonymous user"?

?
Naw. Since callbacks are fewer, and are likely based on interviewer and timing of the interview, a diligent recruiter/partner could identify you based on the time you posted about the callback and other information you provided.

I don't know. I don't think it's all that hard to identify someone, especially when they post grades/class rank.

NewHere

Bronze

Post by NewHere » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:50 pm

Normally I'd just turn your post to your normal forum name, but you may want to contact Hawkeye or myself about changing your normal forum name.
Really? Corsair, I agree with you and the other moderators that the "Anonymous" function should not be misused for posts, but I don't think it's fair to make the sanction for violation turning the poster's name into his or her regular forum name. Warning and possibly blocking a poster's "Anonymous" function would be better.

So far I've posted anonymously twice on this new forum. As a moderator you can see what those posts are. One of them is clearly within the guidelines -- it contains personal information -- the other if I remember correctly was sort of a borderline case: I chose to post it anonymously to be on the safe side.

Different people have different opinions on what should be kept private, and as a moderator you do not always know the back story. I would hate for a post that I wanted to keep anonymous to be turned into a post under my regular name, just because a moderator draws the line between public and private differently. If outing a poster is the sanction for perceived misuse of the "Anonymous" function, it will make me think five times before posting anything in this new forum.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:54 pm

Mark71121 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:CCN
b/w 10% and 33%, secondary journal
26 Interviews
5 callbacks
2 dings
the rest... unknown
Interviewed DC and NY, doing much better in NY so far, hoping that is just a DC delay.

can you give vault range for the callbacks
update:
7 callbacks, 2 dings (and a few that I pretty much know I didn't get but haven't heard from)

The callbacks are 2 V10 firms, 2 V10-50, 3 V50-100
Dings are not V10 firms, but are ranked by Vault as being in the top 15 DC firms

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TTT-LS

Silver

Post by TTT-LS » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:45 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

redsox

Silver

Post by redsox » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:58 pm

TTT-LS wrote:+1

I will stop posting (what I hope is useful information) anonymously the minute I hear about an anon post being converted into a named post.
I tested it a while ago:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 23&t=82462

...and got changed to a named post.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:01 pm

I think the grey area posts definitely shouldn't be changed to the actual poster's name. But come on, there is some rampant abuse of the anonymous post going on here and there are situations where it's not even close to being iffy.

OK, but now I'm a total idiot, because apparently I posted this anonymously. ~Gollymolly.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:06 pm

I think there is a difference between getting outted for jackassary. Personally, I think if you make personal attacks using the anonymous feature, the default punishment should be tying your post to your username. People are already engaging in hit and run tactics using the anonymous feature and it takes up a lot of moderator time.

That said, we've not made any changes on usernames on any post that would be considered in the same time zone of a close call. It's also a royal pain in the ass to remove the anonymous feature on a person by person. If it really gets to the point of abuse where I'd remove it for a person, I'm going to just ban them and save time.

If you are posting on-topic or revealing sensitive information, there is absolutely no danger of being outted, because we don't even check those posts. But that's not what people are using the anonymous feature for. In fact, I think there are less "close calls" than you think there are, to be honest.

In the words of a great man: This isn't nam, Smokey, we have rules.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I think the grey area posts definitely shouldn't be changed to the actual poster's name. But come on, there is some rampant abuse of the anonymous post going on here and there are situations where it's not even close to being iffy.
This. Thanks for that.

Corsair

Gold

Post by Corsair » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:13 pm

TTT-LS

Silver

Post by TTT-LS » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:21 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redsox

Silver

Post by redsox » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:29 pm

Oh, I never said it wasn't justified or that my post was appropriate, I just wanted to see if it would/could happen. And it did.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:33 pm

TTT-LS wrote:
Corsair wrote:We're basically trying to get people to only use it when it is actually necessary, and not get in the habit of using it by default just because it is there.
That's fine and all, and the outing of redsox in the other thread seemed eminently justified, but I still think there's at least a very real (potential) problem with a moderator not knowing why someone made a particular post anonymous. There could easily be reasons that nobody would really ever anticipate.

I don't doubt that there are very few close calls, as PK says. In those cases, it does seem to make sense to warn an offending poster before outing them, and to give the poster a chance to revise/delete to remedy the problem on their own first. Staying within the Lebowski theme, maybe a PM to the user that says something akin to "OVER THE LINE!"
Good point -- I think the over the line should be an employment forum meme.

NewHere

Bronze

Post by NewHere » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:34 pm

TTT-LS wrote:I don't doubt that there are very few close calls, as PK says. In those cases, it does seem to make sense to warn an offending poster before outing them, and to give the poster a chance to revise/delete to remedy the problem on their own first. Staying within the Lebowski theme, maybe a PM to the user that says something akin to "OVER THE LINE!"
Seconded.
Last edited by NewHere on Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:34 pm

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:35 pm

totally saved. lol.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:59 pm

Quick Update:
CCN Transfer
3 Callbacks (spread throughout the Vault Continuum)
1 Rejection

Corsair

Gold

Post by Corsair » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:15 pm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:30 pm

Corsair wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Quick Update:
CCN Transfer
3 Callbacks (spread throughout the Vault Continuum)
1 Rejection
Could you give a rough range of ranking of school you transferred from?
T14.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Keep it anonymous for now...

MVP school
~top 25%
Secondary Journal
Interviews: 6 Regional, 25 OCI
Callbacks: Haven't done interviews yet, will update later
Markets: LA and DC
Oh, and I am patent bar eligible but not focusing on patent firms
Me again!

Had my 6 regional interviews in LA Mon/Tues and got a callback today. Hopefully this is a good sign and more are on the way :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:16 pm

Got a callback for Paul Hastings today..

also got asked to fly in for a screen interview for Proskauer Rose. For what it's worth.

As for the other interviews (ended yesterday) still haven't heard a SINGLE THING

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:41 pm

Dechert today, interviewed last week.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Dechert today, interviewed last week.
What office did you hear from Dechert? I've heard of NY, DC and Boston but not Philly yet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Dechert today, interviewed last week.
What office did you hear from Dechert? I've heard of NY, DC and Boston but not Philly yet.
It was a California office.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”