OCI callbacks thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: OCI callbacks thread

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:43 am

UVA top 1/3 is a 3.4, top 1/4 is 3.48, so yes, 3.6+ is way better than top 1/3.

I'm down in the barely top 1/3 category (secondary journal and good interviewer) and I have had 21 interviews, 2 callbacks and 3 rejections. Other than that, a whole lot of silence. Also, most of the decisions I've heard about (callback or rejection) from my friends are from DC or NYC. In general, it seems pretty darned brutal this year though. I know folks w/ top 1/4 targeting only DC who have 0 callbacks. Really starting to worry about some of my friends at or below median.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:UVA top 1/3 is a 3.4, top 1/4 is 3.48, so yes, 3.6+ is way better than top 1/3.

I'm down in the barely top 1/3 category (secondary journal and good interviewer) and I have had 21 interviews, 2 callbacks and 3 rejections. Other than that, a whole lot of silence. Also, most of the decisions I've heard about (callback or rejection) from my friends are from DC or NYC. In general, it seems pretty darned brutal this year though. I know folks w/ top 1/4 targeting only DC who have 0 callbacks. Really starting to worry about some of my friends at or below median.
wow...do we think it's about the same at duke, mich, gulc, etc?

ubik23

New

Post by ubik23 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:56 pm

Anyone have any idea about what the callback to offer rate is going to be? I assume it might be high considering that callbacks seem to be few and far between (unless you're a top 1/3 lr-er). I think firms may be inviting back people they are serious about hiring.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:17 pm

Update
CCN Top 1/3rd, no journals, nothing
Interviews: 28
Callbacks: 6
Rejections: 4
Markets: Targeted NY and TX (with strong ties), but all callbacks are from NY. Vault Rankings range from V5s to V40s.

If I happen to get an offer, I'll update with more precise information. I don't think my grades are spectacular, but I do think I'm a good interviewer, and I somehow manage to come across as really intelligent despite my grades.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:23 pm

UVA
Top 5% / >3.7, LR and Moot Court
30 OCI interviews
11 callbacks so far (declined 1)
Waiting on 10 others that haven't extended callbacks to any UVA students so far
3 outright rejections
Only DC

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TTT-LS

Silver

Post by TTT-LS » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:01 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TTT-LS

Silver

Post by TTT-LS » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:03 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:28 pm

T25
top 1/3 (no ranking)
Law Review

14 interviews (NY and Chi)
1 callback
2 dings (and haven't heard from 3 places that have called back others from my class so probably dings)
this is brutal.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:39 pm

TTT-LS wrote:No. Dook's curve is, IIRC, at least somewhat similar to NU's.
Duke median is 3.3. Only 15% can get 3.7 or higher in any given class. Not sure beyond that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:45 pm

ubik23 wrote:Anyone have any idea about what the callback to offer rate is going to be? I assume it might be high considering that callbacks seem to be few and far between (unless you're a top 1/3 lr-er). I think firms may be inviting back people they are serious about hiring.
I'm interested in seeing how this turns out. My guess would be yes, because in cost-crunch mode firms aren't going to be flying out a bunch of people they don't intend to hire...

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:03 pm

Corsair wrote:
Hitachi wrote:Probably quite a bit at most, although Michigan has a 3.19 curve, while a lot of others have a 3.3 curve. At Northwestern, that's probably median, though.
I think that's overstating the case at NU a LITTLE...
:lol: I thought median was around 3.8 at NU?

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:05 pm

rayiner wrote:I'm interested in seeing how this turns out. My guess would be yes, because in cost-crunch mode firms aren't going to be flying out a bunch of people they don't intend to hire...
I agree rayiner. But I'm going to go one step beyond and say they aren't going to be hiring, period :D

spanktheduck

Bronze

Post by spanktheduck » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:58 pm

rayiner wrote:
ubik23 wrote:Anyone have any idea about what the callback to offer rate is going to be? I assume it might be high considering that callbacks seem to be few and far between (unless you're a top 1/3 lr-er). I think firms may be inviting back people they are serious about hiring.
I'm interested in seeing how this turns out. My guess would be yes, because in cost-crunch mode firms aren't going to be flying out a bunch of people they don't intend to hire...
It probably depends. If they fly you out you probably have a better chance. If you are in the city, perhaps not. I have been on a few callbacks where I wasn't flown in, I was just in the area and they interviewed me. My chances there are probably less.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

FrankReynolds

Bronze

Post by FrankReynolds » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:12 pm

CCN, below median
25+ interviews
3 callbacks, all in different major markets
tons of rejections

My guesstimate from speaking to people is that if you exclude the top 10%, URMs, and IP folks, the median number of callbacks is about 2.

Top 10%, URMs, and IP folks seem to be getting 6-10+

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:14 pm

FrankReynolds wrote:CCN, below median
25+ interviews
tons of rejections

My guesstimate from speaking to people is that if you exclude the top 10%, URMs, and IP folks, the median number of callbacks is about 2.

Very sobering. But at least you did get some callbacks....

-Scared-as-hell CCN 0L

kurama20

Silver

Post by kurama20 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:19 pm

25+ interviews
tons of rejections

What is it with the URM thing? Why do people act like being URM is a golden ticket for getting hired? I have never heard of being black/latino/native american being a boost for anything other than admission purposes. Since when in the hell is it a boost to be a minority when getting a job? Is this just TLS speculation based on the existence of things like diversity career fairs etc? Because the hard data seems to point to the opposite of what people are saying. I doubt firms are clamoring to hire URMS in the bottom half of their classes.

FrankReynolds

Bronze

Post by FrankReynolds » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:23 pm

Firms are definitely clamoring to hire URMs. The problem area is that most firms have a very low URM partner ratio.

But if you attend HYSCCN and you are URM, you are gonna get a market paying firm job unless you are like very socially awkward or bottom 10% of your class IMHO.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bradley

New

Post by bradley » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:26 pm

dresden doll wrote:
25+ interviews
tons of rejections

-Scared-as-hell CCN 0L
You shouldn't even be sniffing this board as a 0L. You should not spend time cluttering your mind with thoughts of OCI and jobs. Seriously, you should be only worrying about classes right now and getting the best grades you possibly can, especially since you are under enough stress starting 1L as it is.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:34 pm

UVA
3.40-3.45 (so ~top 1/3)
23 interviews (1 more to go)
5 callbacks, 2 rejections, silence from at least 6 firms that have extended callbacks to other UVA people
West Coast and TX
Normal kid with some interesting stuff on my resume (or at least I like to think so) but slightly nervous/awkward in interviews
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark71121

Bronze

Post by Mark71121 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:57 pm

kurama20 wrote:
25+ interviews
tons of rejections

What is it with the URM thing? Why do people act like being URM is a golden ticket for getting hired? I have never heard of being black/latino/native american being a boost for anything other than admission purposes. Since when in the hell is it a boost to be a minority when getting a job? Is this just TLS speculation based on the existence of things like diversity career fairs etc? Because the hard data seems to point to the opposite of what people are saying. I doubt firms are clamoring to hire URMS in the bottom half of their classes.
firms are often forced to hire URMs because their of pressure from their clients

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:06 pm

25+ interviews
tons of rejections

you're doing pretty good for CCN below median. most people i know with your class rank at CCN have 0-2 callbacks.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:07 pm

are Asians considered URMs for law firm hiring?

Mark71121

Bronze

Post by Mark71121 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:are Asians considered URMs for law firm hiring?
no

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:14 pm

Mark71121 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:are Asians considered URMs for law firm hiring?
no
What if the entire firm is white? :lol:

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:14 pm

bradley wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
25+ interviews
tons of rejections

-Scared-as-hell CCN 0L
You shouldn't even be sniffing this board as a 0L. You should not spend time cluttering your mind with thoughts of OCI and jobs. Seriously, you should be only worrying about classes right now and getting the best grades you possibly can, especially since you are under enough stress starting 1L as it is.
You are probably very correct. I just keep going back to this thread whenever I review my loan info...can't help myself, I am afraid. :(

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”