OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Pufer

Re: Suits (Clothing, not law)

Postby Pufer » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:33 pm

Duralex wrote:Joke was funny enough for me, and one day you'll realize the world is bigger than your little bubble.

Horrible by your standards, right? Each to their own. If you're quibbling over the finer points of dress you're probably doing OK compared to the general population.

Did you seriously just post a picture of a guy wearing a popped jacket collar to make some kind of point about the acceptability of his shoes in a law office setting?

-Pufer

Duralex

Postby Duralex » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:58 pm

Kinda did. It's a catalog photo. The suit is nice enough (I'd stay away from the pocket square, though.) But, yeah--silly to wear the jacket that way and maybe not the best choice of example.

Waterman47

Postby Waterman47 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:51 pm

zettsscores40 wrote:You need to hang out around different people. Loafers are casual shoes. You can wear them with a suit on special occasions but lol @ the law office.

+1

You can't take this whole "don't dress like a corporate drone" viewpoint that far. If you go into an interview wearing shoes with no laces you should just /self.

BTW, what exactly are wood soles? I was looking at some Bruno Magli dress shoes today, and the sales person told me the soles were wood. I thought it was rubber or leather. Are wood soles good/durable?

zettsscores40

Postby zettsscores40 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:55 pm

Duralex wrote:Aww you beat me to calling the "cool ad hominem, bro." I was reaching for the edit button. You're right about the gun thing--looking at your history, you said you probably wouldn't despite being able to. I read it too quickly and remembered it as "I went and got permission." The idea of worrying over the appropriateness of your shoes while wearing a pistol everywhere struck me as somehow hilariously absurd.

How can you "argue" about something like this anyway? There's no code. There's no evidence. We don't have experts. It's a matter of taste. Possibly even a matter of geography (viz. the cowboy boot thing.)

Why is that "hilariously absurd"? If you have a CCW and it's allowed I find no reason not to.

HenryKillinger

Postby HenryKillinger » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:04 pm

Waterman47 wrote:
zettsscores40 wrote:You need to hang out around different people. Loafers are casual shoes. You can wear them with a suit on special occasions but lol @ the law office.

+1

You can't take this whole "don't dress like a corporate drone" viewpoint that far. If you go into an interview wearing shoes with no laces you should just /self.

BTW, what exactly are wood soles? I was looking at some Bruno Magli dress shoes today, and the sales person told me the soles were wood. I thought it was rubber or leather. Are wood soles good/durable?

Maybe meant wood heeled? My understanding is that many shoes are made with a stacked wood heel with a final layer of rubber or leather on the bottom.

Waterman47

Postby Waterman47 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:06 pm

HenryKillinger wrote:
Waterman47 wrote:

+1

Maybe meant wood heeled? My understanding is that many shoes are made with a stacked wood heel with a final layer of rubber or leather on the bottom.

We were definitely talking about the sole itself. It looked like wood for sure, but I'd never heard of wood soles and assumed it was leather that looked like wood for some reason. But she insisted that it was, in fact, wood. They were originally $300+ FWIW, on sale for like 60% off.

crazycanuck

Postby crazycanuck » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:07 pm

HenryKillinger wrote:
Waterman47 wrote:

+1

Yeah pretty sure this is how it is normally done for decent shoes, unless you were in a cloggs store, in which case those are VERY office appropriate.

Waterman47

Postby Waterman47 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:08 pm

crazycanuck wrote:
HenryKillinger wrote:
Waterman47 wrote:

+1

Yeah pretty sure this is how it is normally done for decent shoes, unless you were in a cloggs store, in which case those are VERY office appropriate.

It was the Saks 5th Ave. outlet store. And they were actually quite similar to the cap-toe Allen Edmonds shoes posted a while back.

crazycanuck

Postby crazycanuck » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:10 pm

Waterman47 wrote:It was the Saks 5th Ave. outlet store. And they were actually quite similar to the cap-toe Allen Edmonds shoes posted a while back.

No idea where that is. A quick google searched showed nothing about wooden soled shoes except for clogs. The salesman might have just been playing you to try to get commission. Your wooden soled shoes should not be a talking point at the firm christmas party.

Duralex

Postby Duralex » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:11 pm

Why is that "hilariously absurd"? If you have a CCW and it's allowed I find no reason not to.

I'm sure if you're used to it, it's unremarkable. To me the idea that a gun is less out of place than a loafer in a law office is humorous. I'd think the sight of a pistol under your jacket would raise more eyebrows than the wrong shoe.

And I would think the salesman was showing you a wood heel as well. Sometimes there's a layer of rubber, sometimes it's kind of an inset wedge at the back of the heel. I don't think I've ever seen an all wood sole at any price--except as noted in clogs. Perhaps the salesman was a little confused.
Last edited by Duralex on Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Waterman47

Postby Waterman47 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:12 pm

crazycanuck wrote:
Waterman47 wrote:It was the Saks 5th Ave. outlet store. And they were actually quite similar to the cap-toe Allen Edmonds shoes posted a while back.

No idea where that is. A quick google searched showed nothing about wooden soled shoes except for clogs. The salesman might have just been playing you to try to get commission. Your wooden soled shoes should not be a talking point at the firm christmas party.

No clue what any of this means. How would anyone know what my soles were made of? And why would she think I'd be more impressed by wood than leather?

Just trying to figure out whether a) she was right that these were wooden soles and not leather, and b) whether I should buy.

Duralex

Postby Duralex » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:15 pm

He's just warning against parroting the possibly confused salesman (I think.)

Pufer

Postby Pufer » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:36 pm

Waterman47 wrote:
crazycanuck wrote:

No clue what any of this means. How would anyone know what my soles were made of? And why would she think I'd be more impressed by wood than leather?

Just trying to figure out whether a) she was right that these were wooden soles and not leather, and b) whether I should buy.

I have a pair of leather ankle boots that have soles with a fake wood grain that really does make for a passable imitation of wood (it even sounded kinda' wood-like when you tapped on it at first). The sole is actually some sort of resin that ended up being grippy as hell once it got a little wear on it without being any thicker than a leather sole.

My bet is that what you were looking at is either a wood-grain printed on a leather sole (probably more likely), or something like my resin-soled soles. I saw some cork-soled men's dress shoes once (didn't look like they would wear worth a damn), but I've never heard of other woods used to sole dress shoes.

-Pufer

Grad_Student

Postby Grad_Student » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:22 pm

Picked up these bad boys yesterday

Waterman47

Postby Waterman47 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:26 pm

Pufer wrote:
Waterman47 wrote:
crazycanuck wrote:

I have a pair of leather ankle boots that have soles with a fake wood grain that really does make for a passable imitation of wood (it even sounded kinda' wood-like when you tapped on it at first). The sole is actually some sort of resin that ended up being grippy as hell once it got a little wear on it without being any thicker than a leather sole.

My bet is that what you were looking at is either a wood-grain printed on a leather sole (probably more likely), or something like my resin-soled soles. I saw some cork-soled men's dress shoes once (didn't look like they would wear worth a damn), but I've never heard of other woods used to sole dress shoes.

-Pufer

I think it might have been the cork sole you're referring to. Around the stitching on the sole you could see that underneath the top "wooden" layer, there was some cork-like material. You know what cheap IKEA furniture looks like underneath the top layer? Like that.

The shoes were extremely nice though. Beautiful all round. Just don't want to drop ~$150 on something that might not last. I may go back up there and take some close ups of the sole to figure out what it's made of.

Postby 03121202698008 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:50 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFcqGwYEbt4

This thread reminds me of the suit song.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:06 pm

Duralex wrote:

I'm sure if you're used to it, it's unremarkable. To me the idea that a gun is less out of place than a loafer in a law office is humorous. I'd think the sight of a pistol under your jacket would raise more eyebrows than the wrong shoe.

And I would think the salesman was showing you a wood heel as well. Sometimes there's a layer of rubber, sometimes it's kind of an inset wedge at the back of the heel. I don't think I've ever seen an all wood sole at any price--except as noted in clogs. Perhaps the salesman was a little confused.

It's not a fashion accessory. When a person carries concealed, you don't see the gun.

Postby 03121202698008 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:20 pm

Bronte wrote:
Duralex wrote:

It's not a fashion accessory. When a person carries concealed, you don't see the gun.

+1.

leobowski

Postby leobowski » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:29 pm

Jeez Duralex's babbling is worthless. It's like a small child clamoring to be heard at the dinner table. Good luck with your freakin cotton khaki suits and rubber-soled loafers, goofball.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:46 pm

I've seen a few different sites mentioned here and there throughout the thread. Where are some places that you guys look for a great deals online?

Pufer

Postby Pufer » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:59 am

Gilt (if you still need to get invited to get in, hit me up), Sierra Trading Post (during their stacking newsletter coupon sales), Overstock (sometimes), and eBay (if you know what you're doing). Any site can hand you a great deal during the right sale, but you're still probably going to get the best one-off prices at the good old brick-and-mortar shopping establishment.

Edit: Actually, it appears that you no longer need to send out individualized invites to get into gilt, just click the following link and it's as if I invited you: http://www.gilt.com/invite/exocarp

-Pufer
Last edited by Pufer on Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

zettsscores40

Postby zettsscores40 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:07 am

Gilt has some DKNY suits on sale for $208 until 9 am. I wanna just get one for the lulz. I don't know much about their suits but $208 is tempting.

Waterman47

Postby Waterman47 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:18 am

The suit I posted a page or two back is on Gilt right now for $200. I paid $300, but not too salty because I would've never bought it online without trying and wouldn't have thought to wait to see if Gilt would randomly have it. Oh well.

zettsscores40

Postby zettsscores40 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:24 am

Waterman47 wrote:The suit I posted a page or two back is on Gilt right now for $200. I paid $300, but not too salty because I would've never bought it online without trying and wouldn't have thought to wait to see if Gilt would randomly have it. Oh well.

Yeah it's tempting but I'm gonna pass. All the one's I want are sold out and the ones I kind of want don't have my size. I'm also wary of this drop 7-drop 6 sizing as waist is always an issue for me. I vary depending on the brand so it's annoying as shit (same with shoes).

Really wanted to get this. Oh well.

td6624

Postby td6624 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:50 am

sweet christ this thread is intimidating.

i've never had to wear a suit in my life.

Return to “Legal Employment”