OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
romothesavior

Re: Suits (Clothing, not law)

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:24 pm

Sorry, but wading through this fragmented thread is kinda painful, so I will ask it here for whoever is willing to respond: how much should I be looking to spend on a decent, sturdy suit for law school interivews and events? (general price range)

GodSpeed

Postby GodSpeed » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:49 pm

romothesavior wrote:Sorry, but wading through this fragmented thread is kinda painful, so I will ask it here for whoever is willing to respond: how much should I be looking to spend on a decent, sturdy suit for law school interivews and events? (general price range)

$500, to throw out a number.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:53 pm

GodSpeed wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Sorry, but wading through this fragmented thread is kinda painful, so I will ask it here for whoever is willing to respond: how much should I be looking to spend on a decent, sturdy suit for law school interivews and events? (general price range)

That's about what I thought. Okay, that's helpful... thanks. I'll probably read this whole thread when I'm ready to buy. For now, I'm just trying to budget for one.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:16 pm

$500 - $800 should get you something nice that will last a long time.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:06 pm

kalvano wrote:

$500 - $800 should get you something nice that will last a long time.

Also. If you're not a member of Gilt.com or RueLaLa.com, you should be. I recently got a very nice $900 Jack Victor for $200. Just wait until a good deal comes up and pounce.

GodSpeed

Postby GodSpeed » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:36 pm

romothesavior wrote:
GodSpeed wrote:

That's about what I thought. Okay, that's helpful... thanks. I'll probably read this whole thread when I'm ready to buy. For now, I'm just trying to budget for one.

Just FYI, I've paid $300 for a suit that I absolutely love at an annual super mega clearance sale at Dilards. It's probably my 2nd or 3rd favorite suit. That isn't exactly normal though. About $500 with a decent amount of shopping around will get you a very nice suit. If you wait around for a crazy sale (Off 5th Ave just had a pretty good sale), $500 can get you a phenomenal suit.

For the record, local men's store is having a huge sale. I'm prob gonna buy a suit or two for $250/each.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:41 pm

GodSpeed wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
GodSpeed wrote:

Just FYI, I've paid $300 for a suit that I absolutely love at an annual super mega clearance sale at Dilards. It's probably my 2nd or 3rd favorite suit. That isn't exactly normal though. About $500 with a decent amount of shopping around will get you a very nice suit. If you wait around for a crazy sale (Off 5th Ave just had a pretty good sale), $500 can get you a phenomenal suit.

For the record, local men's store is having a huge sale. I'm prob gonna buy a suit or two for $250/each.

Both of my favorite suits were under $300, but they were the product of opportunistic shopping. Planning on spending $500 is good, but watch the deal sites on the internet, department store sales, etc. and maybe you'll escape cheaper.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:19 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:
GodSpeed wrote:
joeshmo39 wrote:This is slightly OT but humor me. I want to buy a dark brown pair of oxford shoes to wear with slacks or even my gray suit (it's not charcoal, but just a gray). I want something pretty conservative and fairly cheap, very cheap compared to what most people on here spend on shoes (I don't mean that as a slight, I am just cheap when it comes to clothing).

These are on sale at Macy's for 59.99, would they be a huge mistake?

http://www.shoebuy.com/bostonian-akron/ ... one-_-none

Nice shoes, but I'd suggest black if they're for an interview.

Thanks guys, I grabbed them at lunch. Some other coupon was going on so they were $53 in the end. I already have some decent black oxfords for interviews so I figured I should just get some brown shoes to have, being sort of an adult and all.

Bostonians are classic. For a lower-priced shoe, you can't do better.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:28 pm

James Bond wrote:
joeshmo39 wrote:
GodSpeed wrote:
joeshmo39 wrote:This is slightly OT but humor me. I want to buy a dark brown pair of oxford shoes to wear with slacks or even my gray suit (it's not charcoal, but just a gray). I want something pretty conservative and fairly cheap, very cheap compared to what most people on here spend on shoes (I don't mean that as a slight, I am just cheap when it comes to clothing).

These are on sale at Macy's for 59.99, would they be a huge mistake?

http://www.shoebuy.com/bostonian-akron/ ... one-_-none

Nice shoes, but I'd suggest black if they're for an interview.

Thanks guys, I grabbed them at lunch. Some other coupon was going on so they were $53 in the end. I already have some decent black oxfords for interviews so I figured I should just get some brown shoes to have, being sort of an adult and all.

Bostonians are classic. For a lower-priced shoe, you can't do better.

credited. my favorite shoe.

jrs12

Postby jrs12 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:17 am

Pufer,

I've pretty much agreed with everything that you said on this thread until the button-down rant. While the aesthetics are debateable, the BD stigma you describe is simply nonexistent in the United States at this point, at least east of the Rockies. You might as well berate people for not wearing hats outdoors. As Paul Fussell pointed out (yes, I know he wasn't right about everything), the button-down collar is now almost an upper-class calling card. It's also an extraordinarily conservative choice. Personally, I like it for business, because it seems to send the message that you're there to work, not to fuss about your clothes.

For an evening social event, sure, I'll go with a spread collar.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:28 am

jrs12 wrote:Pufer,

I've pretty much agreed with everything that you said on this thread until the button-down rant. While the aesthetics are debateable, the BD stigma you describe is simply nonexistent in the United States at this point, at least east of the Rockies. You might as well berate people for not wearing hats outdoors. As Paul Fussell pointed out (yes, I know he wasn't right about everything), the button-down collar is now almost an upper-class calling card. It's also an extraordinarily conservative choice. Personally, I like it for business, because it seems to send the message that you're there to work, not to fuss about your clothes.

For an evening social event, sure, I'll go with a spread collar.

I'm not going to find and read whatever "rant" you're talking about, but button down collars are made to be worn without a tie. That's their entire purpose. Wearing one with a tie makes you look like a dweeb, not a conservative. The rule is, buttons - no tie and tie - no buttons.

Spread collar vs. point collar is a little different. Traditionally "lower" people wore point and "higher" people in the company wore spread collars. Front office vs. back office...that sort of thing. Anymore though and it's more about matching it with the tie knot. You have to rock a double windsor with a spread collar or else it looks bare. Likewise, if you don't do a half windsor or less with a point collar, it looks too crowded.

GodSpeed

Postby GodSpeed » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:32 am

any BD collar shirt I've bought recently (not many) just aren't cut right for a tie. Whether you should or shouldn't is almost irrelevant because of their narrow and tight (up) cut.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:43 am

Obviously charcoal or navy are credited for interviews, and obviously the legal profession is very conservative in terms of dress, but do other colors come into play if you actually work for a firm? Lighter gray and olive okay for wearing around a firm?

GodSpeed

Postby GodSpeed » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:44 am

romothesavior wrote:Obviously charcoal or navy are credited for interviews, and obviously the legal profession is very conservative in terms of dress, but do other colors come into play if you actually work for a firm? Lighter gray and olive okay for wearing around a firm?

shit, they're acceptable for the courtroom.

There's a super shitty FOB African attorney that loves his gold suits and olive suits. Nothing but those with a high 3-4 button cut suits and he loves them.
Last edited by GodSpeed on Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:54 am

romothesavior wrote:Obviously charcoal or navy are credited for interviews, and obviously the legal profession is very conservative in terms of dress, but do other colors come into play if you actually work for a firm? Lighter gray and olive okay for wearing around a firm?

Even with all the hoopla here, I've never been in an office where someone wasn't wearing a black suit. Both management and workers.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:58 am

James Bond wrote:

Even with all the hoopla here, I've never been in an office where someone wasn't wearing a black suit. Both management and workers.

Yeah, this thread has made me :? a few times. I mean, I'm sure most of the advice is credited (especially with respect to interviewing attire), but I don't think the average law firm is going to look like something out of GQ.

gdane

Postby gdane » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:00 am

So shake things up a little bit.

Waterman47

Postby Waterman47 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:17 am

romothesavior wrote:
James Bond wrote:

Yeah, this thread has made me :? a few times. I mean, I'm sure most of the advice is credited (especially with respect to interviewing attire), but I don't think the average law firm is going to look like something out of GQ.

I think it's important to keep this in mind.

If your goal is to be the absolute best dressed man at the firm (at least by traditional American fashion standards), then don't dare wear a black suit, or a button down collar with a tie, etc. But if you just want to come across as a well-dressed professional, I don't think it matters at all if you throw in a black suit or a button down collar once in a while.

This same sort of "rule" approach to dressing is what bugs me about GQ. They constantly put out these little pamphlets with rules of dress - you must own X, never wear X and Y together, never wear Y in this season, etc. To me it's the same as religious commandments. Some people are clueless enough that they need to dress/live by "rules" that are handed down to them, but some can figure out how to dress well/be good people based on instinct and experimentation.

That's why whenever someone starts talking about something being an unthinkable fashion faux pas in a certain setting, I just tune them out. If it's that bad, you wouldn't need to say that it's a faux pas, everyone would know instinctively. i.e. wearing a white suit to an interview. If it's not so bad that you would know instinctively, then you're just being a hardass by trying to make it seem like some crime against humanity. If I had a nice black suit, I would wear it to work without a second thought. If I had a nice button down shirt that looked good with a particular tie/knot, I would wear it often.

Save the rules for the Bar people.

GodSpeed

Postby GodSpeed » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:20 am

Black just looks silly to met in a business setting.

Waterman47

Postby Waterman47 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:27 am

GodSpeed wrote:Black just looks silly to met in a business setting.

Inherently, or because it is said to look silly?

I mean, the difference between a charcoal/navy suit and a black suit is usually negligible.

I could understand if we were talking about tuxedos, or white suits, or even khaki suits, but we're not.

GodSpeed

Postby GodSpeed » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:44 am

Waterman47 wrote:
GodSpeed wrote:Black just looks silly to met in a business setting.

Inherently, or because it is said to look silly?

I mean, the difference between a charcoal/navy suit and a black suit is usually negligible.

I could understand if we were talking about tuxedos, or white suits, or even khaki suits, but we're not.

inherently. It just looks too... eh... i duno.. formal. On their own, it's hard to tell a difference, but when you put a light colored shirt behind it and a colored tie, it makes a big difference imo.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:32 am

Waterman47 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
James Bond wrote:

I think it's important to keep this in mind.

If your goal is to be the absolute best dressed man at the firm (at least by traditional American fashion standards), then don't dare wear a black suit, or a button down collar with a tie, etc. But if you just want to come across as a well-dressed professional, I don't think it matters at all if you throw in a black suit or a button down collar once in a while.

This same sort of "rule" approach to dressing is what bugs me about GQ. They constantly put out these little pamphlets with rules of dress - you must own X, never wear X and Y together, never wear Y in this season, etc. To me it's the same as religious commandments. Some people are clueless enough that they need to dress/live by "rules" that are handed down to them, but some can figure out how to dress well/be good people based on instinct and experimentation.

That's why whenever someone starts talking about something being an unthinkable fashion faux pas in a certain setting, I just tune them out. If it's that bad, you wouldn't need to say that it's a faux pas, everyone would know instinctively. i.e. wearing a white suit to an interview. If it's not so bad that you would know instinctively, then you're just being a hardass by trying to make it seem like some crime against humanity. If I had a nice black suit, I would wear it to work without a second thought. If I had a nice button down shirt that looked good with a particular tie/knot, I would wear it often.

Save the rules for the Bar people.

Fashion is like cooking. You can only break the rules once you've mastered them.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:40 am

Waterman47 wrote:
If it's that bad, you wouldn't need to say that it's a faux pas, everyone would know instinctively. i.e. wearing a white suit to an interview.

So I shouldn't order this white Sean John suit for networking events? :?

Back to the drawing board....

HJO

Postby HJO » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:44 am

is this tie ok for an interview, i'm not trying to wear a "fun" tie
--ImageRemoved--

GodSpeed

Postby GodSpeed » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:48 am

HJO wrote:is this tie ok for an interview, i'm not trying to wear a "fun" tie
--ImageRemoved--

It's not that it's too fun, but that it seems kinda... dainty and nancy-boyish for an interview. You want a "power tie" kinda thing going. It doesn't have that power-tie thing. It's a great office tie. I just bought a very similar tie yesterday, except the pedals are blue.

Return to “Legal Employment”