OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
Mr. Fancy
Posts: 592
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:22 pm

Re: Suits (Clothing, not law)

Postby Mr. Fancy » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:00 pm

GodSpeed wrote:
schrutebeetfarms wrote:How do you guys feel about this red stripped tie: --LinkRemoved--

I like it for these reasons:
1) I want a second red tie and one that is striped.
2) It is 2 7/8” wide. Narrow, but not actually a skinny tie. The width will go well with a slim cut suit while stilling being conservative enough for an interview.
3) Last but not least, It is half off.



for an interview? No way.


Do you have a suggestion for a red stripped tie online? I noticed that you posted yours a few pages back.

User avatar
GodSpeed
Posts: 245
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:05 pm

Re: Suits (Clothing, not law)

Postby GodSpeed » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:18 pm

http://www.thetiebar.com/order_page.asp ... sTiesOnly=

http://www.thetiebar.com/order_page.asp ... iesOnly%3D

Just go to Neiman's, Nordstrom etc and ask for a power tie for an interview.

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Suits (Clothing, not law)

Postby lisjjen » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:46 pm

schrutebeetfarms wrote:How do you guys feel about this red stripped tie: --LinkRemoved--

I like it for these reasons:
1) I want a second red tie and one that is striped.
2) It is 2 7/8” wide. Narrow, but not actually a skinny tie. The width will go well with a slim cut suit while stilling being conservative enough for an interview.
3) Last but not least, It is half off.



It looks great, but if you stay on this thread long enough, they'll talk you into dressing like an old man to interviews... which makes sense, because you will be interviewed by old men.

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Suits (Clothing, not law)

Postby lisjjen » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:47 pm

betasteve wrote:Nothing is wrong with a windsor for legal interview - if you have a really narrow face it may look a little odd and you may want to go with a half or a four in hand.



Exactly. And I have a huge face.

User avatar
joeshmo39
Posts: 533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:15 am

Re: Suits (Clothing, not law)

Postby joeshmo39 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:54 am

This is slightly OT but humor me. I want to buy a dark brown pair of oxford shoes to wear with slacks or even my gray suit (it's not charcoal, but just a gray). I want something pretty conservative and fairly cheap, very cheap compared to what most people on here spend on shoes (I don't mean that as a slight, I am just cheap when it comes to clothing).

These are on sale at Macy's for 59.99, would they be a huge mistake?

http://www.shoebuy.com/bostonian-akron/ ... one-_-none

User avatar
GodSpeed
Posts: 245
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:05 pm

Re: Suits (Clothing, not law)

Postby GodSpeed » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:47 am

lisjjen wrote:
schrutebeetfarms wrote:How do you guys feel about this red stripped tie: --LinkRemoved--

I like it for these reasons:
1) I want a second red tie and one that is striped.
2) It is 2 7/8” wide. Narrow, but not actually a skinny tie. The width will go well with a slim cut suit while stilling being conservative enough for an interview.
3) Last but not least, It is half off.



It looks great, but if you stay on this thread long enough, they'll talk you into dressing like an old man to interviews... which makes sense, because you will be interviewed by old men.

You just have no idea what is and isn't appropriate.

User avatar
leobowski
Posts: 511
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:11 am

Re: Suits (Clothing, not law)

Postby leobowski » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:08 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:This is slightly OT but humor me. I want to buy a dark brown pair of oxford shoes to wear with slacks or even my gray suit (it's not charcoal, but just a gray). I want something pretty conservative and fairly cheap, very cheap compared to what most people on here spend on shoes (I don't mean that as a slight, I am just cheap when it comes to clothing).

These are on sale at Macy's for 59.99, would they be a huge mistake?

http://www.shoebuy.com/bostonian-akron/ ... one-_-none



I had some very similar Bostonian cap-toes. They're not terrible, kind of comfy actually. The leather quality isn't great though. They will wrinkle/crease pretty bad. Definitely get some soft leather cream and shoe-trees to help with this. And watch out if you live in a cold climate because those shoes are flat-soled and literally have zero traction on ice.

User avatar
zettsscores40
Posts: 2118
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:49 pm

Re: Suits (Clothing, not law)

Postby zettsscores40 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:11 pm

lisjjen wrote:
schrutebeetfarms wrote:How do you guys feel about this red stripped tie: --LinkRemoved--

I like it for these reasons:
1) I want a second red tie and one that is striped.
2) It is 2 7/8” wide. Narrow, but not actually a skinny tie. The width will go well with a slim cut suit while stilling being conservative enough for an interview.
3) Last but not least, It is half off.



It looks great, but if you stay on this thread long enough, they'll talk you into dressing like an old man to interviews... which makes sense, because you will be interviewed by old men.


Your interviews are going to be comedy gold.

User avatar
GodSpeed
Posts: 245
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:05 pm

Re: Suits (Clothing, not law)

Postby GodSpeed » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:27 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:This is slightly OT but humor me. I want to buy a dark brown pair of oxford shoes to wear with slacks or even my gray suit (it's not charcoal, but just a gray). I want something pretty conservative and fairly cheap, very cheap compared to what most people on here spend on shoes (I don't mean that as a slight, I am just cheap when it comes to clothing).

These are on sale at Macy's for 59.99, would they be a huge mistake?

http://www.shoebuy.com/bostonian-akron/ ... one-_-none


Nice shoes, but I'd suggest black if they're for an interview.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Suits (Clothing, not law)

Postby kalvano » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:19 pm

lisjjen wrote:
schrutebeetfarms wrote:How do you guys feel about this red stripped tie: --LinkRemoved--

I like it for these reasons:
1) I want a second red tie and one that is striped.
2) It is 2 7/8” wide. Narrow, but not actually a skinny tie. The width will go well with a slim cut suit while stilling being conservative enough for an interview.
3) Last but not least, It is half off.



It looks great, but if you stay on this thread long enough, they'll talk you into dressing like an old man to interviews... which makes sense, because you will be interviewed by old men.



No, it actually looks awful no matter how old you are.

User avatar
Cactus
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:05 pm

Re: Suits (Clothing, not law)

Postby Cactus » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:27 pm

kalvano wrote:
lisjjen wrote:
schrutebeetfarms wrote:How do you guys feel about this red stripped tie: --LinkRemoved--

I like it for these reasons:
1) I want a second red tie and one that is striped.
2) It is 2 7/8” wide. Narrow, but not actually a skinny tie. The width will go well with a slim cut suit while stilling being conservative enough for an interview.
3) Last but not least, It is half off.



It looks great, but if you stay on this thread long enough, they'll talk you into dressing like an old man to interviews... which makes sense, because you will be interviewed by old men.



No, it actually looks awful no matter how old you are.


This.

The tie is downright hideous. Unless you would prefer to look like Ryan Seacrest than a competent professional with discerning tastes, stay away from slim ties entirely. Just because Brooks is selling them, doesn't mean they're acceptable. As an aside, you're better off at J. Press (for most things outside of shirts, I'm still a sucker for BB shirts) than Brooks anyways. Brooks, albeit still a great brand, has lost some of its cache.
Last edited by Cactus on Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

nontradintexas
Posts: 153
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:01 am

Re: Suits (Clothing, not law)

Postby nontradintexas » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:30 pm

GodSpeed wrote:
joeshmo39 wrote:This is slightly OT but humor me. I want to buy a dark brown pair of oxford shoes to wear with slacks or even my gray suit (it's not charcoal, but just a gray). I want something pretty conservative and fairly cheap, very cheap compared to what most people on here spend on shoes (I don't mean that as a slight, I am just cheap when it comes to clothing).

These are on sale at Macy's for 59.99, would they be a huge mistake?

http://www.shoebuy.com/bostonian-akron/ ... one-_-none


Nice shoes, but I'd suggest black if they're for an interview.


+1

I have a pair of Bostonians, and they are the most comfortable dress shoes I've ever owned. I've only had them for about 6 months, so I can't address their longevity. But hey, if they only last 2-3 years they'll get you through what you need them for now, and you can buy more expensive ones when you're actually employed.

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Suits (Clothing, not law)

Postby lisjjen » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:07 pm

GodSpeed wrote:
lisjjen wrote:
schrutebeetfarms wrote:How do you guys feel about this red stripped tie: --LinkRemoved--

I like it for these reasons:
1) I want a second red tie and one that is striped.
2) It is 2 7/8” wide. Narrow, but not actually a skinny tie. The width will go well with a slim cut suit while stilling being conservative enough for an interview.
3) Last but not least, It is half off.



It looks great, but if you stay on this thread long enough, they'll talk you into dressing like an old man to interviews... which makes sense, because you will be interviewed by old men.

You just have no idea what is and isn't appropriate.



Actually I think I conceded a couple of pages ago. I get the charity ball vs. interview thing, even though I have had successful interviews before.

User avatar
joeshmo39
Posts: 533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:15 am

Re: Suits (Clothing, not law)

Postby joeshmo39 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:10 pm

GodSpeed wrote:
joeshmo39 wrote:This is slightly OT but humor me. I want to buy a dark brown pair of oxford shoes to wear with slacks or even my gray suit (it's not charcoal, but just a gray). I want something pretty conservative and fairly cheap, very cheap compared to what most people on here spend on shoes (I don't mean that as a slight, I am just cheap when it comes to clothing).

These are on sale at Macy's for 59.99, would they be a huge mistake?

http://www.shoebuy.com/bostonian-akron/ ... one-_-none


Nice shoes, but I'd suggest black if they're for an interview.


Thanks guys, I grabbed them at lunch. Some other coupon was going on so they were $53 in the end. I already have some decent black oxfords for interviews so I figured I should just get some brown shoes to have, being sort of an adult and all.

lonerightly
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Suits (Clothing, not law)

Postby lonerightly » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:59 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:
GodSpeed wrote:
joeshmo39 wrote:This is slightly OT but humor me. I want to buy a dark brown pair of oxford shoes to wear with slacks or even my gray suit (it's not charcoal, but just a gray). I want something pretty conservative and fairly cheap, very cheap compared to what most people on here spend on shoes (I don't mean that as a slight, I am just cheap when it comes to clothing).

These are on sale at Macy's for 59.99, would they be a huge mistake?

http://www.shoebuy.com/bostonian-akron/ ... one-_-none


Nice shoes, but I'd suggest black if they're for an interview.


Thanks guys, I grabbed them at lunch. Some other coupon was going on so they were $53 in the end. I already have some decent black oxfords for interviews so I figured I should just get some brown shoes to have, being sort of an adult and all.


Guess I am too late, but maybe someone else can benefit so... Norstrom Anniversary sale started today and you can get a pair of AE Park Avenues for less than 200$ which is a great deal.

User avatar
BunkMoreland
Posts: 289
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:16 pm

Re: Suits (Clothing, not law)

Postby BunkMoreland » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:45 am

^ +1

Just bought a one-time worn pair of AE Park Avenues. They are beautiful and so comfortable.

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Suits (Clothing, not law)

Postby lisjjen » Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:19 am

Cactus wrote:
kalvano wrote:
lisjjen wrote:
schrutebeetfarms wrote:How do you guys feel about this red stripped tie: --LinkRemoved--

I like it for these reasons:
1) I want a second red tie and one that is striped.
2) It is 2 7/8” wide. Narrow, but not actually a skinny tie. The width will go well with a slim cut suit while stilling being conservative enough for an interview.
3) Last but not least, It is half off.



It looks great, but if you stay on this thread long enough, they'll talk you into dressing like an old man to interviews... which makes sense, because you will be interviewed by old men.



No, it actually looks awful no matter how old you are.


This.

The tie is downright hideous. Unless you would prefer to look like Ryan Seacrest than a competent professional with discerning tastes, stay away from slim ties entirely. Just because Brooks is selling them, doesn't mean they're acceptable. As an aside, you're better off at J. Press (for most things outside of shirts, I'm still a sucker for BB shirts) than Brooks anyways. Brooks, albeit still a great brand, has lost some of its cache.



I really wasn't being sarcastic. Age brings dignity. I personally think that tie looks sporty. So if you want to wear it to an appropriate venue and you can pull off the preppy look more power to you. I know I can't. When you're trying to ensure established wealth (an interviewing partner) that you can be trusted with some of their money, the aforementioned Ryan Seacrest look prolly isn't what you're going for.

User avatar
GodSpeed
Posts: 245
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:05 pm

Re: Suits (Clothing, not law)

Postby GodSpeed » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:51 pm

That tie would look good with a polo button down (their not-really dress shirts, but button down shirts) and sport coat. It doesn't belong anywhere near a suit.

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Suits (Clothing, not law)

Postby lisjjen » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:39 pm

GodSpeed wrote:That tie would look good with a polo button down (their not-really dress shirts, but button down shirts) and sport coat. It doesn't belong anywhere near a suit.


Since I would look ridiculous with that, I'll have to find something else to wear to the sailing club mixer. You said I wanted to dress like a GQ model. I think NFL draft pick is closer - but not to anything where high stakes are involved, aka an interview. I came out swinging like a douche, but I no longer support my original position.

User avatar
Pufer
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:32 am

Re: Suits (Clothing, not law)

Postby Pufer » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:08 pm

lisjjen wrote:
GodSpeed wrote:That tie would look good with a polo button down (their not-really dress shirts, but button down shirts) and sport coat. It doesn't belong anywhere near a suit.


Since I would look ridiculous with that, I'll have to find something else to wear to the sailing club mixer. You said I wanted to dress like a GQ model. I think NFL draft pick is closer - but not to anything where high stakes are involved, aka an interview. I came out swinging like a douche, but I no longer support my original position.


Good, because that tie isn't preppy - the design is from the wrong decade (the solid color bars are too wide - this is one of the problems with shopping at Brooks, they still have their shit from like five decades ago on their shelves). That tie is made for 70-year-old lawyers who never made it out of the 60s, and wander around wearing skinny suits with skinny lapels, button-down collars, a crew cut, and plastic browline glasses (there's a pile of such lawyers in every city in the US; in other words, GS is entirely correct).

I mean, shit isn't even the "Mad Men is so awesome, let's make a style trend out of idealized 60's garb" stuff, it's "I inherited an old-ass tie when my grandfather died and I'm a big enough schmuck to actually wear it in public unironically."

-Pufer

User avatar
Waterman47
Posts: 176
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:44 pm

Re: Suits (Clothing, not law)

Postby Waterman47 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:48 pm

GodSpeed wrote:http://www.thetiebar.com/order_page.asp?pn=11307&orderPageReturn=%2FcategoryPages%2FBurgundy_Red_Ties.asp&pg=1&i=90&xlOnly=&boysTiesOnly=

http://www.thetiebar.com/order_page.asp ... iesOnly%3D

Just go to Neiman's, Nordstrom etc and ask for a power tie for an interview.


*The following rant might be a byproduct of my frustrations with the job search in general.*

If you have no personality, or are willing to wear whatever costume is required of you in order to land a firm job, then by all means go to Nieman's or Nordstrom and ask for a power tie for an interview. But keep sight of what this sort of attitude brings with it. If you feel that you need to wear a certain tie for an interview, and that if you wear a slightly different, yet still quite conservative tie to that same interview, your chances of landing the job will suffer, prepare yourself for a career of blind conformity. In fact, to really make sure you sweep the interviewer off his feet, go to an expensive salon and ask for an interview haircut, shave off all facial hair, wear a white dress shirt with a navy/charcoal suit, black belt and shoes, and black socks. Carry a leather portfolio with your resume and references inside, and have a big smile on your face. In short, make yourself as physically indistinguishable from your peers as possible. Do this to prepare yourself for a career in which you will be largely indistinguishable from the numerous other associates with whom you'll be slaving away 12/hrs a day.

Or, wear whatever tie you like, within the bounds of a professional dress code, and resist the fear of showing some hints of your character through your physical appearance. If the interviewer is so put-off by the stripes on your tie that he no longer views your candidacy objectively, maybe you're lucky to have escaped a future with that firm.

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12331
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: Suits (Clothing, not law)

Postby gdane » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:57 pm

Oh snap! Check out this one. Awesome Cadillac logo. Haha!

Image

User avatar
zettsscores40
Posts: 2118
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:49 pm

Re: Suits (Clothing, not law)

Postby zettsscores40 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:10 pm

lol @ JaMarcus Russell.

User avatar
GodSpeed
Posts: 245
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:05 pm

Re: Suits (Clothing, not law)

Postby GodSpeed » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:48 pm

Waterman47 wrote:
GodSpeed wrote:http://www.thetiebar.com/order_page.asp?pn=11307&orderPageReturn=%2FcategoryPages%2FBurgundy_Red_Ties.asp&pg=1&i=90&xlOnly=&boysTiesOnly=

http://www.thetiebar.com/order_page.asp ... iesOnly%3D

Just go to Neiman's, Nordstrom etc and ask for a power tie for an interview.


*The following rant might be a byproduct of my frustrations with the job search in general.*

If you have no personality, or are willing to wear whatever costume is required of you in order to land a firm job, then by all means go to Nieman's or Nordstrom and ask for a power tie for an interview. But keep sight of what this sort of attitude brings with it. If you feel that you need to wear a certain tie for an interview, and that if you wear a slightly different, yet still quite conservative tie to that same interview, your chances of landing the job will suffer, prepare yourself for a career of blind conformity. In fact, to really make sure you sweep the interviewer off his feet, go to an expensive salon and ask for an interview haircut, shave off all facial hair, wear a white dress shirt with a navy/charcoal suit, black belt and shoes, and black socks. Carry a leather portfolio with your resume and references inside, and have a big smile on your face. In short, make yourself as physically indistinguishable from your peers as possible. Do this to prepare yourself for a career in which you will be largely indistinguishable from the numerous other associates with whom you'll be slaving away 12/hrs a day.

Or, wear whatever tie you like, within the bounds of a professional dress code, and resist the fear of showing some hints of your character through your physical appearance. If the interviewer is so put-off by the stripes on your tie that he no longer views your candidacy objectively, maybe you're lucky to have escaped a future with that firm.

I want them to think "Holy fuck, that dude is professional! He'd do a great job here!" and not "Holy fuck! That bro is cool! I bet he'd be a lot of fun to have around!"

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Suits (Clothing, not law)

Postby Renzo » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:16 pm

GodSpeed wrote:I want them to think "Holy fuck, that dude is professional! He'd do a great job here!" and not "Holy fuck! That bro is cool! I bet he'd be a lot of fun to have around!"

Personally, I want them to think, "this guy's lost; he's obviously an attorney here to interview applicants, just like me."




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.