OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
aIvin adams

Re: Suits (Clothing, not law)

Postby aIvin adams » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:25 pm

zettsscores40 wrote:What's the rule on a 3 button? I know never bottom no matter what but on 3 button is it middle only or top two?

either, but no bottom button under any circumstances.

for perspective, i still like pleats.

Bronte wrote:How important is it to have a good suit or pair of suits 1L year?

Reading through this thread and others (e.g., "Necessities for Law School"), I've come to the conclusion that my suit is bad news for law firm interviews. I have a Calvin Klein midnight blue suit with light pin-striping that I bought off the rack at Macy's. This seems to violate pretty much every consensus rule in this thread and elsewhere.

However, will it cut it for 1L? I'd love to get a bespoke suit--and there's allegedly a great place in my home town that does them for $900 - $2,000--but I'm thinking it would be more economical to get a solid navy and a solid charcoal at Brooks Brothers on a two-for-one. Can this wait until winter break?

i dont know about law school but i highly advise waiting to buy a suit until you can afford a good one. its like buying a car-- you dont need the most expensive suit, but if you go cheap you won't get yer money's worth. a camelhair suit with a full 'canvas' will cost a lot but it will last forever and you can wear it in almost any weather (which is important if you live in extreme weather like me). so i'd stick w yer OTR macy's until yer ready to do the thing.

i like camelhair and its gotta have a

BunkMoreland

Postby BunkMoreland » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:04 am

HenryKillinger wrote:
amyLAchemist wrote:In addition to being OCI appropriate, men in conservative suits are hot. Yet another reason to follow the advice of GodSpeed.

I am a fan of charcoal suit, plain maroon tie, white shirt. And please make sure your jacket sleeves are shorter than your shirt sleeves. And polish your spiffy black shoes. And wear a friggin belt. Oh, how I love observing OCI.

Who wouldn't wear a belt? Even if you're pants are the right size, isn't it kind of a requirement for suits?

I hate belts, as I feel constrained to match shoes to them. I can't wear to wear SUSPENDERS like an asshole lawyer :D

cranberry

Postby cranberry » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:03 am

thalassocrat wrote:Along those lines, does anyone have any tips on where to find good suits for women at good prices? I'd prefer three piece options (jacket/skirt/pants), but anything will help.

BCBG. Go to the BCBG store, try on things to figure out your size, then shop online or in-store at Macy's or other dept stores that carry BCBG. Their stuff is awesome, comes in lots of different pieces, and goes on sale a lot at department stores and outlets. Plus Macy's has had everything on clearance for ages now.

Mr. Fancy

Postby Mr. Fancy » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:19 pm

Does anyone have a recommendation for a slim fit/fitted white dress shirt that is moderately priced? I already have a really nice tailored one, but unfortunately it has French cuffs (I don’t want to wear cuff links to interviews).

GodSpeed

Postby GodSpeed » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:31 pm

schrutebeetfarms wrote:Does anyone have a recommendation for a slim fit/fitted white dress shirt that is moderately priced? I already have a really nice tailored one, but unfortunately it has French cuffs (I don’t want to wear cuff links to interviews).

I have this problem too. Fucking fat americans. I am tired of paying $100 for a plain white button down just because its not made for fat salesmen.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:33 pm

schrutebeetfarms wrote:Does anyone have a recommendation for a slim fit/fitted white dress shirt that is moderately priced? I already have a really nice tailored one, but unfortunately it has French cuffs (I don’t want to wear cuff links to interviews).

Brooks Brothers non-iron slim fit. Great shirts.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatSect ... ion_Id=205

Mr. Fancy

Postby Mr. Fancy » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:38 pm

GodSpeed wrote:

I have this problem too. Fucking fat americans. I am tired of paying $100 for a plain white button down just because its not made for fat salesmen.

word. jos. a. bank has a slim fit shirt for $80, but I am not sure if it is worth it as I have never bought anything form them. http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/Pr ... 050_101903

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:39 pm

schrutebeetfarms wrote:
GodSpeed wrote:

word. jos. a. bank has a slim fit shirt for $80, but I am not sure if it is worth it as I have never bought anything form them. http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/Pr ... 050_101903

It's not. The Brooks Brothers shirt is 100X better. I've had both.

Mr. Fancy

Postby Mr. Fancy » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:43 pm

kalvano wrote:
schrutebeetfarms wrote:
GodSpeed wrote:

It's not. The Brooks Brothers shirt is 100X better. I've had both.

Cool. Thanks. Just saw your post. That is a pretty reasonable price too.

Mr. Fancy

Postby Mr. Fancy » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:48 pm

kalvano wrote:

What is the difference between these two?

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatProd ... ctionsize=

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:49 pm

schrutebeetfarms wrote:
kalvano wrote:

Different fabric, I think.

Mr. Fancy

Postby Mr. Fancy » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:51 pm

kalvano wrote:
schrutebeetfarms wrote:
kalvano wrote:

ehhh. I probably just need to actually go into the store this weekend then.

Thomas Jefferson

Postby Thomas Jefferson » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:53 pm

kalvano wrote:
schrutebeetfarms wrote:
kalvano wrote:

Different collar, as well.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:55 pm

schrutebeetfarms wrote:ehhh. I probably just need to actually go into the store this weekend then.

Yeah, you don't save any money online, and some of the designs look a lot better in person.

My favorite shirts, though. Even more so than my custom-made ones.

It's awesome to be able throw them in the wash and then the dryer and they come out looking perfectly pressed.

Awesome.

Thomas Jefferson

Postby Thomas Jefferson » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:56 pm

GodSpeed wrote:

+ 10000000

Also, Brooks Brothers now has extra slim fit dress shirts. I can't wait to try these out.

Mr. Fancy

Postby Mr. Fancy » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:02 pm

Thomas Jefferson wrote:
GodSpeed wrote:

+ 10000000

Also, Brooks Brothers now has extra slim fit dress shirts. I can't wait to try these out.

I would prefer this extra slim fit to the normal slim fit because according to their sizing guide, the sleeves are narrower on the extra slim fit, while on the normal slim fit they are unchanged from the traditional fit. I hate baggy arms. However, I have an athletic build so I am worried it might be too skinny. Hmmm

Thomas Jefferson

Postby Thomas Jefferson » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:20 pm

schrutebeetfarms wrote:
Thomas Jefferson wrote:
GodSpeed wrote:

+ 10000000

I would prefer this extra slim fit to the normal slim fit because according to their sizing guide, the sleeves are narrower on the extra slim fit, while on the normal slim fit they are unchanged from the traditional fit. I hate baggy arms. However, I have an athletic build so I am worried it might be too skinny. Hmmm

I think you should be alright given how generously cut BB shirts are to begin with. But you should probably go into a store to see instead of buying online.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:20 am

schrutebeetfarms wrote: I would prefer this extra slim fit to the normal slim fit because according to their sizing guide, the sleeves are narrower on the extra slim fit, while on the normal slim fit they are unchanged from the traditional fit. I hate baggy arms. However, I have an athletic build so I am worried it might be too skinny. Hmmm

I have this exact same problem! I just recently lost the lineman gut but I still have the lineman arms. On a similar note, getting a suit coat that will fit around my chest without falling around my midsection like a kimono is a challenge.

I just got a Jack Victor for 75% off. Going to the tailor as soon as the Fedex guy gets here, but I guess that's what you're supposed to do with a suit anyways.

tinman

Postby tinman » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:51 am

BunkMoreland wrote:lol @ windsor to a law firm interview

What's wrong with a Windsor knot for law interview?

Also, what do you all think of colored shirt (blue or something else) under the suit for men?

And I have a suit that was custom made when I was abroad? It's sort of gray with strips. Will that work?
Do I need more than one suit?

Mr. Fancy

Postby Mr. Fancy » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:52 am

tinman wrote:
BunkMoreland wrote:lol @ windsor to a law firm interview

What's wrong with a Windsor knot for law interview?

Also, what do you all think of colored shirt (blue or something else) under the suit for men?

And I have a suit that was custom made when I was abroad? It's sort of gray with strips. Will that work?
Do I need more than one suit?

GQ and other "fashion" magazines hate on the windsor. However, the legal profession dress is pretty conservative. If you like that knot, you are fine wearing it to an interview. Just make sure it is well tied.

A light blue shirt is okay. However, nothing beats white.

What color grey is the suit? If its charcoal you are fine. If it is medium to light grey, it may not be alright for an interview. Also, make sure that the pinstripes are fine point.

All you really need is one suit. Everything more is a luxury. If you have the money, buy a navy suit. If not and your grey suit is charcoal, don’t worry about it.

Mr. Fancy

Postby Mr. Fancy » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:56 am

How do you guys feel about this red stripped tie: --LinkRemoved--

I like it for these reasons:
1) I want a second red tie and one that is striped.
2) It is 2 7/8” wide. Narrow, but not actually a skinny tie. The width will go well with a slim cut suit while stilling being conservative enough for an interview.
3) Last but not least, It is half off.

grobbelski

Postby grobbelski » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:12 am

schrutebeetfarms wrote:How do you guys feel about this red stripped tie: --LinkRemoved--

2) It is 2 7/8” wide. Narrow, but not actually a skinny tie. The width will go well with a slim cut suit while stilling being conservative enough for an interview.

I think you could find a significantly better red tie.

HenryKillinger

Postby HenryKillinger » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:14 am

schrutebeetfarms wrote:How do you guys feel about this red stripped tie: --LinkRemoved--

I'm not a fan. The stripes are spaced too far apart.

GodSpeed

Postby GodSpeed » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:37 pm

for an interview? No way.

spondee

Postby spondee » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:48 pm

I have a question about tailoring. I'm headed to Brooks Brothers this weekend to (probably) buy a suit or two for OCI but I know going in that I'll need it adjusted. Is their on-site tailoring any good?

Return to “Legal Employment”