OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Effingham » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:00 pm

RareExports wrote:Any thoughts on glasses vs. contacts? I'm comfortable either way. My eyes are set in a little more than the average person's, so the glasses balance that some, but I don't want an interviewer thinking I'm too lazy to put in contacts.

I went back and forth on this for awhile because I thought my glasses made me look smarter. I ended up leaving my glasses in a different state on accident and I think it probably helped because I was more comfortable in contacts. Do whichever is most comfortable for you (and this applies to almost everything in this thread), your demeanor and eye contact in the interview will be more of a factor than whatever perceptions other people might have about glasses.

Postby the-american-guy » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:44 am

BVest wrote:
I concede I've never had to shop for shorter suits; I've been average my entire adult life (40R then 42R; 32-35 W; 31 inseam), so take this with a grain of salt, but I do a lot of shopping at the high-end outlets (Last Call, Rack, Off 5th, Barney's outlet). It's rare that I make a good find there because I'm so average. What they have a ton of -- in suits and prices that I envy -- are sizes for shorter folks or giant folks. Those places can take some time and can be frustrating, but when they pay off, it's amazing.

I prefer to go to the brick and mortar and spend a couple quiet hours looking and trying on, but they all have a good online presence now too. The other good thing about the online presence is that a lot of them used to be all-sales-final and had no competition because they didn't locate in the same places physically, but now they've gone to normal 90-day return policies, so you could pick up a few suits you think might work and talk to your tailor about which would be best before returning the others.

Thanks, I will definitely look into a few outlets. I have an outlet mall close to my home town, so I should have done that when I was home a few months ago, but I'm sure I can find one around here.

I think the height thing isn't so much of an issue as the overall size part. I can get pants tailored. But getting jackets tailored tends to be a little more difficult, at least according to the few tailors I have spoken to. But definitely thanks for the advice!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:13 am

Starting as a first year in a couple weeks and wanted to up my fashion game for when I start. By skimming this thread I found the general advice on suits and shoes, but I wanted some help with business casual attire. My firm is business casual and I plan on slacks, button up, and a tie. First, how many pairs of slacks and shirts should I get? Second, what's the general advice for brand of slacks? I am clueless about fashion and don't want to end up wearing what is perceived to be a cheap brand of pants. Particularly, should I just buy several extra pairs of the same slacks as the suit so that I can easily just put on my jacket if a full suit is necessary? Finally, what colors of shirts are generally appropriate? I tend to favor conservative blue and white shirts with minimal patterns, but now that I actually have a full-time job, I wouldn't mind being a little more adventurous regarding shirt color and pattern. I appreciate this thread and I am sure some of these questions are answered in it, but it is difficult to navigate through the entire thread and any advice on my situation would be welcome.

Postby WinSome » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:15 am

Accidental anon. Above is me.

Postby mvp99 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:31 am

I wouldnlose the tie and keep one at my desk with a jacket.. tie shirt w/o top looks funny

Postby WinSome » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:11 am

mvp99 wrote:I wouldnlose the tie and keep one at my desk with a jacket.. tie shirt w/o top looks funny

Thanks! I generally agree that no tie looks better without the suit jacket but like to play it safe. It's good to know that no tie is also okay and decreases my tie budget.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:46 am

Wearing a tie with no jacket is weird and should be avoided. You'll look like an IT guy or a clueless intern.

Return to “Legal Employment”