OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Effingham

Bronze
Posts: 171
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:40 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Effingham » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:00 pm

RareExports wrote:Any thoughts on glasses vs. contacts? I'm comfortable either way. My eyes are set in a little more than the average person's, so the glasses balance that some, but I don't want an interviewer thinking I'm too lazy to put in contacts.


I went back and forth on this for awhile because I thought my glasses made me look smarter. I ended up leaving my glasses in a different state on accident and I think it probably helped because I was more comfortable in contacts. Do whichever is most comfortable for you (and this applies to almost everything in this thread), your demeanor and eye contact in the interview will be more of a factor than whatever perceptions other people might have about glasses.

User avatar
the-american-guy

New
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:59 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby the-american-guy » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:44 am

BVest wrote:
I concede I've never had to shop for shorter suits; I've been average my entire adult life (40R then 42R; 32-35 W; 31 inseam), so take this with a grain of salt, but I do a lot of shopping at the high-end outlets (Last Call, Rack, Off 5th, Barney's outlet). It's rare that I make a good find there because I'm so average. What they have a ton of -- in suits and prices that I envy -- are sizes for shorter folks or giant folks. Those places can take some time and can be frustrating, but when they pay off, it's amazing.

I prefer to go to the brick and mortar and spend a couple quiet hours looking and trying on, but they all have a good online presence now too. The other good thing about the online presence is that a lot of them used to be all-sales-final and had no competition because they didn't locate in the same places physically, but now they've gone to normal 90-day return policies, so you could pick up a few suits you think might work and talk to your tailor about which would be best before returning the others.

Thanks, I will definitely look into a few outlets. I have an outlet mall close to my home town, so I should have done that when I was home a few months ago, but I'm sure I can find one around here.

I think the height thing isn't so much of an issue as the overall size part. I can get pants tailored. But getting jackets tailored tends to be a little more difficult, at least according to the few tailors I have spoken to. But definitely thanks for the advice!

Anonymous User
Posts: 321027
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:13 am

Starting as a first year in a couple weeks and wanted to up my fashion game for when I start. By skimming this thread I found the general advice on suits and shoes, but I wanted some help with business casual attire. My firm is business casual and I plan on slacks, button up, and a tie. First, how many pairs of slacks and shirts should I get? Second, what's the general advice for brand of slacks? I am clueless about fashion and don't want to end up wearing what is perceived to be a cheap brand of pants. Particularly, should I just buy several extra pairs of the same slacks as the suit so that I can easily just put on my jacket if a full suit is necessary? Finally, what colors of shirts are generally appropriate? I tend to favor conservative blue and white shirts with minimal patterns, but now that I actually have a full-time job, I wouldn't mind being a little more adventurous regarding shirt color and pattern. I appreciate this thread and I am sure some of these questions are answered in it, but it is difficult to navigate through the entire thread and any advice on my situation would be welcome.

WinSome

New
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon May 02, 2016 5:50 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby WinSome » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:15 am

Accidental anon. Above is me.

mvp99

Silver
Posts: 1424
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:00 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby mvp99 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:31 am

I wouldnlose the tie and keep one at my desk with a jacket.. tie shirt w/o top looks funny

WinSome

New
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon May 02, 2016 5:50 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby WinSome » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:11 am

mvp99 wrote:I wouldnlose the tie and keep one at my desk with a jacket.. tie shirt w/o top looks funny


Thanks! I generally agree that no tie looks better without the suit jacket but like to play it safe. It's good to know that no tie is also okay and decreases my tie budget.

Danger Zone

Platinum
Posts: 8260
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Danger Zone » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:46 am

Wearing a tie with no jacket is weird and should be avoided. You'll look like an IT guy or a clueless intern.
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yose1970

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:55 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Yose1970 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:04 pm

I prefer you should choose dark navy colored suit with 2 button and palets.

Anonymous User
Posts: 321027
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:48 pm

I am looking for a recommendation for medium to dark grey over-the-calf dress socks. I love the Gold Toe Metropolitan socks and own pairs in black and blue, but they don't make them in grey. Any recommendations? Prefer somewhere between $5-15 per pair.

Danger Zone

Platinum
Posts: 8260
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Danger Zone » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:20 pm

Bombas are the best fucking socks I've ever owned. They are not cheap though.
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lolwat

Silver
Posts: 1216
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:30 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby lolwat » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am looking for a recommendation for medium to dark grey over-the-calf dress socks. I love the Gold Toe Metropolitan socks and own pairs in black and blue, but they don't make them in grey. Any recommendations? Prefer somewhere between $5-15 per pair.


pantherella or bresciani stuff on sale

User avatar
jumbocolumbo

Bronze
Posts: 266
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:54 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby jumbocolumbo » Wed May 09, 2018 9:36 am

Is the J-Crew Factory light charcoal suit too light? I'll be at a mid-size southern market this summer fwiw.
https://factory.jcrew.com/p/mens-clothing/suiting/suiting/slimfit-thompson-suit-jacket-in-voyager-wool/G6752?color_name=light-charcoal

Anonymous User
Posts: 321027
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:58 pm

What's a good place to get relatively inexpensive made to measure suits? What's a good price range that I should expect to spend?

Anonymous User
Posts: 321027
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What's a good place to get relatively inexpensive made to measure suits? What's a good price range that I should expect to spend?


Suitsupply has a MTM program (in some stores) that is pretty good for the price. Range, depending on fabric, from $1000-$1500. Places that you traditionally think of as MTM like Canali, Zegna, etc. are probably starting around $2500-$3k and can be much much more.

Places like Indochino are technically MTM (maybe even bespoke? I've never had one of their suits), but I believe they are of significantly lower quality than Suitsupply, and aren't much cheaper.

JohnnieSockran

Bronze
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 1:07 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby JohnnieSockran » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Starting as a first year in a couple weeks and wanted to up my fashion game for when I start. By skimming this thread I found the general advice on suits and shoes, but I wanted some help with business casual attire. My firm is business casual and I plan on slacks, button up, and a tie. First, how many pairs of slacks and shirts should I get? Second, what's the general advice for brand of slacks? I am clueless about fashion and don't want to end up wearing what is perceived to be a cheap brand of pants. Particularly, should I just buy several extra pairs of the same slacks as the suit so that I can easily just put on my jacket if a full suit is necessary? Finally, what colors of shirts are generally appropriate? I tend to favor conservative blue and white shirts with minimal patterns, but now that I actually have a full-time job, I wouldn't mind being a little more adventurous regarding shirt color and pattern. I appreciate this thread and I am sure some of these questions are answered in it, but it is difficult to navigate through the entire thread and any advice on my situation would be welcome.


Go to Bonobos and buy a bunch of dress pants and dress shirts. Get the traveler dress shirts with a spread collar. Weekday warriors are solid pants, but you could also err on the dressier side with whatever their next more formal line is. FWIW, I wear weekday warriors every single day, except Friday when I wear jeans.

User avatar
LaLiLuLeLo

Silver
Posts: 644
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:54 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby LaLiLuLeLo » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:56 pm

Don’t wear a tie with no jacket. What are you, an accountant?



Return to “Legal Employment?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.