OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
VulcanVulcanVulcan
Posts: 175
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby VulcanVulcanVulcan » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:53 pm

emciosn wrote:
Mola Ram wrote:
emciosn wrote:
Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:Anyone have thoughts on this suit?:

http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suits/ha ... rt=0&sz=24


The color is fine and overall the suit is mostly fine but I'm not so sure about the patch pockets on the jacket for a business formal occasion. I like patch pockets on blazers/sportcoats but not so much for suits. I think the standard flap pocket is the safest bet. Is there any reason you don't want to go for the Napoli cut from SS? Better price, no patch pockets, and probably negligible difference in quality. Will have a similar grey as well. The Napoli from SS is pretty much the standard law student interview suit from SS. Just my thoughts


I shop at SS. I can spot the Napoli because it looks cheap compared to the Sienna. Tons of kids on CBs were wearing the Napoli. Spring to get the Sienna. It's a nicer constructed suit and will look better on you assuming you are not a total porker. It is worth the delta.


I've tried on the sienna as well and its definitely a decent suit but if we're talking about a few hundred more dollars there are some other options to consider as well. Also, the ticket pocket is not credited for an interview suit IMO (for the reasons stated by the poster above). It is just safer to find something with standard flap pockets. Spring for the sienna after you've been on the job a few weeks. The Napoli looks like a cheaper suit (although it's better than other suits in the same price band) but its fine for LS interviews. I don't think interviewers necessarily expect you to be rocking a $1,000 suit, they just want to see that you know how to exercise judgment in the way you present yourself.

Also you don't have to be a porker to not fit into those skinny SuSu pants.


I'm a big fan of the Sienna line. What else is good in that price range?

User avatar
BmoreOrLess
Posts: 2083
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby BmoreOrLess » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:09 pm

The Navy York also looks better than the Napoli IMO and doesn't have a ticket pocket.

User avatar
emciosn
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:53 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby emciosn » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:12 pm

VulcanVulcanVulcan wrote:
emciosn wrote:
Mola Ram wrote:
emciosn wrote:
Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:Anyone have thoughts on this suit?:

http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suits/ha ... rt=0&sz=24


The color is fine and overall the suit is mostly fine but I'm not so sure about the patch pockets on the jacket for a business formal occasion. I like patch pockets on blazers/sportcoats but not so much for suits. I think the standard flap pocket is the safest bet. Is there any reason you don't want to go for the Napoli cut from SS? Better price, no patch pockets, and probably negligible difference in quality. Will have a similar grey as well. The Napoli from SS is pretty much the standard law student interview suit from SS. Just my thoughts


I shop at SS. I can spot the Napoli because it looks cheap compared to the Sienna. Tons of kids on CBs were wearing the Napoli. Spring to get the Sienna. It's a nicer constructed suit and will look better on you assuming you are not a total porker. It is worth the delta.


I've tried on the sienna as well and its definitely a decent suit but if we're talking about a few hundred more dollars there are some other options to consider as well. Also, the ticket pocket is not credited for an interview suit IMO (for the reasons stated by the poster above). It is just safer to find something with standard flap pockets. Spring for the sienna after you've been on the job a few weeks. The Napoli looks like a cheaper suit (although it's better than other suits in the same price band) but its fine for LS interviews. I don't think interviewers necessarily expect you to be rocking a $1,000 suit, they just want to see that you know how to exercise judgment in the way you present yourself.

Also you don't have to be a porker to not fit into those skinny SuSu pants.


I'm a big fan of the Sienna line. What else is good in that price range?


I mean, that's kind of a tough question. SuSu is easy to point to because pricing is reasonable, most will agree that the quality is solid, and you don't have to worry about waiting for/missing a sale (because there are no sales). If you have $700 to spend on a suit but are not on a tight timeline, your options open beyond SuSu, though. For example, it is conceivable that you could find a main line Hickey Freeman suit within shouting distance of that price and I think a main line HF is quite a bit better than a Sienna in terms of quality and styling (and I don't think the quality part is really even debatable). There are a ton of threads out there in style forums discussing suits in particular price ranges. Just google "best $700 suit" or something similar (add forum titles too--focus on "StyleForum"; "Ask Andy About Clothes"; and "Dappered Threads").

If you wait for a sale, you can get Brooks Brothers 1818 suits in the $700 price range (probably have to buy two, though) and depending on how you feel about the lapels, you can get J. Crew Ludlow/Crosby in that price range all the time (people have differing views on quality w/r/t J Crew, but people in this thread have given it decent marks--I have seen the Ludlow in person and it looked good, better IMO than the Sienna).

Take a look at this thread:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/140387/the- ... whsql/1335

Scroll down until you see the latest version of the list. Bear in mind that the people posting in this thread are intolerable suit snobs, so just skip right to the Good/Satisfactory sections. They focus on some brands or a price range and just read up. You will find some pretty good advice on those forums. Once you settle on a brand/price, find a place you can get the suit for the price. I went on a suiting odyssey earlier this year and ended up snagging a couple Hickey Freeman main line suits on sale for less than a $1000 each in staple charcoal/navy. Obviously my price range was a little higher, but they are great suits at a pretty good price (if I had more time and wasn't looking for staple colors I probably could have done better w/r/t price).

One other piece of advice I have for you if you are interested in hunting for a deal: be sure you know exactly what you are getting. For instance, Nordstrom Rack/Nieman last call/Off Fifth/etc. sell suits branded as Hickey Freeman, but they are not main line and are not worth the $1,500 fake retail price listed on the sticker (they are not fully canvased like Hickey main line for example). These are made specially for the discount stores and are of lower quality (but still may be a decent deal for like $400 or something). If you are ok with that and comfortable with the "sale" price then go for it, just know what you're getting. FYI main line Hickey Freeman will be called "Addison" or "Beacon" or some name starting with a "C" while the cheap-o version are "Lindsey" or "Milbank."

Obviously I'm a HF apologist. And or good reason. It's a solid suit, especially if you find it on sale, with the right kind of styling--just know you will likely have to spend some money on tailoring to slim the jacket down and will want to look for the Beacon cut. You should be spending money on tailoring anyway, though (tailoring is the single most important factor for any suit). You may find another brand you like. The point of all this rambling is that if you put in the time, research and are willing to look for the right deal you can get a great non-SuSu suit when the budget gets into the $700 to $1000 range. I tried on the La Spalla (I think) and didn't like it as much as HF. I thought there was a noticeable difference in quality.

User avatar
emciosn
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:53 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby emciosn » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:16 pm

P.S. the post by "killscallion" in this thread that lists a few brands is pretty good:

http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/best-suit-brands

Keep in mind some of his recs are pretty spendy so you will have to hunt down a deal.

omegaweapon
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:19 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby omegaweapon » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:30 pm

How stringent are standards about suit fit for interviews? I'm REALLY short, so getting a suit with a good button stance and length is going to be really hard if it's not MTM. Is that a requirement, or is getting one that fits my shoulders and having the sleeves shortened good enough?

User avatar
PB&J.D.
Posts: 290
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:54 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby PB&J.D. » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:05 am

What's the deal with button-down collars? Always too casual or just not to be worn with jackets? (biz casual, non-NYC)

User avatar
ScottRiqui
Posts: 3640
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:09 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby ScottRiqui » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:23 am

PB&J.D. wrote:What's the deal with button-down collars? Always too casual or just not to be worn with jackets? (biz casual, non-NYC)


I was at a business casual non-NYC firm this summer, and button-down collars were by far the most common choice. Second most common was a regular dress shirt without a tie, but I've always thought that looks a little sloppy because of the way the collars spread.

User avatar
Glasseyes
Posts: 507
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:19 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Glasseyes » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:25 am

PB&J.D. wrote:What's the deal with button-down collars? Always too casual or just not to be worn with jackets? (biz casual, non-NYC)


Debate rages over this, but I think it's context dependent more than anything. Button down collars are informal by nature, so they're absolutely not for interviews or court, but I think they're fine with a jacket and no tie. Personally I think they look weird with a tie, but if you're rocking a less traditional suit (I dunno, maybe a linen summer suit or something like that) it can work with a tie as part of an ensemble. That said, that's probably not work appropriate anyway.

tl;dr BDC is fine with a jacket sans tie

User avatar
ScottRiqui
Posts: 3640
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:09 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby ScottRiqui » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:28 am

ScottRiqui wrote:
PB&J.D. wrote:What's the deal with button-down collars? Always too casual or just not to be worn with jackets? (biz casual, non-NYC)


I was at a business casual non-NYC firm this summer, and button-down collars were by far the most common choice. Second most common was a regular dress shirt without a tie, but I've always thought that looks a little sloppy because of the way the collars spread. No jackets in either case - I don't know if "business casual" normally includes a jacket or not, but it didn't where I was.

User avatar
PB&J.D.
Posts: 290
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:54 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby PB&J.D. » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:39 am

ScottRiqui wrote:
PB&J.D. wrote:What's the deal with button-down collars? Always too casual or just not to be worn with jackets? (biz casual, non-NYC)


I was at a business casual non-NYC firm this summer, and button-down collars were by far the most common choice. Second most common was a regular dress shirt without a tie, but I've always thought that looks a little sloppy because of the way the collars spread. No jackets in either case - I don't know if "business casual" normally includes a jacket or not, but it didn't where I was.

This is what I was thinking - collar spread was my primary frustration, so having the button-down option is ideal. IME "business casual" has been sans jacket except for receptions/dinners; the summer firm is definitely sans jacket.

Hutz_and_Goodman
Posts: 1413
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:42 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:41 am

Is it weird to have two pairs of the same shoe (one brown one black)? Its an Allen Edmonds line if that matters.

User avatar
ScottRiqui
Posts: 3640
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:09 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby ScottRiqui » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:25 am

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:Is it weird to have two pairs of the same shoe (one brown one black)? Its an Allen Edmonds line if that matters.


Not at all - my thinking is that if they're different colors, they're not the "same shoe".

Hutz_and_Goodman
Posts: 1413
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:42 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:27 am

ScottRiqui wrote:
Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:Is it weird to have two pairs of the same shoe (one brown one black)? Its an Allen Edmonds line if that matters.


Not at all - my thinking is that if they're different colors, they're not the "same shoe".


Ok thanks!

User avatar
ScottRiqui
Posts: 3640
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:09 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby ScottRiqui » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:32 am

PB&J.D. wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:
PB&J.D. wrote:What's the deal with button-down collars? Always too casual or just not to be worn with jackets? (biz casual, non-NYC)


I was at a business casual non-NYC firm this summer, and button-down collars were by far the most common choice. Second most common was a regular dress shirt without a tie, but I've always thought that looks a little sloppy because of the way the collars spread. No jackets in either case - I don't know if "business casual" normally includes a jacket or not, but it didn't where I was.

This is what I was thinking - collar spread was my primary frustration, so having the button-down option is ideal. IME "business casual" has been sans jacket except for receptions/dinners; the summer firm is definitely sans jacket.


If you already have a lot of non-button down dress shirts, but rarely need to wear a tie, you can still use them without the collars spreading - just get some of the stainless steel collar stays with the little magnets to hold them in place.

sprezz
Posts: 399
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:54 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby sprezz » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:05 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:Is it weird to have two pairs of the same shoe (one brown one black)? Its an Allen Edmonds line if that matters.

weird, no; efficient use of resources, equally no. but if you don't care about shoes, it's fine.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:22 pm

Embarrassed to ask this, but anyone have tips on how to keep work pants smelling fresh without dry cleaning?

I'm cheap and am trying to avoid dry cleaning. I got this odor spray off amazon that has produced mixed results and sometimes smells a little chemical-y. I'm probably just a smelly person but appreciate any advice here. Thank you.

sprezz
Posts: 399
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:54 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby sprezz » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:28 pm

what odor spray did you get? how long are you trying to go between trips to the cleaners? does a trip to the cleaners eliminate the smell you're noticing?

general advice would be to air them out well between uses before putting them away and to try to manage it by sweating less, though of course that second bit of advice is pretty useless. you can try the cedar hanger thing but that's not going to do anything for pants.

also, that was a rare legitimate use of anon in this thread, imo

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18410
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby bk1 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:41 pm

sprezz wrote:also, that was a rare legitimate use of anon in this thread, imo

:lol:

User avatar
stannis
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:01 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby stannis » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:Embarrassed to ask this, but anyone have tips on how to keep work pants smelling fresh without dry cleaning?

I'm cheap and am trying to avoid dry cleaning. I got this odor spray off amazon that has produced mixed results and sometimes smells a little chemical-y. I'm probably just a smelly person but appreciate any advice here. Thank you.



http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J ... ge_o03_s00

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:41 pm

stannis wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Embarrassed to ask this, but anyone have tips on how to keep work pants smelling fresh without dry cleaning?

I'm cheap and am trying to avoid dry cleaning. I got this odor spray off amazon that has produced mixed results and sometimes smells a little chemical-y. I'm probably just a smelly person but appreciate any advice here. Thank you.



http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J ... ge_o03_s00



smelly anon

thank you. i tried this one to mixed odor results but it is solid for wrinkles: http://www.amazon.com/Wrinkle-Releaser- ... spray+odor

User avatar
usernotfound
Posts: 292
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:46 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby usernotfound » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:30 pm

In the market for a new suit, and I noticed Amazon is having a sale today. Thoughts on this suit in particular for OCI or other lawyer related stuff?

s1m4
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:04 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby s1m4 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:54 pm

usernotfound wrote:In the market for a new suit, and I noticed Amazon is having a sale today. Thoughts on this suit in particular for OCI or other lawyer related stuff?


Im going to be honest - kenneth cole is a mass-produced garbage - it will loose its form fast. It also looks like something that people wear to lower-end clubs. Also, how can you possibly buy a suit without trying it on? If you are looking for something cheap, try to find a very small suit shop (the one in random plazas next to subways or in downtown areas run by immigrants) that sells "italian suits" - you can actually pick up some quality suits for around 150-300 at places like this, plus, the seller will typically find something that will fit well with your body shape. Remember, fit is more important than fabric.


User avatar
SplitMyPants
Posts: 1392
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:22 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby SplitMyPants » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:04 pm

usernotfound wrote:In the market for a new suit, and I noticed Amazon is having a sale today. Thoughts on this suit in particular for OCI or other lawyer related stuff?


I picked up one of the Jomers suits they released earlier this month, and it is really great. Unfortunately for you, the pre-order they opened yesterday is already sold out. However, you could sign up for their list-serve and get notified when they release another batch.

User avatar
usernotfound
Posts: 292
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:46 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby usernotfound » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:http://mobile.josbank.com/?CAWELAID=430003740000409085&CAPCID=95014122793&cadevice=m&gclid=CLi-mcmqxMsCFdgGgQodCgoACQ

find one near you


I have one suit I bought a couple years ago from Jos. A. Bank on short notice, but I'm looking to get a different color and want something that is not overly expensive that is still good quality per dollar. The suit seems OK, but are there any better options?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.