OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
Danger Zone
Posts: 7317
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Danger Zone » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:06 pm

Do it without a receipt and you'll be fine. I've done that before but they really don't like it. You'll only get store credit but at least you can spend it on other stuff

User avatar
chuckbass
Posts: 9957
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby chuckbass » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any thoughts on this shirt - appropriate or too exciting?

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Non-Iron- ... lt,pd.html

That's just ugly though, you can do better

User avatar
transferror
Posts: 816
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:42 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby transferror » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:27 am

taken from SA thread:

tent sale at Shoebank going on until the 28th

User avatar
First Offense
Posts: 6549
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:45 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby First Offense » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:15 am

Remember kids... No park aves means no offer.

sprezz
Posts: 399
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:54 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby sprezz » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:55 pm

transferror wrote:taken from SA thread:

tent sale at Shoebank going on until the 28th

transferror wrote:On the AE subject, I'd just wait until the Nordstroms Anniversary sale in July where AE firsts will be in the $250 range. Only select styles and colors, but the staples should be there (Black Park Ave, Walnut Strand, etc). I think Nordstroms members have early access from 7/9 - 7/16, and then it's open to the public after that.


full circle!

User avatar
emciosn
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:53 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby emciosn » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:29 pm

Just a heads-up: If you didn't already know, the Nordstrom anniversary sale is going on right now. Some staple AE shoe styles (including black Park Avenues) are on sale for $257.90--which is a pretty good price, better than the average shoebank price I'm pretty sure. There are also some decent deals on suits if you like/can afford any of the brands Nordstrom carries (a lot of Hugo Boss, which I know has plenty of detractors around the internet, but other brands as well). There are markdowns on some staple colors like navy/charcoal that you don't see all that often.

User avatar
acijku2
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:19 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby acijku2 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:44 pm

emciosn wrote:Just a heads-up: If you didn't already know, the Nordstrom anniversary sale is going on right now. Some staple AE shoe styles (including black Park Avenues) are on sale for $257.90--which is a pretty good price, better than the average shoebank price I'm pretty sure. There are also some decent deals on suits if you like/can afford any of the brands Nordstrom carries (a lot of Hugo Boss, which I know has plenty of detractors around the internet, but other brands as well). There are markdowns on some staple colors like navy/charcoal that you don't see all that often.


Do you know if the sale is also at Nordstrom Rack? There is one not too far from me and I would stop by if it was.

User avatar
emciosn
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:53 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby emciosn » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:58 pm

acijku2 wrote:
emciosn wrote:Just a heads-up: If you didn't already know, the Nordstrom anniversary sale is going on right now. Some staple AE shoe styles (including black Park Avenues) are on sale for $257.90--which is a pretty good price, better than the average shoebank price I'm pretty sure. There are also some decent deals on suits if you like/can afford any of the brands Nordstrom carries (a lot of Hugo Boss, which I know has plenty of detractors around the internet, but other brands as well). There are markdowns on some staple colors like navy/charcoal that you don't see all that often.


Do you know if the sale is also at Nordstrom Rack? There is one not too far from me and I would stop by if it was.


Not sure. The Nordstrom website has a huge anniversary sale advertisement on the front page while the Nordstrom Rack website has no such advertisement so maybe no? Also Nordstrom has free shipping and free returns on all online purchases all the time, so if you know your size pretty well, you can just shop online.

Traynor Brah
Posts: 718
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:23 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Traynor Brah » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:07 pm

I know the megapost in the lounge strongly advises against wearing non-black shoes/belt, but how strongly does the rest of the world feel about that? I don't think I'd go as far as wearing walnut, necessarily, but I don't really dig the navy/black combo.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:11 pm

got an offer wearing chocolate brown shoes/belt so not an auto-ding...

User avatar
First Offense
Posts: 6549
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:45 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby First Offense » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:13 pm

Traynor Brah wrote:I know the megapost in the lounge strongly advises against wearing non-black shoes/belt, but how strongly does the rest of the world feel about that? I don't think I'd go as far as wearing walnut, necessarily, but I don't really dig the navy/black combo.

Most of this advice won't matter 98 percent of the time. But it's about being risk averse. Fuck your personal style - wear the fucking uniform. If you're at a bus. Cas. Office you'll have more flexibility to be stylish in the future.

User avatar
PennBull
Posts: 15435
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:59 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby PennBull » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:16 pm

Traynor Brah wrote:I know the megapost in the lounge strongly advises against wearing non-black shoes/belt, but how strongly does the rest of the world feel about that? I don't think I'd go as far as wearing walnut, necessarily, but I don't really dig the navy/black combo.


Have at it, dude. The black-only "rule" is just one of many OCI "rules" we tend to give out so (i) the most risk-averse folks have a template to follow and (ii) those who start OCI with little-to-no formal wardrobe (more than you think) know what the primary items to purchase are.

User avatar
acijku2
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:19 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby acijku2 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:29 pm

Traynor Brah wrote:I know the megapost in the lounge strongly advises against wearing non-black shoes/belt, but how strongly does the rest of the world feel about that? I don't think I'd go as far as wearing walnut, necessarily, but I don't really dig the navy/black combo.


Just stick with black, you can peacock when you start working. Just go safe for the interviews.

User avatar
PennBull
Posts: 15435
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:59 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby PennBull » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:33 pm

acijku2 wrote:
Traynor Brah wrote:I know the megapost in the lounge strongly advises against wearing non-black shoes/belt, but how strongly does the rest of the world feel about that? I don't think I'd go as far as wearing walnut, necessarily, but I don't really dig the navy/black combo.


Just stick with black, you can peacock when you start working. Just go safe for the interviews.


Brown shoes with a navy suit is hardly peacocking, and he even says he probably wouldn't even wear walnut.

User avatar
acijku2
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:19 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby acijku2 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:37 pm

PennBull wrote:
acijku2 wrote:
Traynor Brah wrote:I know the megapost in the lounge strongly advises against wearing non-black shoes/belt, but how strongly does the rest of the world feel about that? I don't think I'd go as far as wearing walnut, necessarily, but I don't really dig the navy/black combo.


Just stick with black, you can peacock when you start working. Just go safe for the interviews.


Brown shoes with a navy suit is hardly peacocking, and he even says he probably wouldn't even wear walnut.


I agree, I'm exaggerating a bit. Still, I think black is safe. You never know who the interviewer is and how much of a hardo they are for things like this. If it has even a possibility of ruining one interview it just isn't worth it. To me, it is better to be safe...but to each his own.

User avatar
cyrilfiggis
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:35 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby cyrilfiggis » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:59 pm

Seems pretty neurotic to say that really dark brown shoes/belt would strike an interviewer the wrong way

User avatar
Danger Zone
Posts: 7317
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Danger Zone » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:50 pm

cyrilfiggis wrote:Seems pretty neurotic to say that really dark brown shoes/belt would strike an interviewer the wrong way

Have you ever met an attorney

Neurosis is in our BLOOD

sprezz
Posts: 399
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:54 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby sprezz » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:52 pm

imo, a deep merlot / burgundy / "cordovan" [color not leather type] is the 2nd best option if you're not going to get a black pair. but if i was getting anything johnston murphy/cole haan or similar/lesser quality, i'd just get black. that way you have beaters for business formal and can wear them in shit weather to baby whatever your preferred shoes are, which you can acquire once you get the job.

navy/black is dope though, you'll come around

Jay2716
Posts: 224
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:41 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Jay2716 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:25 am

Jfc conservative brown shoes are fine. Anyone who dings you for brown shoes was going to ding you for something regardless. Literally half of your classmates will be wearing something like button-down collars, or loafers, or a paisley tie, or an ill-fitting pin-stripe suit or something far less appropriate than brown cap toes. You will not lose a single callback for wearing dark brown shoes instead of an otherwise identical black pair. I saw plenty of people wearing
Slim-cut suits to OCI, which are definitely more fashion-forward than brown shoes.

User avatar
PennBull
Posts: 15435
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:59 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby PennBull » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:36 am

sprezz wrote:navy/black is dope though, you'll come around


Also this

ashea
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:08 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby ashea » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:24 pm

emciosn wrote:Just a heads-up: If you didn't already know, the Nordstrom anniversary sale is going on right now. Some staple AE shoe styles (including black Park Avenues) are on sale for $257.90--which is a pretty good price, better than the average shoebank price I'm pretty sure. There are also some decent deals on suits if you like/can afford any of the brands Nordstrom carries (a lot of Hugo Boss, which I know has plenty of detractors around the internet, but other brands as well). There are markdowns on some staple colors like navy/charcoal that you don't see all that often.


Thanks for this! Picked up a pair today.

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6392
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby 5ky » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:24 am

PennBull wrote:
sprezz wrote:navy/black is dope though, you'll come around


Also this


smdh, pb

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:56 pm

Not a suit question, but I am having a haircut issue and hoping some style gurus here can help. I typically have the sides and back of my hair short, with the top a little bit longer. Got a haircut over the weekend, and the sides ended up being cut pretty close to my head, shorter than I usually get.

I've had remarks at work that this might not work for some of the more conservative firms, but I don't personally find my haircut too out there or extreme. Our interviews start in a week - should I try and cut the top a bit shorter, or even buzz it at this point? I feel like a buzz is going to send the message that I did indeed get a crappy haircut recently.


Should I even be stressed about this at all?

sandwhich
Posts: 400
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:02 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby sandwhich » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not a suit question, but I am having a haircut issue and hoping some style gurus here can help. I typically have the sides and back of my hair short, with the top a little bit longer. Got a haircut over the weekend, and the sides ended up being cut pretty close to my head, shorter than I usually get.

I've had remarks at work that this might not work for some of the more conservative firms, but I don't personally find my haircut too out there or extreme. Our interviews start in a week - should I try and cut the top a bit shorter, or even buzz it at this point? I feel like a buzz is going to send the message that I did indeed get a crappy haircut recently.


Should I even be stressed about this at all?


My advice would be to leave it if you can. If the top/side contrast is just too stark, maybe get the top trimmed a bit - but buzz is probably a bad choice if not interviewing for JAG. I think nowadays you want to go into your interview about 2 weeks from a haircut, that way it looks more natural (just keep that neck shaved bruh).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:54 pm

Sterling slide buckle? Or regular belt?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.