OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
kalvano

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby kalvano » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:44 am

BVest wrote:Also, being in Texas, with Aug/Sept CBs I'm generally sweating between the garage and the building door.

At least this summer isn't so terrible. When I had mine, it was roughly eleven million degrees out.

sprezz

Postby sprezz » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:26 pm

blue shirt is fine

Leprechaun

Postby Leprechaun » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:42 pm

Would any of these ties be considered acceptable for interviews? If so, which ones? Suit is navy and shirt is white.

Thanks!

Mike

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab239/thenavarro/20140820_192146-1_zps625aa9e5.jpg

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:45 pm

Leprechaun wrote:Would any of these ties be considered acceptable for interviews? If so, which ones? Suit is navy and shirt is white.

Thanks!

Mike

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab239/thenavarro/20140820_192146-1_zps625aa9e5.jpg

Yes, all of them IMO. Definitely 1+2. The purple is a bit dark against navy so Idk how well that goes. Not too sure about the last one but i think its fine. I have seen variations of all of those at CBs

Leprechaun

Postby Leprechaun » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:52 pm

toothbrush wrote:Yes, all of them IMO. Definitely 1+2. The purple is a bit dark against navy so Idk how well that goes. Not too sure about the last one but i think its fine. I have seen variations of all of those at CBs

Ok, thanks!

Mike

sprezz

Postby sprezz » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:33 pm

none are too awful, but i'd probly literally never wear #4 if i had the other three. you'll be fine with whatever.

nsideirish

Postby nsideirish » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:58 pm

How strict is the navy blue tie rule for CBs? I have a nice forest green tie with light blue stripes from Brook Bros that I was thinking of wearing with a light blue button down and my navy suit. Acceptable?

sublime

Postby sublime » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:00 pm

txig

Postby txig » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:39 am

Not sure if this is the appropriate place, but I remember seeing links for briefcases (and now can't find them). Wondering if anyone had suggestions on which to purchase and if they could provide a link.

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:44 pm

Sorry to revive this thread (although was it ever really dead?). I'm a clerk planning on doing interviews with law firms (fingers crossed) and I was curious whether the clothing rules for non-OCI interviews was relaxed a little. For example, I prefer gray suits to navy ones. I like brown shoes over black ones. Am I making a big faux pas by deviating from the TLS received wisdom of navy suit/AE Park Aves/white shirt/boring tie?

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:52 pm

nsideirish wrote:How strict is the navy blue tie rule for CBs? I have a nice forest green tie with light blue stripes from Brook Bros that I was thinking of wearing with a light blue button down and my navy suit. Acceptable?

There's no navy tie rule. Green tie is fine. Would wear a white shirt with it. (In fact, a navy tie with a navy suit is not the most traditional look. Usually want some contrast.)

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:56 pm

txig wrote:Not sure if this is the appropriate place, but I remember seeing links for briefcases (and now can't find them). Wondering if anyone had suggestions on which to purchase and if they could provide a link.

Thanks!

Use a padfolio for OCI. Otherwise there are a ton of briefcases out there. Would go with a soft case.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sorry to revive this thread (although was it ever really dead?). I'm a clerk planning on doing interviews with law firms (fingers crossed) and I was curious whether the clothing rules for non-OCI interviews was relaxed a little. For example, I prefer gray suits to navy ones. I like brown shoes over black ones. Am I making a big faux pas by deviating from the TLS received wisdom of navy suit/AE Park Aves/white shirt/boring tie?

There's no navy suit rule. A gray suit is fine, but it should probably be a dark gray/charcoal. Would go with black shoes if you're wearing gray. Dark brown is fine with navy. Tie should be reasonably conservative, but most colors are ok. White shirt or pale blue, solid color.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:37 pm

a NYC partner looked at me during a CB interview and said "HA! do you know how I know he is an interviewee? that white shirt..."

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:a NYC partner looked at me during a CB interview and said "HA! do you know how I know he is an interviewee? that white shirt..."

I can assure you NYC partners regularly wear white shirts. It is standard and virtually always appropriate.

GOATlawman

Postby GOATlawman » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:55 pm

Bronte wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:a NYC partner looked at me during a CB interview and said "HA! do you know how I know he is an interviewee? that white shirt..."

I can assure you NYC partners regularly wear white shirts. It is standard and virtually always appropriate.

TBH not sure I ever see anyone wearing a plain white shirt w/o suit in the office. Or anywhere really. Except for mormans and jehovahs witnesses at my door.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:59 pm

GOATlawman wrote:
Bronte wrote:

TBH not sure I ever see anyone wearing a plain white shirt w/o suit in the office. Or anywhere really. Except for mormans and jehovahs witnesses at my door.

We're talking about suit and tie.

GOATlawman

Postby GOATlawman » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:35 am

Bronte wrote:
GOATlawman wrote:
Bronte wrote:

We're talking about suit and tie.

where do you work that partners are wearing suits and ties??

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:49 am

GOATlawman wrote:where do you work that partners are wearing suits and ties??

I'm going to assume you're trolling. In any event, this is the OCI thread. We're talking about suits, and somehow you're talking about business casual.

GOATlawman

Postby GOATlawman » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:08 am

Bronte wrote:

I'm going to assume you're trolling. In any event, this is the OCI thread. We're talking about suits, and somehow you're talking about business casual.

Bronte wrote:I can assure you NYC partners regularly wear white shirts. It is standard and virtually always appropriate.

OK bro...

I also lol on the inside whenever I see anyone wearing the "TLS uniform" to the fucking T (boxy charcoal/navy old man suit, black park avenues, navy pindot tie, etc). I would think this would be a pretty negative presumption to overcome given the general perception of TLS.

Also, what is bad about showing a shred of personality?

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:12 am

Trolling confirmed.

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:12 am

don't mind the haters. you can't go too overboard though. i went with purple socks.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:03 am

So, to sum up, white shirts are bad for interviews, purple socks are good for interviews, and partners at law firms don't wear suits.

Kratos

Postby Kratos » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:41 am

GOATlawman wrote:
Bronte wrote:

Bronte wrote:I can assure you NYC partners regularly wear white shirts. It is standard and virtually always appropriate.

OK bro...

I also lol on the inside whenever I see anyone wearing the "TLS uniform" to the fucking T (boxy charcoal/navy old man suit, black park avenues, navy pindot tie, etc). I would think this would be a pretty negative presumption to overcome given the general perception of TLS.

Also, what is bad about showing a shred of personality?

That's not a TLS uniform. It's a fairly standard, conservative look. I highly doubt any partner looks at someone wearing a navy suit, with black oxfords, and a blue tie and goes "oh must be a fucking TLS kid, let's ding him." Also, nobody has ever advocated for a "boxy" suit, anywhere.

Would you rather someone roll in with a pinstripe suit, a pink shirt, and a knit tie or something?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:20 pm

Bronte wrote:So, to sum up, white shirts are bad for interviews, purple socks are good for interviews, and partners at law firms don't wear suits.

Nah. I still received an offer.

(I know you're being sarcastic)

Return to “Legal Employment”