OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Danger Zone

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Danger Zone » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:09 pm

chrisbru wrote:My mom bought me a four-button brown suit when I was in college. It was horrendous.

My mom got me a double breasted. Moral of the story: buy your own shit

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:09 pm

nointerests wrote:Pre OCI reception at a bar with dress code as "casual dress." Business casual? Casual like I'm heading to the bars? Jeans and a button up?

Business casual generally means khakis or slacks and a sport shirt or Polo.

nointerests

Postby nointerests » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:21 pm

kalvano wrote:
nointerests wrote:Pre OCI reception at a bar with dress code as "casual dress." Business casual? Casual like I'm heading to the bars? Jeans and a button up?

KD35 wrote:

I'd think it would vary based on the firm & market. My thought is always going nicer than needed.

Thanks guys

heavoldgotjuice

Postby heavoldgotjuice » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:49 pm

I never button my suit, sitting or standing. Not sure who told y'all to button yours, but it looks fucking stupid

5ky

Postby 5ky » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:57 pm

kalvano wrote:

For the record, this would be an extremely casual take on 'business casual' at many places.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:59 pm

5ky wrote:
kalvano wrote:

For the record, this would be an extremely casual take on 'business casual' at many places.

I mean, Dallas is pretty conservative, and that's the very definition of "business casual" here.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:04 pm

kalvano wrote:
5ky wrote:
kalvano wrote:

I mean, Dallas is pretty conservative, and that's the very definition of "business casual" here.

In the general scheme of things for law, the South and the west coast are quite different from the east coast. I definitely think that if they ask for casual dress, a polo and khakis is good, but that would not be the typical business casual for a nyc/dc firm, in general.
Last edited by 5ky on Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:05 pm

kalvano wrote:I mean, Dallas is pretty conservative, and that's the very definition of "business casual" here.

Sure, but business casual is also very workplace specific. It could mean khakis and a polo, but it could also mean slacks, button down and tie, or suit with no tie, or even maybe nice jeans with polo.

Bottom line - you should always ask or err on the side of caution.

heavoldgotjuice wrote:I never button my suit, sitting or standing. Not sure who told y'all to button yours, but it looks fucking stupid

Lol ok dude. How is that sneakers with your suit look working for you?

Button your suit jacket if you are standing and it is a formal setting.

FlowBro

Postby FlowBro » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:08 pm

Not buttoning your suit is hilarious. Good luck buddy.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:25 pm

I leave my two button suit unbuttoned when I want to look a bit more casual. Or when I'm walking around a lot. More comfortable.

But for OCI, keep it buttoned.

sprezz

Postby sprezz » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:31 pm

Nelson wrote:It's just a dated style that looks worse on 95% of male body types. They're really rare these days in mainstream menswear stores so you'd have to go out of your way to get one and I'm not sure why you would unless you're trying to stand out, which you should avoid for an interview.

this conversation belongs on a style thread, not a "minimize your interview fuckups" thread. two buttons vs. three is not an interview fuckup.

[++ the number of buttons is at best a crude proxy for button stance, which "mainstream menswear stores" are screwing up equally frequently in their two button jackets so ditching your 3 for a 2 may not even eradicate the problem. 2 vs 3 (vs 3r2...) is only a detail to consider when you already have to buy a new suit, not when you have one that fits.]

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:31 pm

heavoldgotjuice wrote:I never button my suit, sitting or standing. Not sure who told y'all to button yours, but it looks fucking stupid

this has to be a joke

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:07 pm

5ky wrote:
kalvano wrote:
5ky wrote:
kalvano wrote:Business casual generally means khakis or slacks and a sport shirt or Polo.

In the general scheme of things for law, the South and the west coast are quite different from the east coast. I definitely think that if they ask for casual dress, a polo and khakis is good, but that would not be the typical business casual for a nyc/dc firm, in general.

Agreed. In NYC, a polo is casual / smart casual. "Business" and "polo" don't belong in the same sentence.

Business casual usually means dress slacks or NICE khakis with a button-up, possibly with a sport coat depending on venue.

lawhopeful10

Postby lawhopeful10 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:20 pm

I want to buy a second white button shirt for interviews but one that isn't too expensive. Anyone have any good suggestions.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:47 pm

lawhopeful10 wrote:I want to buy a second white button shirt for interviews but one that isn't too expensive. Anyone have any good suggestions.

I got a couple of the Stafford ones for OCIs. They are cheap, and look fine under a tie and jacket.

skers

Postby skers » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:54 pm

Keep your suit buttoned when standing and unbuttoned sitting. Not that hard.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:32 pm

skers wrote:Keep your suit buttoned when standing and unbuttoned sitting. Not that hard.

Literally no one at my OCI does this - students or screeners - and it's frankly a silly rule when you're alternating standing/sitting every two minutes for two weeks and one of your hands is always full with a padfolio anyway.
Save the over-the-top formalities for the court room.

ETA: Unintentional anon from ymmv.

ymmv

Postby ymmv » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:34 pm

lawhopeful10 wrote:I want to buy a second white button shirt for interviews but one that isn't too expensive. Anyone have any good suggestions.

Express fitted shirts are working pretty well for me without any tailoring, and they're relatively affordable even without one of the ubiquitous coupons.

heavoldgotjuice

Postby heavoldgotjuice » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:15 pm

mephistopheles wrote:

this has to be a joke

I stand by my statement. Y'all can button just to unbutton all you want, but ima keep it real

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:
skers wrote:Keep your suit buttoned when standing and unbuttoned sitting. Not that hard.

Literally no one at my OCI does this - students or screeners - and it's frankly a silly rule when you're alternating standing/sitting every two minutes for two weeks and one of your hands is always full with a padfolio anyway.

what? do you have trouble buttoning with one hand? is there some disability at play? because if so, fine. if not, it's increments of 10-20 minutes and it shows a knowledge of how to comport oneself in a formal environment. it's very noticeable when one doesn't button their jacket. if your interviewer isn't then feel free i guess to look like a schlub

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:21 am

In probably more than 50 interviews I literally don't think I have ever one of my interviewers button their suit jacket upon standing up... this is nbd

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:12 am

mephistopheles wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

what? do you have trouble buttoning with one hand? is there some disability at play? because if so, fine. if not, it's increments of 10-20 minutes and it shows a knowledge of how to comport oneself in a formal environment. it's very noticeable when one doesn't button their jacket. if your interviewer isn't then feel free i guess to look like a schlub

I'll happily be a "schlub" in my unbuttoned suit when (1) it tends to looks better, assuming your suit is well-tailored, (2) literally no one else is buttoning their suit, because (3) it's a silly and annoying formality even the employers aren't following when they don't have to.

And your interview is conducted sitting down anyway.

Anonymous wrote:In probably more than 50 interviews I literally don't think I have ever one of my interviewers button their suit jacket upon standing up... this is nbd

Yup. Hell, in probably more than 50 courtroom sessions I don't think I have seen more than one or two attorneys do this, and they tended to be the young finicky ones.

Anyway, do whatever feels comfortable to you.

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'll happily be a "schlub" in my unbuttoned suit when (1) it tends to looks better, assuming your suit is well-tailored, (2) literally no one else is buttoning their suit, because (3) it's a silly and annoying formality even the employers aren't following when they don't have to.

And your interview is conducted sitting down anyway.

Nobody is going to give a shit but because life isn't worth living if you don't nitpick... if your suit was well-tailored, it looks better buttoned when standing.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:31 am

ymmv wrote:

Express fitted shirts are working pretty well for me without any tailoring, and they're relatively affordable even without one of the ubiquitous coupons.

No. Do not buy Express shirts unless (I guess) you are going to wear them to the bar/club on weekends. They do not look good as dress shirts for suits or business casual.

LRGhost wrote:Nobody is going to give a shit but because life isn't worth living if you don't nitpick... if your suit was well-tailored, it looks better buttoned when standing.

This.

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:56 pm

Cheap shirts from Uniqlo if you're near one.

Return to “Legal Employment”