OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
dkb17xzx
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:25 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby dkb17xzx » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:55 am

BVest wrote:
dkb17xzx wrote:Question: is it better to wear a black striped suit (very thin stripes, bit "shiny," tailored) over an ill-fitting charcoal suit? After reading the threads, I bought a charcoal suit (Jos A Bank Signature) a couple days back -- had time to get the pants altered but not the jacket. It's a not a really bad fit but i'm naturally very skinny and so shoulders are a problem.

Note to others -- do not buy a Jos A Bank signature suit, ever. You're better off flushing your money down the toilet.

also.. are these good shoes?: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BECI6EK/ref=twister_B00BECI59G


The real lesson there is don't buy a suit with an ill-fitting coat. Did you try it on?

As far as the shoes, they'll serve you well. If you're interested in leather soles, though, consider the Cole Haan Caldwell.


I did....also went to the tailor with the jacket(considered to be one of the better tailors here in town). He said jacket was fine (minus the little shoulder problem).

User avatar
Cicero76
Posts: 1276
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:41 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Cicero76 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:56 am

dkb17xzx wrote:
BVest wrote:
dkb17xzx wrote:Question: is it better to wear a black striped suit (very thin stripes, bit "shiny," tailored) over an ill-fitting charcoal suit? After reading the threads, I bought a charcoal suit (Jos A Bank Signature) a couple days back -- had time to get the pants altered but not the jacket. It's a not a really bad fit but i'm naturally very skinny and so shoulders are a problem.

Note to others -- do not buy a Jos A Bank signature suit, ever. You're better off flushing your money down the toilet.

also.. are these good shoes?: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BECI6EK/ref=twister_B00BECI59G


The real lesson there is don't buy a suit with an ill-fitting coat. Did you try it on?

As far as the shoes, they'll serve you well. If you're interested in leather soles, though, consider the Cole Haan Caldwell.


I did....also went to the tailor with the jacket(considered to be one of the better tailors here in town). He said jacket was fine (minus the little shoulder problem).


Not if he was the JAB in-house tailor. They're more interested in managing their workflow than doing a good job or being honest.

User avatar
PennBull
Posts: 15381
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:59 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby PennBull » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:59 am

dkb17xzx wrote:
PennBull wrote:
dkb17xzx wrote:Question: is it better to wear a black striped suit (very thin stripes, bit "shiny," tailored) over an ill-fitting charcoal suit? After reading the threads, I bought a charcoal suit (Jos A Bank Signature) a couple days back -- had time to get the pants altered but not the jacket. It's a not a really bad fit but i'm naturally very skinny and so shoulders are a problem.

Note to others -- do not buy a Jos A Bank signature suit, ever. You're better off flushing your money down the toilet.

also.. are these good shoes?: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BECI6EK/ref=twister_B00BECI59G


If you're a skinny guy get a j crew Thompson fit from j crew factory; maybe won't be perfect but it'll be way way way better than your current options

Or a ludlow but I'm guessing you want the cheaper option

Those shoes are fine but if I were you I'd rather spend another hundred bucks and get so,me Park Aves


So... the black suit is definitely out? Yea i just the sale at nordstrom - im gonna go pick up the park aves: http://Error.com/pstjydn -- these, right?


Your link is broken but whatever Allen Edmonds Park Avenues are what you're looking for

Don't wear a shitty suit--Thompson j crew suits are pretty affordable and better for a skinny guy like you. Not the best quality but decent. Certainly fine enough for OCI. Better quality than JAB. Lapels a bit too narrow but not noticeable enough.

dkb17xzx
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:25 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby dkb17xzx » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:20 am

Cicero76 wrote:
dkb17xzx wrote:
BVest wrote:
dkb17xzx wrote:Question: is it better to wear a black striped suit (very thin stripes, bit "shiny," tailored) over an ill-fitting charcoal suit? After reading the threads, I bought a charcoal suit (Jos A Bank Signature) a couple days back -- had time to get the pants altered but not the jacket. It's a not a really bad fit but i'm naturally very skinny and so shoulders are a problem.

Note to others -- do not buy a Jos A Bank signature suit, ever. You're better off flushing your money down the toilet.

also.. are these good shoes?: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BECI6EK/ref=twister_B00BECI59G


The real lesson there is don't buy a suit with an ill-fitting coat. Did you try it on?

As far as the shoes, they'll serve you well. If you're interested in leather soles, though, consider the Cole Haan Caldwell.


I did....also went to the tailor with the jacket(considered to be one of the better tailors here in town). He said jacket was fine (minus the little shoulder problem).


Not if he was the JAB in-house tailor. They're more interested in managing their workflow than doing a good job or being honest.


It was an outside tailor, not JAB in-house.

dkb17xzx
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:25 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby dkb17xzx » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:23 am

PennBull wrote:
dkb17xzx wrote:
PennBull wrote:
dkb17xzx wrote:Question: is it better to wear a black striped suit (very thin stripes, bit "shiny," tailored) over an ill-fitting charcoal suit? After reading the threads, I bought a charcoal suit (Jos A Bank Signature) a couple days back -- had time to get the pants altered but not the jacket. It's a not a really bad fit but i'm naturally very skinny and so shoulders are a problem.

Note to others -- do not buy a Jos A Bank signature suit, ever. You're better off flushing your money down the toilet.

also.. are these good shoes?: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BECI6EK/ref=twister_B00BECI59G


If you're a skinny guy get a j crew Thompson fit from j crew factory; maybe won't be perfect but it'll be way way way better than your current options

Or a ludlow but I'm guessing you want the cheaper option

Those shoes are fine but if I were you I'd rather spend another hundred bucks and get so,me Park Aves


So... the black suit is definitely out? Yea i just the sale at nordstrom - im gonna go pick up the park aves: http://Error.com/pstjydn -- these, right?


Your link is broken but whatever Allen Edmonds Park Avenues are what you're looking for

Don't wear a shitty suit--Thompson j crew suits are pretty affordable and better for a skinny guy like you. Not the best quality but decent. Certainly fine enough for OCI. Better quality than JAB. Lapels a bit too narrow but not noticeable enough.


yea sorry about that - I fixed the link but I know which ones you're talking about because I believe I've seen those on TLS before. I'll check out J.Crew today and tomorrow and see what happens. FWIW, the black suit resembles something like this: http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/astfbackup/currentimages/shop/images/Style_Guide/colours/large/601014.jpg

WheatThins
Posts: 191
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:05 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby WheatThins » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:28 am

Question for you guys regarding suits and interviews.

I'm planning on wearing my dark blue suit that has light pinstripes. It's a great suit (Brooks Bros) and is tailored and fits well.

My question is whether the stripes are too "flashy" or inappropriate or whatever. I'll be wearing either a solid blue or white shirt with standard black shoes. I really don't want to have to buy a new suit, so hoping this works well.

LRGhost
Posts: 1869
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:49 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby LRGhost » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:38 am

WheatThins wrote:Question for you guys regarding suits and interviews.

I'm planning on wearing my dark blue suit that has light pinstripes. It's a great suit (Brooks Bros) and is tailored and fits well.

My question is whether the stripes are too "flashy" or inappropriate or whatever. I'll be wearing either a solid blue or white shirt with standard black shoes. I really don't want to have to buy a new suit, so hoping this works well.


You're fine. If you have a picture, that'd be great, but light pinstripes are alright.

User avatar
mephistopheles
Posts: 1947
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:43 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby mephistopheles » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:50 pm

who, with one suit to buy, gets pin stripes?

Swimp
Posts: 493
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 9:32 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Swimp » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:36 pm

mephistopheles wrote:who, with one suit to buy, gets pin stripes?


lol, RIGHT? what an asshole. glad i'm not that guy. high five, bro.

wildcatatpenn
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:40 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby wildcatatpenn » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:01 am

Swimp wrote:
mephistopheles wrote:who, with one suit to buy, gets pin stripes?


lol, RIGHT? what an asshole. glad i'm not that guy. high five, bro.


lmao

User avatar
mephistopheles
Posts: 1947
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:43 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby mephistopheles » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:52 am

Swimp wrote:
mephistopheles wrote:who, with one suit to buy, gets pin stripes?


lol, RIGHT? what an asshole. glad i'm not that guy. high five, bro.



nice hilarious sarcasm, and great 'lmao' response, you guys have me rolling, but really. when were pinstripes ever the go to

LRGhost
Posts: 1869
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:49 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby LRGhost » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:10 am

mephistopheles wrote:
Swimp wrote:
mephistopheles wrote:who, with one suit to buy, gets pin stripes?


lol, RIGHT? what an asshole. glad i'm not that guy. high five, bro.



nice hilarious sarcasm, and great 'lmao' response, you guys have me rolling, but really. when were pinstripes ever the go to


Dude, who fucking cares?

User avatar
First Offense
Posts: 6412
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:45 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby First Offense » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:24 am

mephistopheles wrote:who, with one suit to buy, gets pin stripes?


Maybe he got the suit for a different reason, or maybe he didn't have a ton of guidance on what he needed for his first suit.

User avatar
EfficientJimBreech
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:56 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby EfficientJimBreech » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:46 pm

Or maybe he just liked the suit. Point is, you're a douche.

1l2016
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:39 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby 1l2016 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:56 pm

FYI to anyone looking for shoes: Park Ave's are on sale on Amazon for like $240

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15410
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby sublime » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:58 pm

..

User avatar
PennBull
Posts: 15381
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:59 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby PennBull » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:59 pm

sublime wrote:Maybe a silly question, but how important is a bag?

Is there any reason I can't keep the shit I need in a portfolio thing that I happen to be overlooking?


Nope. Just have a leather padfolio thing.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15482
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:00 pm

sublime wrote:Maybe a silly question, but how important is a bag?

Is there any reason I can't keep the shit I need in a portfolio thing that I happen to be overlooking?

Padfolio should work just fine.

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15410
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby sublime » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:02 pm

..

Anonymous User
Posts: 273240
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:27 pm

I'm sure it's been asked before but can I get away with one good suit for OCI if I'm careful about spills, etc?

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm sure it's been asked before but can I get away with one good suit for OCI if I'm careful about spills, etc?

yeah it's fine. Just get navy or charcoal and don't eat spaghetti. Let it air out at night and you should be good.

User avatar
ymmv
Posts: 12946
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:36 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby ymmv » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:31 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm sure it's been asked before but can I get away with one good suit for OCI if I'm careful about spills, etc?

yeah it's fine. Just get navy or charcoal and don't eat spaghetti. Let it air out at night and you should be good.


Take taxis/Uber to interviews. IDK about you guys but I literally cannot walk across Philly/NY/DC in August for even twenty minutes without getting soaked in sweat, regardless of what I'm wearing.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273240
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:35 pm

Is going in with 4 other ppl on a hotel room a block away from OCI credited? It would likely cost $1300 total and I'm in a (very) humid market.

User avatar
ymmv
Posts: 12946
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:36 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby ymmv » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is going in with 4 other ppl on a hotel room a block away from OCI credited? It would likely cost $1300 total and I'm in a (very) humid market.


I don't see why not, but I can't imagine how that would be cheaper or more convenient than Uber. Although I suppose it would be sweet whenever you had a couple hours-long gap between screeners.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Br3v » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:44 pm

Credited method for taking a suit with you on a plane for a next day interview?


*Nothing in this post is intended to give the impression that I have such an interview.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.