OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
chrisbru

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby chrisbru » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Different anon, same message. I wore brown shoes, suit supply napoli suits, spread collar shirts (on occasion they were blue- gasp!) and still did quite well offer-wise.

IMHO: If you have personal style, you will not get dinged for showing a bit of it. I'm not talking crazy colored shirts and ties, but if you like brogues, or monk straps, or if you want to wear a pocket square, do it. Just do it well.

If a firm dings you for what you wear- and you really enjoy what you wear and plan on wearing it- you likely do not belong there.

Once again, please review the rules for anon. You're not shielding your identity from sensitive information with this post. No one can figure out who you are because of your OCI clothes.

ANECDOTAL EVIDENCE DOES NOT MEAN A THING HERE.

If you want to wear brown shoes and a blue shirt, go ahead dude. No one is saying that straying from the norm is an auto-ding.

The point of this thread is how to dress the most conservatively so that you can be 100% sure that what you're wearing doesn't hurt you in any way. You're not helping anyone by saying LOL I GOT OFFERZ AND DIDN'T WEAR EXACTLY WHAT WAS RECOMMENDED ITT SO ITS ALL STUPID AND INACCURATE. Because this thread is accurate, and gives advice for people who are looking to be cautious and are looking to spend money on something to wear for OCI.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:16 pm

Exactly. People have questions on what to wear. It is not good advice to promote extra items like fucking pocket squares; just a higher degree of difficulty.

ITT we help you find good deals on basic suits and basic shoes and how to look like a solid, conservative lawyer. The Men's Style thread is in the Lounge.

emciosn

Postby emciosn » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:24 pm

Hey everyone--I tried looking for some info in ITT with the search function on my question but couldn't find anything exactly on point.

I am clerking now so I don't have a ton of money to spend on new suits but I am in need of a couple replacement suits (2 of the TTT JAB suits I bought at the beginning of LS are wearing out--they were cheap though and I got a lot of use out of them so I can't complaing too much). I would like to get two suits and it would be nice if I could keep it under like $800.

I have been looking at the brooks brothers suiting essentials suits. They seem fairly nice and are the cheapest BB suits and will be an even better deal after Christmas during their semi-annual sale. From what I've read about past BB semi-annual sales it will probably be like $700 for two. Anybody have experience with the suiting essential suits? How is the quality for that price?

Also--JAB signature gold suits and only like $275 right now. I have read ITT that these are pretty nice suits if you can get them on sale. If I'm going to spend the money anyway, would be be better to get the sig gold suits or the suiting essentials suits? Thanks in advance!

emciosn

Postby emciosn » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:40 am

Update: JAB sig gold suits are down to $229 now--any thoughts on my post above?

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:44 am

I have two of the BB Suiting Essentials. They haven't held up any better than my random cheap JC Penney suits, but they are definitely more comfortable and I like the fit better. So, I guess it depends on how you like the JAB fit and how much extra a better fit is worth it to you.

Holynorth

Postby Holynorth » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:38 pm

I got these for Christmas.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CKV ... UTF8&psc=1

Looking through this thread, they seem to match the criteria of cap-toed, black leather, leather soles, lace-up, and not wing-tip. Are these ok for interviews?

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:43 pm

Holynorth wrote:I got these for Christmas.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CKV ... UTF8&psc=1

Looking through this thread, they seem to match the criteria of cap-toed, black leather, leather soles, lace-up, and not wing-tip. Are these ok for interviews?

Those are absolutely fine for interviews

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:06 pm

Thumbs up. The broguing is subtle enough that it will be fine.

Holynorth

Postby Holynorth » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:09 pm

Thanks to both of you. Just trying to save some money.

feralinfant

Postby feralinfant » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:45 pm

Alright I'm pretty familiar with the hive minds thoughts on things but still want to get the feedback.

I have an unexpected interview and I did not bring my suit home for the holidays with me. That's not the end of the world, I have someone to do some short order tailoring and I needed an at least decent second suit. I would just try to hit up the semi-annual and eat another 1818 but we don't have any here. We do have an outlet.

So what do you guys think, go for a BB 346 suit (not sure on the price point at the moment) or hit up Jos A Bank and just get a Signature suit for like 300? Or some unknown third option my ignorant self is oblivious to?

If the Signature suit-I know JAB tends to be bigger but I've never actually checked it out. If i'm pretty comfortable in the BB fitzgerald cut should I not even think about the Signature?

TYIA

VulcanVulcanVulcan

Postby VulcanVulcanVulcan » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:42 pm

Has anyone seen AE Strands (tan) on sale recently? I was hoping the Nordstrom half-yearly sale would have them, but only the black Strands were on sale.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:59 am

feralinfant wrote:Alright I'm pretty familiar with the hive minds thoughts on things but still want to get the feedback.

I have an unexpected interview and I did not bring my suit home for the holidays with me. That's not the end of the world, I have someone to do some short order tailoring and I needed an at least decent second suit. I would just try to hit up the semi-annual and eat another 1818 but we don't have any here. We do have an outlet.

So what do you guys think, go for a BB 346 suit (not sure on the price point at the moment) or hit up Jos A Bank and just get a Signature suit for like 300? Or some unknown third option my ignorant self is oblivious to?

If the Signature suit-I know JAB tends to be bigger but I've never actually checked it out. If i'm pretty comfortable in the BB fitzgerald cut should I not even think about the Signature?

TYIA

JAB is a decent option, just make sure you have it tailored well.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:53 pm

romothesavior wrote:JAB is a decent option, just make sure you have it tailored well.

even then, their shoulders are massive as all hell

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:01 pm

PennBull wrote:
romothesavior wrote:JAB is a decent option, just make sure you have it tailored well.

Some of us have big shoulders, bro.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:05 pm

Flips88 wrote:
PennBull wrote:

Some of us have big shoulders, bro.

I know haha but it's still a consideration for those who don't

feralinfant

Postby feralinfant » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:32 pm

Thanks for the replies. If anyone's curious about the outcome: I had a terrible experience at the JAB I went to and just couldnt feel good about the suits and the prices they had available so decided to keep looking. Ended up copping a Michael Kors suit that was on sale + another 20% off for opening up a credit card at younkers. All told, with alterations: $230 and it fits great.

Feelsgoodman.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:18 am

Anyone order from Charles Tyrwhitt? How do their shirts compare in fit and quality to Brooks Brothers no-iron shirts? I generally do the extra slim fit at Brooks Brothers and it fits fine in the torso but is almost too tight in the arms and shoulders. Anyone know how the Charles Tyrwhitt shirts compare? And are they machine wash and dry and ready to wear after?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:36 pm

I have an interview in Minnesota at the end of the month, I've been there but never in a professional setting. The hi today is -2, and the low is -20, not counting windchill.

Assuming this kind of weather, what is appropriate to show up to the interview wearing? Full CB style interview and (presumably) going out to lunch.

Should I just wear my suit with extra layers underneath? I have a couple jackets, but nothing really "professional" are these OK or should I get something new? Assuming no hat so I don't mess up my hair... gloves yes/no?

tyia

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have an interview in Minnesota at the end of the month, I've been there but never in a professional setting. The hi today is -2, and the low is -20, not counting windchill.

Assuming this kind of weather, what is appropriate to show up to the interview wearing? Full CB style interview and (presumably) going out to lunch.

Should I just wear my suit with extra layers underneath? I have a couple jackets, but nothing really "professional" are these OK or should I get something new? Assuming no hat so I don't mess up my hair... gloves yes/no?

tyia

Do you not own an overcoat of some sort?

5ky

Postby 5ky » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have an interview in Minnesota at the end of the month, I've been there but never in a professional setting. The hi today is -2, and the low is -20, not counting windchill.

tyia

Be a normal human being and wear a hat and gloves.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:28 pm

Suit, topcoat, gloves, scarf. Boom.

Maybe a pair of those 180 ear muff things.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:46 pm

romothesavior wrote:

tyia

Do you not own an overcoat of some sort?

No I have never considered such a thing were winter nights are 40 degrees. Do I need one? Some of my homies has a pea coat I could get does that work?

Other poster, what do you mean by hat and gloves? Like a beanie and snowboarding gloves?

Thanx guys I'm just new to sub-freezing temperatures...

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:No I have never considered such a thing were winter nights are 40 degrees. Do I need one? Some of my homies has a pea coat I could get does that work?

Other poster, what do you mean by hat and gloves? Like a beanie and snowboarding gloves?

Haha, no dude, don't wear snowboarding gloves to an interview.

Don't go out and buy a bunch of unnecessary winter clothes, but maybe try to ask around and borrow some stuff if you can. What Danger Zone said is pretty much credited. An overcoat, gloves (like leather gloves), a scarf, and maybe those earmuff things would be TCR if you could track those down, but don't go spending hundreds of bucks just to get through one interview.

UnderrateOverachieve

Postby UnderrateOverachieve » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:57 pm

Anyone have any experience with indochino for suits?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:28 am

romothesavior wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:No I have never considered such a thing were winter nights are 40 degrees. Do I need one? Some of my homies has a pea coat I could get does that work?

Haha, no dude, don't wear snowboarding gloves to an interview.

Don't go out and buy a bunch of unnecessary winter clothes, but maybe try to ask around and borrow some stuff if you can. What Danger Zone said is pretty much credited. An overcoat, gloves (like leather gloves), a scarf, and maybe those earmuff things would be TCR if you could track those down, but don't go spending hundreds of bucks just to get through one interview.

Thank you guys a lot. Last clarification, does pea coat count as an overcoat? Or do you mean like trench coat kinda thing (like does it need to be longer than waist length?)

Return to “Legal Employment”