OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BVest

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby BVest » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:41 pm

Rotor wrote:
5ky wrote:
Rotor wrote:
2014 wrote:Don't hold your breath waiting for Nordstrom Black Friday deals. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/1 ... 62774.html

I'm struggling to find the link between your comment and that article

Many of the businesses staying closed on Thanksgiving aren't geared towards your average Black Friday shopper. Nordstrom, for example, tends to do more business during its annual anniversary sale in July than on Black Friday, said spokesman Colin Johnson.

How do you get from that that there will be no Black Friday deals at Nordstrom? The implication is that the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale tends to have better deals or perhaps just has more success for the company because of the lack of Black Friday competition, but nothing in there says they don't have any deals.

To echo the TLS mantra, Retake.

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:11 pm

and the people here are supposed to have at least some passing familiarity with reading comprehension

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:03 pm

BVest wrote:How do you get from that that there will be no Black Friday deals at Nordstrom? The implication is that the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale tends to have better deals or perhaps just has more success for the company because of the lack of Black Friday competition, but nothing in there says they don't have any deals.

To echo the TLS mantra, Retake.

A) life is not a constant LR section
B) I would appreciate you showing me where I said there would be no Black Friday deals. Don't hold your breath =\= no deals. It just means Nordstrom doesn't put as much emphasis on the day, so it's less likely to have big deals.
C) sales or not, I appreciate that they are drawing a line on the craziness of the creeping Black Thursday.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:49 pm

I'm an associate at a business formal firm. I don't know anything about overcoats. I'm thinking of buying a navy overcoat. Okay to wear with any color suit (other than black)?

purpletiger

Postby purpletiger » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:42 pm

What's the word on AEs on eBay? I want to get the Strands in walnut (not for OCI) and I see a lot of "new" ones for $200ish versus $345 retail. That's a huge difference. Is there a catch? Am I missing something?

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:28 pm

purpletiger wrote:What's the word on AEs on eBay? I want to get the Strands in walnut (not for OCI) and I see a lot of "new" ones for $200ish versus $345 retail. That's a huge difference. Is there a catch? Am I missing something?

They go on sale for around that price or sometimes lower on a relatively regular basis. It's not out of the question that that would be the resell price on ebay, although it does seem a bit low. Links?

purpletiger

Postby purpletiger » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:51 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:
purpletiger wrote:What's the word on AEs on eBay? I want to get the Strands in walnut (not for OCI) and I see a lot of "new" ones for $200ish versus $345 retail. That's a huge difference. Is there a catch? Am I missing something?

They go on sale for around that price or sometimes lower on a relatively regular basis. It's not out of the question that that would be the resell price on ebay, although it does seem a bit low. Links?

See, e.g., http://www.ebay.com/itm/Allen-Edmonds-S ... 3387ae76e4

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Allen-Edmonds-S ... 1c39697d5b

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Allen-Edmonds-S ... 19e5879594

When's the next time I'll be able to find a non-eBay Strand for $200? Black Friday? Post-Christmas?

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:56 am

Those all seem to be lightly used. I bet you will find a sale for below 250 no later than mid January, but probably sooner.

sprezz

Postby sprezz » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:13 am

the shoebank right now has walnut strands cheaper than that if you're okay with poron insole and lucky size-wise (the brooks labeled ones are $149)

with that notch in the sole it looks like the right shoe in the first link, though not pre-owned, was used as a window model or something. the toe of the right shoe looks noticeably lighter than the one on the left, and it's got a crease on the quarter of the right shoe that doesn't have anything to do with wear. these are minor aesthetic imperfections. $200 sounds about in the ballpark for strands that have full treads but that won't be mistaken for brand new

prs362

Postby prs362 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm an associate at a business formal firm. I don't know anything about overcoats. I'm thinking of buying a navy overcoat. Okay to wear with any color suit (other than black)?

Would be interested in this as well. New to the Northeast, and thus new to overcoats in general. Black overcoat for the typical dark navy suit? Or is it a dark navy overcoat? A link to any commonly accepted overcoats would be greatly appreciated.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:14 pm

prs362 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm an associate at a business formal firm. I don't know anything about overcoats. I'm thinking of buying a navy overcoat. Okay to wear with any color suit (other than black)?

Would be interested in this as well. New to the Northeast, and thus new to overcoats in general. Black overcoat for the typical dark navy suit? Or is it a dark navy overcoat? A link to any commonly accepted overcoats would be greatly appreciated.

Keep in mind that there is a difference between an overcoat and a topcoat. An overcoat is longer, fuller, and heavier, whereas a topcoat is generally shorter (above the knee), typically a bit slimmer in cut, and lighter in material. I'd say most guys our age wear topcoats, but I own both and wear both. I generally wear a longer, heavier overcoat with my suit, and my shorter, lighter topcoat with anything else.

I would go with black or charcoal for your first overcoat, not navy. Those are the most versatile and will go with just about anything. You could even go with a tan camelhair color as well, if you want to branch out, but I'd stick with with charcoal or black for your first coat.

Here's a solid guide to the different types of coats, courtesy of Art of Manliness: http://www.artofmanliness.com/2012/12/11/mans-guide-overcoats/. They conflate topcoat and overcoat, but it's very informative. I'd get something similar to the Chesterfield in their guide. (Pretty sure that's an old Brooks Brothers coat, based on the model.) You might want to go a little bit longer, closer to the knee, but I personally like the simple, three or four button look with no frills. Pair that up with a nice scarf and you'll look great.

As with anything, make sure it fits. You want to have a little extra room in there if you're wearing a suit underneath.

Also, to the anon above, I hope you aren't wearing black suits to your office.

prs362

Postby prs362 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:31 pm

romothesavior wrote:
prs362 wrote:

Keep in mind that there is a difference between an overcoat and a topcoat. An overcoat is longer, fuller, and heavier, whereas a topcoat is generally shorter (above the knee), typically a bit slimmer in cut, and lighter in material. I'd say most guys our age wear topcoats, but I own both and wear both. I generally wear a longer, heavier overcoat with my suit, and my shorter, lighter topcoat with anything else.

I would go with black or charcoal for your first overcoat, not navy. Those are the most versatile and will go with just about anything. You could even go with a tan camelhair color as well, if you want to branch out, but I'd stick with with charcoal or black for your first coat.

Here's a solid guide to the different types of coats, courtesy of Art of Manliness: http://www.artofmanliness.com/2012/12/11/mans-guide-overcoats/. They conflate topcoat and overcoat, but it's very informative. I'd get something similar to the Chesterfield in their guide. (Pretty sure that's an old Brooks Brothers coat, based on the model.) You might want to go a little bit longer, closer to the knee, but I personally like the simple, three or four button look with no frills. Pair that up with a nice scarf and you'll look great.

As with anything, make sure it fits. You want to have a little extra room in there if you're wearing a suit underneath.

Many thanks

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:40 am

romothesavior wrote:
prs362 wrote:

No, I'm not wearing black suits to work.

I'm not sold on black being a versatile overcoat, but that's also why I asked. Of the eight pairs of shoes in my rotation (nine if counting boots), only two pairs are black. Don't see myself wearing a black overcoat with brown shoes/belt, especially something like walnut. I'm sure the black with brown issue has been hashed out before in this thread, but I can't bring myself to mix black with brown. Charcoal gets closer, but I don't wear brown shoes with a charcoal suit, so not sure I would wear brown shoes with a charcoal overcoat. Navy overcoat still sounds more versatile to me because I can justify wearing any color shoe with a navy.

Cicero76

Postby Cicero76 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
prs362 wrote:

No, I'm not wearing black suits to work.

I'm not sold on black being a versatile overcoat, but that's also why I asked. Of the eight pairs of shoes in my rotation (nine if counting boots), only two pairs are black. Don't see myself wearing a black overcoat with brown shoes/belt, especially something like walnut. I'm sure the black with brown issue has been hashed out before in this thread, but I can't bring myself to mix black with brown. Charcoal gets closer, but I don't wear brown shoes with a charcoal suit, so not sure I would wear brown shoes with a charcoal overcoat. Navy overcoat still sounds more versatile to me because I can justify wearing any color shoe with a navy.

So is this topcoat: http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/oute ... =hthr-grey

not okay for formal/business wear because it's gray?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:40 pm

Matching my overcoat with my shoes seems a little over the top and I don't give it much thought, but to each their own. But in any event, lots of people wear walnut with grey/charcoal, so I'm not sure why a charcoal overcoat would be an issue. Charcoal has got to be the most basic and simple overcoat color there is.

mu13ski

Postby mu13ski » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:24 am

Thoughts on this color grey? Too light?
https://www.combatgent.com/suits/the-gr ... n-fit-suit

Not necessarily for OCI, but just in general for wear around the office for an internship/job

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:22 pm

mu13ski wrote:Thoughts on this color grey? Too light?

Not necessarily for OCI, but just in general for wear around the office for an internship/job

I'd be more worried about what material goes into making a $125 suit.

Pufer

Postby Pufer » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:06 pm

Danger Zone wrote:

What they claim to be 100% Super 140s wool suit pants are $30 on their current sale. If they're decent (my guess from what I've heard is Banana Republic or JAB Executive level; totally unremarkable, but do the job), that's suddenly a nice source for very cheap slim-fit wool trousers. Just because I'm curious, I'm pulling the trigger and will report back on the fabric/workmanship on the pants.

-Pufer

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:11 pm

After doing OCI an CB's, I will say this is the most overblown part of it. As long as you don't look like a clown, there is absolutely 0 correlation between money spent on the wardrobe and success rate. It can only hurt, and absolutely cannot help.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:38 am

Pufer wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:

What they claim to be 100% Super 140s wool suit pants are $30 on their current sale. If they're decent (my guess from what I've heard is Banana Republic or JAB Executive level; totally unremarkable, but do the job), that's suddenly a nice source for very cheap slim-fit wool trousers. Just because I'm curious, I'm pulling the trigger and will report back on the fabric/workmanship on the pants.

-Pufer

Please do, sir.

Anonymous User wrote:After doing OCI an CB's, I will say this is the most overblown part of it. As long as you don't look like a clown, there is absolutely 0 correlation between money spent on the wardrobe and success rate. It can only hurt, and absolutely cannot help.

This post changes everything! Thank you so much for this brand new information. Truly a shocking revelation.

turbotong

Postby turbotong » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:36 am

Over 100,000 views in this thread!!! Go TLS-ers!!!

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:After doing OCI an CB's, I will say this is the most overblown part of it. As long as you don't look like a clown, there is absolutely 0 correlation between money spent on the wardrobe and success rate. It can only hurt, and absolutely cannot help.

That is literally the entire point of this thread: How to dress so it doesn't hurt you.

Good use of anon, by the way.

mu13ski

Postby mu13ski » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:47 am

Danger Zone wrote:

Ya, I'm hopefully optimistic though. The company has a pretty interesting background.
I have one of their slim fit suits in the mail that was bought for me as a gift for social occasions. Interested to see the quality. This is my first time buying a suit online so I'm also a bit nervous with that.

But any thoughts on the shade of that grey? Thinking about putting in my order while this sale lasts.

hlsperson1111

Postby hlsperson1111 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:37 pm

FYI: if any of y'all are signed up for rue la la (one of these online flash deals sites), they have an awesome sale on BB and Hickey Freeman suits right now (BB for 350, HF for 500).

sammis89

Postby sammis89 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:52 pm

chrisbru wrote:

That is literally the entire point of this thread: How to dress so it doesn't hurt you.

Good use of anon, by the way.

Different anon, same message. I wore brown shoes, suit supply napoli suits, spread collar shirts (on occasion they were blue- gasp!) and still did quite well offer-wise.

IMHO: If you have personal style, you will not get dinged for showing a bit of it. I'm not talking crazy colored shirts and ties, but if you like brogues, or monk straps, or if you want to wear a pocket square, do it. Just do it well.

If a firm dings you for what you wear- and you really enjoy what you wear and plan on wearing it- you likely do not belong there.

Return to “Legal Employment”